How to use my BMPCC4K with my vintage Contax Zeiss CY mount

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Gary film

How to use my BMPCC4K with my vintage Contax Zeiss CY mount

PostTue May 14, 2019 1:44 am

Hi,
First post on this forum, but a diligent reader. My turn to ask for advice today! Thanks for listening.

I just received my BMPCC4K and I am looking for an option to let me use the unit with my vintage Contax Zeiss lenses. All the lenses still have their original Contax-Yashica mount.

I found the ‘’Contax Yashica Lens to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster ULTRA x0.71 by Metabones’’ but the price has cooled me a bit : new at USD449.00 and nothing pre-own or used under USD400.00.
But I still pretty exited about the idea of revealing the unique texture and light of the Contax Zeiss lenses on the 4K image of the BMPCC4K. In addition, I am interested in the fact that this is not only an adapter but also a real booster that can bring the focal length of the lens close to its original length when used in front of a full frame. But the price...

Is there other options, according to you?
Maybe something less expensive, but still reliable?
Is the price worth it?
I am aware that it is a forced marriage and that some problems are to be considered, such as the lack of stabilization of the image and — of course — that it is a completely manual focus system.
Are there other issues I should expect?

For info, here is a listing of my vintage Contax Zeiss lenses (some from Japan, some from west Germany)

Contax Zeiss 25mm f2.8 Distagon T* AEG CY mount
Contax Zeiss 35mm f1.4 Distagon AEG T* CY mount
Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.4 Planar T* AEJ CY mount
Contax Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T* MMJ CY mount
Contax Zeiss 135mm f2.8 Sonnar T* AEJ CY mount
Contax Zeiss 200mm f3.5 Tele-Tessar T* AEG CY mount
Contax Zeiss 300mm f4 Tele-Tessar T* MMG CY mount

Best regards,

Gary
Gary
MacBook Pro 16 M1Max 64Gb 4Tb | Ventura 13.5.1
Resolve 18.6.2 | Desktop Video 12.7 | Blackmagic CLOUD | Project Server
UltraStudio 4K Mini | Speed Editor | BMPCC4K (v8.1)
ATOMOS NEON 24in 4K HDR | BENQ PD3205U | QNAP TVS-h1288x

Denny Smith

Re: How to use my BMPCC4K with my vintage Contax Zeiss CY mo

PostTue May 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Yes, use a non-speed Booster “dumb” adapter, good ones are around $250-200. I would not use the cheap $50 adapters, as they are not very accurate with the FFD, and use soft materials which wear quickly.

That said, the Metabones Speed Booster is the best option, and is the one I would use. I used the Metabones BMPCC/Nik Speed Booster with my Zeiss ZF lenses on the original Pocket and Micro Camera.
Now be aware, Metabones is releasing a BMPCC4K specific Speed Booster some time soon, they have already announced it. I would wait, and get that one. Meanwhile, you could use one of the less expensive dumb adapters.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

mico p

PostTue May 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Metabones makes a non-speedbooster cy to m43 adapter that costs $99.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... nt_to.html

You may also want to get a metabones lens support that works with that adapter if lens/adapter wiggle creeps up on you.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... t_for.html

Ian Henderson

PostTue May 14, 2019 7:12 pm

With a widest of 25mm I think you’re going to want to get a speedbooster - that’s 50mm full frame equivalent on full frame. If you get an XL speedbooster you can get that down to a 16mm and faster to boot, while using more of the glass.

Gary film

PostTue May 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Unless I'm wrong, we do not know if there will be a "Contax-Yashica mount on BMPCC4K" Speed Booster™ to come. I just wrote an email to Metabones and expect an answer, lather or sooner. In case there is no CY adapter, I guess this would mean that I will have to put an adapter ring (EF from Leitax for example) directly on each CY lens to use the Speed Booster™ in EF mount... or another mount type.

The USD100.00 Metabones adapter suggested by Mike is not a bad idea. I could use it later too. Maybe it's a good compromise.

Thanks Mike for the link to B&H. I did not think about that. This seems to be relevant. Now, it scares me, of course.
Last edited by Gary film on Tue May 14, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gary

Gary film

PostTue May 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Ian Henderson wrote:With a widest of 25mm I think you’re going to want to get a speedbooster - that’s 50mm full frame equivalent on full frame. If you get an XL speedbooster you can get that down to a 16mm and faster to boot, while using more of the glass.

I totally agree.

Gary
Gary

Uli Plank

PostTue May 14, 2019 11:19 pm

While it would be a bit sad to use a cheaper solution for such great glass, the Zhongyi Lens Turbo II is not too bad.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Ian Henderson

PostWed May 15, 2019 3:37 am

Gary film wrote:
Ian Henderson wrote:With a widest of 25mm I think you’re going to want to get a speedbooster - that’s 50mm full frame equivalent on full frame. If you get an XL speedbooster you can get that down to a 16mm and faster to boot, while using more of the glass.

I totally agree.

Gary

Gary - this may not be what you want to hear, but are you only using these lenses for cinematography, or do you have a Contax film camera? If the former, I'd seriously advise you consider converting them to EF. You have a very nice (and if in good condition, valuable) set, and this will vastly extend the use and appeal of the lenses. It's what I've done to mine.

I'm sure you know all this, but just in case... EF is kind of the cine standard for still glass and can be adapted to most lens mounts and used on a huge variety of cameras from Sony's to Blackmagic, RED, Arri and of course all Canon cameras. The Contax lenses look tremendous on the Blackmagic sensors shooting raw.

The best options are either http://www.leitax.com or https://www.simmodlens.com. You screw a high quality fixed stainless steel mount onto the back of the lens and it's then 'permanently' EF. Not cheap at $60 per lens, but you won't look back.

I've bought a EF>M43 Cine adapter, which is even more at $700 but it's the latest generation and has the locking mount which provides a hugely secure connection with the lens https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... micro.html

For your kit that's over $1000 all in, but you'll then have a tremendous set that can be used on any of the above cameras, and also a great Speedboster lens adapter, which I would advise leaving permanently on the camera, securely screwed into something like a Smallrig half cage https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... magic.html

The advantage of this system, is that you can then also use Canon lenses like the 24-105/f4 and 70-200/f4 and have two nice doccie zoom lenses (with top class stabilisation) that the Speedbooster turns into (approx) 15-70/2.6 and 45-130/2.6.

Stabilisation on the Contax's beyond the 50 (or 85 on the Speedbooster) is an issue hand held unless you have a shoulder rig (hence the addition of the Canons for fast run and gun work), but the manual focus is a wonderful asset not a downside. My 28/2.8 becomes a 18/1.8 on the Speedbooster and just looks incredible. I have a 85/1.4 but am considering looking for a 85/2.8 because it's so much smaller, lighter and cheaper, and the Speedbooster does wonders to the slightly slower aperture. Even the 18/4 comes into play at 12/2.6.

For all of these reasons the XL (0.64) Speedbooster is a much better option than the Ultra (0.71) as it makes better use of the full frame glass.

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed May 15, 2019 6:43 am

Uli Plank wrote:While it would be a bit sad to use a cheaper solution for such great glass, the Zhongyi Lens Turbo II is not too bad.

Agreed. It's a pretty decent focal reducer. Totally possible to capture very decent results if you're aware of its shortcoming. And the fact it's totally passive means it's well suited to vintage manual lenses.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Gary film

PostWed May 15, 2019 5:35 pm

A lot of info! Thanks Ian. Some comments and questions...

Ian Henderson wrote: Gary - this may not be what you want to hear, but are you only using these lenses for cinematography, or do you have a Contax film camera?

Comment : In fact, yes, I still use my two CONTAX RX 35mm and my darkroom ... But less than before and I miss more and more time. So there are pros and cons.

Ian Henderson wrote: The best options are either http://www.leitax.com or https://www.simmodlens.com. You screw a high quality fixed stainless steel mount onto the back of the lens and it's then 'permanently' EF. Not cheap at $60 per lens, but you won't look back.

Question : I hesitate to do it myself, damage the head of a screw and cry. But I can do business with a supplier who would guarantee the quality of the operation ... From 1-Beginner to 10-Expert, how do you consider the difficulty of setting a new EF mount on lenses of this age (the older is almost 50 years old)?

Ian Henderson wrote:I've bought a EF>M43 Cine adapter, which is even more at $700 but it's the latest generation and has the locking mount which provides a hugely secure connection with the lens https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... micro.html

Question : Metabones will soon launch its new Speed Booster ™ line produced exclusively for the BMPCC4K. Do you think, like Denny, that it would be wise to wait and buy a simple EF-MFT dump adapter at a low cost? Is the EF-MFT Speed Booster ™ adapter as good as the upcoming EF-BMPCC4K?

Ian Henderson wrote:For your kit that's over $1000 all in

Comment : This is the cons and I admit that it is rather heavy in the balance.

Ian Henderson wrote: but you'll then have a tremendous set that can be used on any of the above cameras, and also a great Speedboster lens adapter

Comment : That's the pros, I agree.

Ian Henderson wrote: Stabilisation on the Contax's beyond the 50 (or 85 on the Speedbooster) is an issue hand held unless you have a shoulder rig (hence the addition of the Canons for fast run and gun work), but the manual focus is a wonderful asset not a downside. My 28/2.8 becomes a 18/1.8 on the Speedbooster and just looks incredible. I have a 85/1.4 but am considering looking for a 85/2.8 because it's so much smaller, lighter and cheaper, and the Speedbooster does wonders to the slightly slower aperture. Even the 18/4 comes into play at 12/2.6.

Comment : This is valuable information. Thank you Ian for your time and all the detail. That really answers my questions.

Ian Henderson wrote: For all of these reasons the XL (0.64) Speedbooster is a much better option than the Ultra (0.71) as it makes better use of the full frame glass.

Question : Can you enlighten me on this specific point?

Gary
Gary

Denny Smith

PostWed May 15, 2019 6:22 pm

To start, using the 0.64 SB, changes the effective angle of view of the lenses to normal used AOV values/focal length equivalents, and produces the same field of view in the Pocket 4K as the equivalent focal length would be used in a classic STD. 35mm Cine sensor. For example a 50mm lens will give a 32mm field of view (30mm being the FF 50mm equivalent here). The 28mm will give you a nice 18mm AOV, withnthe 0.64. (which is a nice e FF 35mm equivalent). The difference between 0.71 and 0.64 is small, but more noticeable on the wider focal lengths. The larger the correction value (0.64) the more of the lens projected image circle you are using, keeping it closer to the IQ look that made it popular on Cine 35mm cameras, especially the “Hollywood” 28,, f/2.0, one of my favorites in this kit, along with the other f/2.0 lenses, stellar performers.

The 0.71 replicates more S35 Cine standard focal lengths, like 35mm on a 50mm, and 25mm form a 35mm, etc. Again, a BMPCC 4K specific SB is coming in this configuration (EF/BMPCC4K), but more expensive.

So the choice is really down to preference in focal lengths AOVs. Another advantage is sourcing a used BMCC EF/MFT Speed Booster for less $, but since the BMCC SB was designed for a dumb MFT mount (which made it less expensive) you will need to power the adapter from its USB connection if you ever use it with an auto EF lens. But for your Contax lens kit, it would be perfect, and no power or iris control is needed anyway. You should get similar optical performance on the Pocket 4K, as sensor stack is similar, and IQ looked good on the few samples I have seen using this combo. Will FF Contax lenses, you will not get any cropping.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ian Henderson

PostWed May 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Gary film wrote:Question : I hesitate to do it myself, damage the head of a screw and cry. But I can do business with a supplier who would guarantee the quality of the operation ... From 1-Beginner to 10-Expert, how do you consider the difficulty of setting a new EF mount on lenses of this age (the older is almost 50 years old)?

There's nothing to it apart from getting the screws out. But I had to run to my local tech for a single screw on two lenses that I almost stripped. They put some strong adhesive on them at the factory. If I was in the US I would have sent the lenses to Simmod or Duclos and just got the job done properly - including getting the apertures declicked and properly damped.

Gary film wrote:Question : Metabones will soon launch its new Speed Booster ™ line produced exclusively for the BMPCC4K. Do you think, like Denny, that it would be wise to wait and buy a simple EF-MFT dump adapter at a low cost? Is the EF-MFT Speed Booster ™ adapter as good as the upcoming EF-BMPCC4K?

Yeah really no idea on this, but the standard m43 one seems to work great. I'm sure the new one will be more finely tuned to the P4K sensor stack.

Gary film wrote:Question : Can you enlighten me on this specific point?

Denny has covered this, but essentially the XL/0.64 'focal reduces' more - i..e it takes a wider circle of the lens and focuses it down onto the small chip. Practically, just take your lens and multiply the focal length by 0.64 (or 0.71 for the Ultra). The XL gives you an extra 1 1/3 stop of light, and the Ultra an extra stop. Practically speaking there's no real practical point in a lens that is faster than about f2.8 on an XL SpeedBooster for video. That gets you down to f1.8 and you're not really going to be shooting much shallower than that unless you're an otherworldly focus puller.

Jermaine Cook

PostThu May 16, 2019 3:43 am

I have a Kipon BavEyes C/Y to m43 0.7x Focal reducer adapter that I nolonger need if you'd like to try it. I sent you a PM also, let me know. This way you could have a booster adapter to use that will get you by until you decide on whether you want to go for the Metabones BMPCC4k specific adapter once they release it at a later date. Just let me know.

Yiorgos Tryfonas

PostThu May 16, 2019 5:22 am

I have an extended Contax Zeiss set of 15 lenses, all MMs except my 28/2 and 100/2.8.
I have converted all of them to EF using permanent Leitax EF mounts. That way I can use them nicely with my G2 as well as with my Pocket4K and an XL Speedbooster taking the most advantage of the full frame glass. Focus gears are from followfocusgears, 77mm fronts are a mix of local and ebay step up rings/hoods and I have decklicked the apertures. It took me about one year to assemble this kit and to end up with these 15 I had to go over around 30 lenses, many with haze, balsam separation or other defects.
Back to the topic, there are non-permanent C/Y to EF solutions out there but none of them are as elegant or sturdy. This is due to the C/Y mount design, the little pin is never enough and I have broken quite easily a couple of those non-permanent adapters. I would never trust them for a high stakes shoot. While there is a C/Y to MFT Speedbooster (equivalent to the Ultra EF) I would highly recommend you look into getting permanent EF mounts. Both Leitax and Simmod are equally great and it comes down to where you live. Installing them on your own is not a big deal, just unscrew 3 (AE) or 4 (MM) screws and screw the mount on the top. You have to make sure though you get a set of these Wiha 26194 screw drivers that have a very hard tip. The 50x is perfect for the screws after heating them up with a soldering iron. Otherwise, you run a very high chance to strip the screws which is a very big headache.

Here are some photos of my set:

I would also recommend you have a throughout check on your lens using a strong LED light like the ones that mobile phones have these days. Haze is especially tricky to detect and it requires to carefully look through each of the elements (by altering the focus on your eyes and where the LED is shinning). Half of the C/Y that went through my hands had some kind of defect and all of them were sold as "MINT, no haze, no balsam separation, no fungus" etc. Most really mint copies have been picked up years ago by photo-philes and cinematographers that knew their worth for what they are. What's circulating around these days is mainly scraps.
Here is balsam separation on a $1200 35/1.4 MMJ that I got advertised as "MINT". Surely, the lens was like new, with the smoothest focus and not a sign of any dents or use. As you see in the bottom picture it indeed looks perfect in the first look. It's only when you shine the flashlight through that you discover the defect.

Everything I have filmed with my Pocket4K and G2 are pretty much on these Contax Zeiss lenses.
You can find them in this Youtube playlist.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 16, 2019 8:24 am

While this is all very good information, please allow me one minor correction: there is no 100mm f2.8, it's either f2.0 or f3.5 (I have a nice, quite complete set too). I can confirm that it has become difficult to get good ones for any reasonable price these days. Your best chance is Japan.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Tommaso Alvisi

PostThu May 16, 2019 8:33 am

Uli, the 100 2.8 is the Makro ;-)

Yiorgos Tryfonas

PostThu May 16, 2019 8:33 am

Uli Plank wrote:While this is all very good information, please allow me one minor correction: there is no 100mm f2.8, it's either f2.0 or f3.5 (I have a nice, quite complete set too). I can confirm that it has become difficult to get good ones for any reasonable price these days. Your best chance is Japan.

Hello Uli. Of course there is a 100mm f2.8. It's the Makro-Planar. Was produced only in AE version 1:1 Macro even in high serial numbers well into the MM era :)

Also to mention that it's those Japanese ebay sellers that describe the lens as "mint", then you end up paying import fees only to realise the defect. They accept the returns but import fees can't be claimed back that easily at all and they are significant for expensive lenses. Such an example was of a lens I got from one such seller that upon inspection had haze in 3 different elements. The middle element in particular was full of thin but long scratches, evident of a failed intense haze removal attempt. The lens compared to a good copy of the same lens and similar serial, had lifted blacks regardless of shooting conditions, decreased resolution and increased CA throughout all the stops. After returning the lens (losing $200 in import fees that I couldn't get back) the lens was up on eBay with the same "mint" description. It was then sold after a few days and never appeared again, evident of how many people don't realise they might have a compromised lens in their set. I got similar reports from other users; after me uploading my 35/1.4 with balsam separation another user checked his only to find the same thing although he was certain it was a great lens because it looked "alright" under normal light. The lens was returned after intensive arguments and with ebay stepping in. It ended up again on eBay with the same price and description. These are all those Japanese eBay sellers with hundreds and thousands of positive feedback. So extreme caution is advised. I got some great lenses from Japan but also quite a few certainly not as described and lost a lot of money in the process as it took me a while to realise mines were defective ending up selling them with an honest description and much reduced price.

Thankfully, in Korea where I live, the contax Zeiss are just know as some "old lenses" that nobody cares about so I could find some great copies which I could inspect ahead and in much lower prices than what people usually sell them for.

Last edited by Yiorgos Tryfonas on Thu May 16, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 16, 2019 10:31 am

My fault, right, the 100mm macro is f2.8. At least at infinity ;-)

@Yiorgos: in local shops, right? Maybe I should visit Korea.

Yiorgos Tryfonas

PostThu May 16, 2019 1:08 pm

Uli Plank wrote:My fault, right, the 100mm macro is f2.8. At least at infinity ;-)

@Yiorgos: in local shops, right? Maybe I should visit Korea.

There is some stock at the shops but not that extensive. I have already picked up some of the premiums I could find (21/2.8 80x serial just out of the box for $1000, 35/1.4, 28/2 etc). I don't see many more copies around; just some 28/2s. Plenty of stock for the less premium lenses (2.8s etc.) for okay prices (20~40% cheaper than ebay) but those can be found easily anywhere anyways. Some have copies of the super premiums (55/1.2, 85/1.2, 200/2 etc.) but those are quite pricey to begin with. Also, not every shop sells them cheap, some are quite a rip off.
There are also the occasional private ads where I got several lens at really low prices. I picked up the 85/1.4 MMJ from a grandpa for $200. He used to be a photographer at a newspaper back in the 90s, he bought that lens back in the day for his private collection, it was pretty much untouched. He didn't bother or care to look much was just getting rid of his stuff because he was moving back to his hometown. I have also picked up the 18/4 MMJ with original hood ring mint for $350, the 28/2.8 MMJ for $150 and so on. But those come and go of course and it could take a while before somebody decides to sell and still requires meeting up etc... Sometimes you see some ridiculous ads; I have seen the 135/2.8 MM going away for $80 or the 50/1.4 for $150. I lost a 135/2 MMG for $650 because I didn't have cash at that point and of course it disappeared in a day. There is even a Standard Prime 35/2 7xxx serial for sale right now from a private seller for around $1000. It has been there for almost half a year, lowering its price step by step and I'm seriously considering starting a set just because of it.
Last edited by Yiorgos Tryfonas on Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uli Plank

PostThu May 16, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks for such detailed information, really appreciated!

I envy you for the 21mm.

Gary film

PostFri May 17, 2019 2:17 pm

Thank you all for the detailed information.
Very informative. This illuminates a lot. Thanks Yiorgos, Uli, Ian and Denny for your time and your specific comments, especially about differences between Speed Booster™ 0.64 and 0.71. It's very appreciated.

So, first, I'll doublecheck the condition of my lenses with great attention (thanks Yiorgos for the advices). I've e-mailed Simmod Lens and I'm waiting for a price confirmation, but if everything is OK, I'll install EF mounts on each lens. I think Yiorgos' and Ian's arguments are convincing. I'll do it on my own. With the right tools and a good screwdriver (!), I think I'll be fine. I may try to de-click one or two lenses just to test the difficulty of the operation. We'll see. Then, I'll match the lenses with a cheap ''dumb'' adapter, while waiting for the Metabones's EF SpeedBooster ™ -BMPCC4K, which should be available soon according to them... and if the price is affordable. Otherwise, I'll just stick with the EF-M43 0.64x. Yiorgos, thanks for the picture. Really nice set. I'll send you some photos of my own kit and some footage when everything will be to my satisfaction.

I look at my CONTAX RX 35mm units on the shelf and I feel a bit like a traitor. I'll give them EF-CY adapters and hope they will be able to get over this betrayal.

Thanks everyone!
Gary

rick.lang

PostFri May 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Gary, you’re giving those lenses a new life. Once they were living well on an old stills camera, but you’re resurrecting them to live on video cameras and perhaps using them on a new stills camera one day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostMon May 20, 2019 9:10 am

If you should ever consider the 18mm f4, please be aware that it probably won't fit with a Speedbooster due to it's protruding rear lens (a great lens, nevertheless).

Ian Henderson

PostMon May 20, 2019 9:22 am

Uli Plank wrote:If you should ever consider the 18mm f4, please be aware that it probably won't fit with a Speedbooster due to it's protruding rear lens (a great lens, nevertheless).

Ooh - really? I was planning on getting one. Is that the case for all versions of the Speed Booster?

mico p

PostMon May 20, 2019 1:30 pm

I have the 18mm f4 c/y lens and metabones c/y to m43 speed booster in my hand right now and it fits.

Gary film

PostMon May 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Is it something you can fix with a grinder, like some of the AEG lenses? Guys from 'Simmod lens vintage' learn me that some of those lenses have a pin that have to be grinded to use a CY original mount with an EF new mount + the Metabones Speed Booster. It is not an easy operation and I will ask a local manufacture to do it for me. According to Simmod, that concern only some of my AEG lenses. MMJ have the same pin, but you can remove it easily and u do not need to grind anything.

I do not have my lenses with me at the moment so I can not confirm 100% those affirmations, but Simmod looks pretty sure about that. I'll have my lenses with me on few days, I will confirm at this moment.

In anycase, I will NOT grind anything before I get the EF monut and a SB. That is an operation you can not reverse, of course.

Gary
Gary

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon May 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Uli Plank wrote:If you should ever consider the 18mm f4, please be aware that it probably won't fit with a Speedbooster due to it's protruding rear lens (a great lens, nevertheless).

It fits on my MB 0.64x, MB 0.58x & Mitakon Turbo II 0.71x.

but all my lenses are converted to EF with Leitax mounts (the best solution). Plus I did have to file down a protruding part on everyone of my Contax lenses though to have them work with EF mounts.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Uli Plank

PostMon May 20, 2019 3:50 pm

It doesn’t fit my Contax to NEX Speedbooster.
But I can imagine it works with Leitax mounts since these add 1,5mm.

BTW, from the Simmod site: "To avoid stripping the screws, we strongly recommend using a soldering iron to apply heat to each screw before removing them.

Hold the soldering iron on each screw for 3-5 minutes to dissolve the glue applied to the screw from the factory. Remove the screws."

Denny Smith

PostTue May 21, 2019 3:54 am

I think you mean 3-5 seconds (not minutes) with the soldering iron? :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ian Henderson

PostTue May 21, 2019 6:01 am

Gary film wrote:Is it something you can fix with a grinder, like some of the AEG lenses? Guys from 'Simmod lens vintage' learn me that some of those lenses have a pin that have to be grinded to use a CY original mount with an EF new mount + the Metabones Speed Booster. It is not an easy operation and I will ask a local manufacture to do it for me. According to Simmod, that concern only some of my AEG lenses. MMJ have the same pin, but you can remove it easily and u do not need to grind anything.

I do not have my lenses with me at the moment so I can not confirm 100% those affirmations, but Simmod looks pretty sure about that. I'll have my lenses with me on few days, I will confirm at this moment.

In anycase, I will NOT grind anything before I get the EF monut and a SB. That is an operation you can not reverse, of course.

Gary

The lenses all vary a bit in their construction. Some of them the pin is on screws and can be removed, other it isn't really in the way, others it needs to be trimmed. But I think clipping it off with side cutters while the lens is partially disassembled is a better idea than grinding and leaving shards of metal everywhere.

Having said that, if you buy the cine adapter with the locking ring, which I have, I don't think you need to do this.

Uli Plank

PostTue May 21, 2019 6:46 am

Denny Smith wrote:I think you mean 3-5 seconds (not minutes) with the soldering iron?

Well it's cited from the Simmod site. Maybe they have a very small one :D

Denny Smith

PostTue May 21, 2019 4:22 pm

I guess so Uli, sounds risky to me... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Yiorgos Tryfonas

PostWed May 22, 2019 12:18 am

About the conversations about the Speedboosters and Contax lenses not fitting.
Every lens, AE or MM, will fit perfectly fine without any alteration on the latest Metabones ULTRA and XL MFT-EF versions (with the XL and Ultra written in yellow). That can be both with a permanent (Leitax/Simmod) or non-permanent adapter.
The Viltrox, other cheap focal reducers and some older versions of the Metabones Speedbooster have their elements a bit further out and there fore a couple of AE lenses (18/4 and 28/2 for example) may hit the focal reducer glass element while focusing. This is not the case with the Ultra or XL as mentioned above.
It's not recommended for the Pocket4K but in any case the 0.58x Speedbooster made for the first pocket also had clearance issues with many of the Contax lenses and a slight modification was required.
Again, with the Ultra or XL you won't have any problem.

I don't know about other focal reducers that some mention but I feel I need to say something about people that talk about grinding the lens. There is a very dreadful and dangerous "tutorial" on a blog page out there that recommends you cover the back of the lens with tape and start grinding it with some tool. That blog is responsible for a lot of messed up lenses and why people mentioning about grinding to begin with. This is the equivalent of "bombing it". Using a nuclear bomb to slaughter your cattle. Every time somebody does this, a tear falls down a Zeiss engineer somewhere in the world. You get the idea. DO NOT grind the lens. The only problem with any Contax and focal reducers is when either the iris pin or the mount protection may touch the outer area of the focal reducer (not the glass). In that case you will be unable to change the iris or it will get stuck at some point. Fortunately, you don't need the iris pin on modern cameras. There is a simple solution: you can simply use a wire cutting pliers and cut those out. After doing this in 10 seconds, resulting in danger-free, perfectly cut pins, you will realise how absurd is the idea of grinding. The mount protection is rarely the problem, it's the iris pin the protrudes more. You can of course open up the back of the lens and simply take the pin out, it's not rocket science but can make people that are unfamiliar with opening their lenses a bit nervous. Also some of the lenses have this pin completely connected with the rest of the iris mechanism and you can't just unscrew that part off. In either case, this is just for people stuck with some older/cheaper focal reducer. New Ultra/XL MFT-EF don't have this problem at all and I suspect the Pocket4K specific Speedbooster won't as well.

Denny Smith wrote:I think you mean 3-5 seconds (not minutes) with the soldering iron? :roll:
Cheers

It is 3-5 minutes right on the screw, so the screw warms up and break the thread lock. Nail polish remover (acetone) via a cotton swab and allowing it to make its way inside the screw is another great way. Both ways are safe to the lens/glass.

John Griffin

PostWed May 22, 2019 7:04 am

Also when attempting to undo lens screws make sure you have JIS screwdivers and not Philips.

Gary film

PostFri May 24, 2019 1:12 pm

Yiorgos Tryfonas wrote:DO NOT grind the lens. The only problem with any Contax and focal reducers is when either the iris pin or the mount protection may touch the outer area of the focal reducer (not the glass). In that case you will be unable to change the iris or it will get stuck at some point. Fortunately, you don't need the iris pin on modern cameras. There is a simple solution: you can simply use a wire cutting pliers and cut those out. After doing this in 10 seconds, resulting in danger-free, perfectly cut pins, you will realise how absurd is the idea of grinding.

Thank you Yiorgos for the precision and detail of your information. It's very appreciated. I take note!
Gary

miguelangel_cm

PostThu Apr 01, 2021 9:12 pm

Hello everybody, potential Blackmagic user here who happens to have Contax glass as well.

Apologies for reviving an old threat, but did anybody ever try the Metabones Contax-M43 Cine .71x Speedbooster mentioned above? (damn, that's a long name)
I'm hesitant to convert my glass to EF, so I'm looking at possible alternatives.
Also, as other people mentioned, there are other offerings from Kipon or Zhongyi Lens Turbo II, though I'm not sure of their quality..

Cheers from Spain

John Griffin

PostFri Apr 02, 2021 8:24 am

You can convert to EF in less permanent ways using cheap clip on adapters from Ebay that don't require messing with lens screws. They can be semi permanently secured with a few dabs of non hardening glue or thread retainer.

miguelangel_cm

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 9:01 am

John Griffin wrote:You can convert to EF in less permanent ways using cheap clip on adapters from Ebay that don't require messing with lens screws. They can be semi permanently secured with a few dabs of non hardening glue or thread retainer.

Thank you. I also considered that, but after reading some reviews from other people, that doesn't seem like the best option in the end, especially for heavier lenses like the 85 or 35 f1.4. The last thing I want is the lens falling off mid shoot... Also, there may still be some "play" between the lens and the adapter, which can result in a shaky image when using a follow focus for example.

I know the most "secure" option is Leitax, but since I'm aiming for the BMPCC 4K and we're probably seeing the end of EF mount cameras, I don't see much sense in spending hundreds on Leitaxing all my lenses...
That being said, the CINE CY-M43 speedbooster seems like a good option, just haven't found any reviews anywhere!

Return to Cinematography