Narrative work shot on the BMCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Robert Bentley

Narrative work shot on the BMCC

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Everything on vimeo is camera tests or a trailer to something we might one day see in 2 years if it ever finishes in post and gets distribution. I want to see some full narrative shorts where people have a conversation together on camera. Anyone got a link to anything good? :)

John Brawley

Re: Why is it so hard to find narrative work shot on the BMC

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 10:55 pm

Robert Bentley wrote:Everything on vimeo is camera tests or a trailer to something we might one day see in 2 years if it ever finishes in post and gets distribution. I want to see some full narrative shorts where people have a conversation together on camera. Anyone got a link to anything good? :)

Puberty Blues season 1. (Alexa, BMCC and C300) https://itunes.apple.com/au/tv-season/puberty-blues-season-1/id548189946
Offspring Season 4 (EPIC and BMCC) https://itunes.apple.com/au/tv-season/offspring-season-4/id637992317

Very soon, "Defender", part of the "The Turning". (BMCC and a little bit of EPIC) http://arenamedia.com.au/development/
Very soon Underbelly Squizzy. (EPIC and BMCC)

I've had earlier access than most. The thing is, even with with fast turnaround TV it takes time to shoot and edit and distribute a film or Series. I was shooting with the very first prototype on Puberty Blues and that was only shooting a year ago. Many haven't had their cameras until more recently and it will take time for people to get to know the camera well enough to be confident to choose it in narrative drama production. These 4 jobs are basically what I've been shooting in the last 12 months full time since I've had access to the camera.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Robert Bentley

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Thanks John, but I really like to see something shot completely on the BMCC. It makes it easier to differentiate between which shot is which to know what you're getting.

ChrisBarcellos

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 11:41 pm

One of the problems is sound. Like me, most short shooters are going to record sound single system. The camera hasn't had the firmware added yet to make that a clean process. We are all kind of holding our breath hoping that the firmware wizard figures it out.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Robert Bentley wrote:Thanks John, but I really like to see something shot completely on the BMCC. It makes it easier to differentiate between which shot is which to know what you're getting.

Then you'll need to start paying JB and the rest of us a lot more to do your research and "proof of concept" productions for you.

:roll:

-

Brad Ballew

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 am

We'll be shooting a 48 Hour film on my BMCC this weekend. I'll post it when I can.
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

Josh Newman

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 am

I shot a 48 hour with it recently too. Don't think I can show it for about another month though sorry.

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 12:57 am

Robert Bentley wrote:Thanks John, but I really like to see something shot completely on the BMCC. It makes it easier to differentiate between which shot is which to know what you're getting.

We can see your point but you must admit it is satisfying to know that the BMCC can work so well alongside some of the most accepted digital cinema cameras in use today. We all truly appreciate the use that John Brawley has made of the BMCC EF and BMCC MFT in his narrative work and his tests.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Robert Bentley

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 am

I think it's fantastic that it mixes with Arri footage. Especially to the point where I can't tell which is which. :lol:

But I'll probably never shoot with an Arri anytime soon, so it's nice to see what is just BMCC. I shoot narrative stuff and mixed camera shoots always disappoint me when trying to decide on a camera. I like to know it's all BMCC. Makes me more excited to see it. :geek:

Robert Bentley

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 1:05 am

Brad Ballew wrote:We'll be shooting a 48 Hour film on my BMCC this weekend. I'll post it when I can.

Awesome, would love to see it! :D

Jason R. Johnston

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 am

Other than the TV spots I just shot these past few days, a few music videos coming up and a July wedding, my movie biz partner is coming up with a short film we'll be shooting in August. Then there's the post process and yadda-yadda... It just takes bloody time to do good work especially when on the cheap.

Then, there's some more film races coming up. Those I'll post the day after the race results.

Last week, I ordered my camera Monday and it arrived Wednesday morning. I was shooting Thursday night, Friday and Saturday. I have nothing but nice things to say about the camera. In fact, a few times representatives of the client (a high-end furniture store and interior design firm) would say, "I've never seen a camera like that. It's pretty." And I'd say, "wait until you see the commercial!" So, yeah. Here's a work-in-progress screenshot taken from FCPX. This is from the ProRes being lightly graded in the editor. No biggie.

In fact, check out this little piece of work from Camp Comet:

Anyway, stuff's coming soon. Just know that pros will always be able to squeeze a lot of juice from a lemon, but an amateur would destroy a perfectly good sirloin if you catch my meaning. I've seen RED footage that'd make you puke from all the DSLR-looking crushed blacks and awful composition. Anyway...just hang in there. The good stuff will come. We're just damn busy.
JASONRJOHNSTON.COM | CINEMATOGRAPHER | DIRECTOR | EDITOR | COLORIST
RED Komodo | DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5 | 2023 MacBook M2 Pro 14

ungovernedreason

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am

here is an example of a burnt steak. Some people arent egotistical professionals. Not a back and forth exactly but still dialog driven. Amateur family based but alright.
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Cristobal Infante

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Have look at our shorts category:

http://bmcc.tv/category/gallery/shorts/

OneShot.tv

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 4:10 pm

This short story is all filmed by the BMCC:

(It's all in Dutch, I'm sorry ;)....)
Greetings,

Joas

OneShot Media
to convince

www.oneshot.tv

Jason Hinkle

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I recently shot a segment for Roc Nation on the BMCC but as per usual, it's not ready yet ;-)

I think there's a bunch of issues as far as why there is a lot of test footage but not many "real" productions out there yet. The main one being that most people have only had the camera in their hands for a few months and professional productions have lead time, editing time, promotion time, etc. Camera operators are still figuring out the tricks and rigging for the BMCC. I also think there is a culture of indie filmmakers that shoot a lot of test footage. I'm sure those reasons range from actually testing the camera to having nothing better to shoot at the moment, or just simply trying to get views for their work. I myself have shot a lot of test footage as well but I don't generally feel like editing it with music or whatever to make my tests presentable for sharing.

I bet we'll start seeing a ton of BMCC footage towards the end of this year and next year though.

Robert Bentley

PostTue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 pm

Just saw this was uploaded, looks very crisp. :shock:

Black Magic Camera Narrative Scene by Ryan Emanuel

Matthew Silver

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 1:29 am

Robert Bentley wrote:Everything on vimeo is camera tests or a trailer to something we might one day see in 2 years if it ever finishes in post and gets distribution. I want to see some full narrative shorts where people have a conversation together on camera. Anyone got a link to anything good? :)

This is the first in a series of short film based videos we did for an education association. This tells the story of how Legendary Street Dancer D-Tron averts the Dance Battle Apocalypse.

We actually just shot a musical short film with the BMCC that's in post right now. The other two - one is a ghost story, the other a Kung Fu movie tribute, both in post production right now.

Matthew

Brad Ballew

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 2:09 pm

Josh Newman wrote:I shot a 48 hour with it recently too. Don't think I can show it for about another month though sorry.

I think we can put it up online right away as long as we have the 48 Hour slate at the beginning. That's my understanding from what they say here: http://www.48hourfilm.com/en/filmmakers ... .php#note1

However, if you have a SAG actor you have to get permission from SAG.

How was your experience with the 48 Hour Fest? This will be our first one, so I am curious to hear about other people's experiences. How did you guys do? Will I see your film at filmapalooza? :)
Brad Ballew

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 pm

ChrisBarcellos wrote:One of the problems is sound. Like me, most short shooters are going to record sound single system. The camera hasn't had the firmware added yet to make that a clean process. We are all kind of holding our breath hoping that the firmware wizard figures it out.

Not me. I'll be using dual system sound for almost everything that I shoot. The sound quality on the BMCC is pretty good, but I'm an audiophile... I won't be satisfied with sound that isn't as good as my picture. That means that I'll eventually end up investing in a field recorder upgrade, of course. :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

John Brawley

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Tamerlin wrote:
Not me. I'll be using dual system sound for almost everything that I shoot. The sound quality on the BMCC is pretty good, but I'm an audiophile... I won't be satisfied with sound that isn't as good as my picture. That means that I'll eventually end up investing in a field recorder upgrade, of course. :)

Not only that, but you then have the freedom to move the camera without cables being attached just for recording sound.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Jun 19, 2013 10:59 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Not only that, but you then have the freedom to move the camera without cables being attached just for recording sound.

jb

Totally agree. The more film I shoot, the more I do handheld, and I've also been practicing with a stabilizer. I'm used to shooting on sticks because I've been using 4x5 for so long, so getting used to shooting hand held is liberating.

Now to get used to consuming disk space like it's going out of style :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Brad Ballew

Re: Narrative work shot on the BMCC

PostFri Jun 28, 2013 7:56 pm

Here is our 48 Hour film that we did this past weekend. It screened last night so we can post it online now. This was not only our first 48 Hour Film Fest, but the first time we all worked as a crew on a film, so things were a little more slow moving than we would have liked. We didn't start shooting until 1 and the sun was setting when we wrapped. As the DP and the editor this was very worrisome, however all things considered I don't think it turned out too bad. There are definitely some shots that make me cringe when I watch it, but hey.. we made it in 48 Hours so whatever.

This was shot in RAW which I probably won't do next year, because it did slow things down some. We recorded audio separately which ended up being a huge pain and that put us behind big time since we ended up shooting way more footage than I thought we would. It took our audio guy all night to sync the audio, this ... after we put him the worst location possible for sound. We were surrounded by giant air conditioning units, the metro rail was right next to us, so was a hospitable with care flights coming and going, .. oh and there were 20-30 mile per hour winds.

So it was a hell of an experience and we dropped off our film with only minutes to spare. Lots of fun, but we will do things a bit differently next year. :)

Anyway, here it is:
Brad Ballew

Matt Pritchard

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

I saw this on vimeo today.

http://bmcc.tv/salt/

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 9:15 am

I shot some, not exactly narrative but narrativeish :D

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

Darryl Gregory

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 10:56 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:I shot some, not exactly narrative but narrativeish :D

Yeah Narrativeish is about right...Probably the best damn footage from the BMCC I have ever seen :lol:

--->Frank "I shot some" haha yeah some mighty nice ****! :mrgreen:

Love your Join for Victory footage!!!!!

Frank Glencairn

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm a humble character , you know :mrgreen:
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

rick.lang

PostFri Jul 05, 2013 12:52 am

Frank Glencairn wrote:I'm a humble character , you know :mrgreen:

Pictures without words can be the strongest narrative. So good.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography