Ursa Mini Pro PL Mount discontinued?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

WonSeokChoi

PostFri May 24, 2019 7:18 am

Hi!!

I was looking for a PL-mount for the Ursa Mini Pro (first version), but it seems to be unavailable in The Netherlands, is this mount discontinued?

Deliard

Re: Ursa Mini Pro PL Mount discontinued?

PostFri May 24, 2019 8:48 am

It's still listed on URSA Mini Pro Accesories product page, so i highly doubt it is discontinued.

Also PL mount for URSA Pro G1 and G2 should be exactly the same thing so it would be weird.

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 24, 2019 9:30 am

WonSeokChoi wrote:Hi!!

I was looking for a PL-mount for the Ursa Mini Pro (first version), but it seems to be unavailable in The Netherlands, is this mount discontinued?

This shop in Germany has it in stock:
https://www.videodata.de/shop/products/ ... Mount.html
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Denny Smith

PostFri May 24, 2019 6:13 pm

The Ursa Mini Pro (both models) and the Ursa Broadcast all use the same mounts, (except the B4 Mount, which is camera specific), including the PL mount. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri May 24, 2019 10:34 pm

My URSA Mini 4.6K PL (original, not the Pro) was dropped months ago I think, well before the recent demise of the URSA Mini 4.6K EF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSat May 25, 2019 6:30 am

Yes, I noticed it was no longer listed in BMD site last year Rick.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSat May 25, 2019 2:50 pm

I’d think the URSA Mini Pro G2 4.6K PL mount camera would continue to be available and in demand by cinematographers. I hope that the demand for that mount is greater than the casual forum reader might think.

It’s interesting to me that just about everyone on the forum is attracted to the value of BMD cameras for their codecs and colour science applied to the sensors they offer which sounds very professional and/or aspirational to obtain high image quality. But that didn’t translate into adoption of the traditional cinematographer’s modern mount of choice: PL. And it hasn’t also moved the needle significantly toward parfocal zooms either. Demand continues to be strong for mounts and lenses often associated with photography. And that’s unfortunate in a way because things are always more complicated and have potentially limiting compromises when you don’t use the right tools for the job.

In a way the constraint has been the large number of legacy lenses people own using various mounts intended for photography. I was fortunate to have only a few photography lenses and zooms so it was easier for me to move to PL mount systems. The benefit has been ease of use and great flexibility that allows me to put those modern PL lenses I have on ‘photography’ mounts like uMT on the BMPCC4K.

The one exception to my approach will the Fujinon MK series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

WonSeokChoi

PostMon May 27, 2019 1:02 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your answers. If I am correct the PL mount for Ursa Mini Pro G1 is the same as the one for the G2 and is still available. Maybe it's just short on stockage in The Netherlands.

I fully agree with you, Rick. I use to rent the Alexa mini for bigger commercial jobs. However, if I rent decent glass and put that on my Ursa Mini Pro, I often get almost the same results. Especially with HMI light in studio settings. So I'd prefer a PL-mount on my UMP.

Denny Smith

PostMon May 27, 2019 5:53 pm

Yes, the G1 and G2 use the same PL mount. Here is an almost new one for sale for $200: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2 ... Never-used)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 27, 2019 8:54 pm

The PL mount for the Mini Pro G1 and G2 is definitely still available.

Perhaps the reseller is out of stock but this can certainly be ordered in and is available worldwide.

rick.lang

PostMon May 27, 2019 9:56 pm

Reassuring when you can’t find something due to its demand exceeding supply. Nice to know.

Begrudgingly that supply curve seems to be true for the BMPCC4K but I hate to think I’ve implied the wait for that baby is nice! Now a real baby can be expected to arrive in nine months, and real parents count on that, so you can understand my P4K baby better be here... now would be nice! May 31- June 1 festival and twenty hours recording work depends on it.
Rick Lang

WonSeokChoi

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 10:01 am

Okay ordered it and it will probably be delivered in a few days.

Do any of you have experience with changing the EF to PL mount? There is one youtube video of a guy changing it. It seems pretty straight forward. But I don't know much about the shimming part. Is it lens depending how much you need to shim, or is the shim always the same?

Is the shim kit included with the mount or should I buy that separately?

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 4:05 pm

The details should be in the appropriate manual. Be careful to read the section regarding the Pro G1/G3 as it’s different for the URSA Mini 4.6K (non-Pro) camera. Normally BMD includes any change of shim with the optional mount package. That’s what’s happened previously at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 4:13 pm

You will also need a micro torque driver and the correct size bit. With the Micro driver, the change out is fairly easy. Just pay attention to the shim, get the cutout around the contact pins, and make sure the camera is turned off before starting. Also, remove any power source, including the battery.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

WonSeokChoi

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 am

Cool, thanks guys!! I guess you have to do it a few times to get it done smoothly.

Can't wait to put some nice Angenieux glass on it :)

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 3:41 am

For what it's worth you don't HAVE to use a torque driver.
Just make sure you don't over-tighten the screws in the mount.

The first time you change mounts it may take you five or ten minutes. After that it is much quicker as you get used to the procedure. It is very simple... just make sure you do it in a clean environment and you follow the instructions.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 5:12 am

True Tim, yiu do not “need” the micro torque driver, but it does prevent the screws from being over tightened, or striping one out. You can tighten the screws with a regular driver, until they set (become hard to turn, then turn the screw about 1/4 turn more to tighten it down. This will help get them evenly tightened, but the torque driver does a quicker and better job,
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Hey, Tim, don’t tell me I had to go all the way to Germany for nothing!

Tight is a relative term unless you use a quality torque driver, mine is one of the popular Wera drivers. I feel much safer having the torque set in absolute terms. Of course I only went to OneTip to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography