BMCC filmconvert

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

WAUU

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:36 am

BMCC filmconvert

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 1:18 am

Anyone tried filmconvert with the BMCC?

How do you add the BMCC camera profile to the film convert? I only see RED, CANON and PANASONIC, as options. I have downloaded the BMCC profile but it does not show up.

Would be cool to see how it works ;)

(I use the DEMO version, just want to see how it handles BMCC footage before I buy it)
Offline
User avatar

adamroberts

  • Posts: 4510
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 am
  • Location: England, UK

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 1:35 am

I use it on some jobs. The BMCC profile works well with the Film mode ProRes footage.

Not sure the demo version allows access to other camera profiles. Normally you download the profile, run the installer and then launch the app and they appear in the dropdown.

There are 2 types of profile packs. One for plugin versions and one for the standalone version. Make sure you install the one for the version you are using.
Offline

Neal Tate

  • Posts: 62
  • Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:03 am
  • Location: Indiana/Kentucky

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostThu Jun 20, 2013 4:54 am

It works fine, watch the FLoAT video I posted, it has FC applied, it's really the only "overall" grade to the video. Other clips have just had very quick adjustments. FC is pretty limitless, tons and tons of different variations and looks.
Offline

LanceL

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 am
  • Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostFri Jun 21, 2013 12:47 am

adamroberts wrote:Not sure the demo version allows access to other camera profiles. Normally you download the profile, run the installer and then launch the app and they appear in the dropdown.

There are 2 types of profile packs. One for plugin versions and one for the standalone version. Make sure you install the one for the version you are using.


Hello! Lance here from the fine FilmConvert team.

Happily, the demo version is exactly the same as the paid version, and is just watermarked, so you should be able to use it with the full set of cameras that we support.

You just need to make sure that you've downloaded all the camera packs that you need, and to also make sure that you grab the latest version from our downloads page. If you have a version that's prior to our BMCC release, it won't recognize the BMCC profile data.

And as Adam notes, you'll also need to make sure that the profile packs are for the correct application, as the plugin packs need to install to a different location from the standalone version.
Offline
User avatar

Jason R. Johnston

  • Posts: 1615
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:05 am
  • Location: Harlingen, TX

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 4:09 am

I really like FilmConvert and having been eagerly awaiting the ability to splurge. I'd get the package version with all the different plugins...so, I gotta wait. The demos have been lovely so far: FCPX, Photoshop and the stand alone.
Jason R. Johnston
Cinematographer • Director • Editor • Thread Killer • Based in Texas
Fifty Oars Motion Pictures
Offline

Mike Collier

  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:14 am

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 4:29 am

Interesting thread. I know nothing of Film Convert, but seeing Lance posting here I have one important question.

Is it a plugin that resolve can use, or do I have to convert, render and then grade? My question is all about retaining quality throughout the grade-Obviously the majority of FC work seems to be in increasing contrast. If I do that, but want to dial the contrast back a little, can I do that with the full weight of the raw file, or am I working on a converted flattened image that has had the extraneous data removed.

I see what FC does, matching sensor spectral curves to film and all that, and for 300 its a bit pricey, but worth it, so long as I can use it as a starting point in my grade and retain flexibility to add additional grade nodes with the full set of data from the CamO.

So how does resolve integration work?
Michael Collier, II
Cinematographer - Gaffer - Camera Operator

http://www.RandomAcronym.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3075740/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Offline
User avatar

adamroberts

  • Posts: 4510
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 am
  • Location: England, UK

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 6:54 am

Film Convert works as a Plugin for your NLE or as a standalone app. It does not work with RAW CinemaDNG files from the BMCC. It works with ProRes Film Log files.

The idea behind Film Convert is to create files that closely resemble a particular film stock so that the digital file will match footage shot on that film stock.

It does this by remapping the colors and adding grain.

Many people use it to get a "film look" from digital footage but it's not a grading app. It has some tools for adjusting exposure and colour balance but no way of masking, tracking and creating power windows.

I see it more as a "finishing" app.

If you were shooting RAW and wanted to use Film Convert to "grade" you would need to generate ProRes files in Resolve first. You would Apply the BMCC Film LUT, adjust the exposure and colour balance and then export ProRes 422 HQ . Import those files into Film Convert and apply your "look" making any further adjustments to the colour with the tools in Film Convert.
Offline

LanceL

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 am
  • Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 10:04 pm

randomacronym wrote:Interesting thread. I know nothing of Film Convert, but seeing Lance posting here I have one important question.

Is it a plugin that resolve can use, or do I have to convert, render and then grade? My question is all about retaining quality throughout the grade-Obviously the majority of FC work seems to be in increasing contrast. If I do that, but want to dial the contrast back a little, can I do that with the full weight of the raw file, or am I working on a converted flattened image that has had the extraneous data removed.

I see what FC does, matching sensor spectral curves to film and all that, and for 300 its a bit pricey, but worth it, so long as I can use it as a starting point in my grade and retain flexibility to add additional grade nodes with the full set of data from the CamO.

So how does resolve integration work?


At the moment, we don't have direct resolve integration. We usually recommend doing a film conversion before going to resolve, however, we've also had pretty good luck with applying the film effect post-resolve, even though the conversion isn't quite as accurate then.

Happily though, we're working on an OFX version of the plugin specifically for Resolve 10, so hopefully we'll have something native forya soon that works.
Offline

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1504
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 11:37 pm

LanceL wrote:Happily though, we're working on an OFX version of the plugin specifically for Resolve 10, so hopefully we'll have something native forya soon that works.


That sounds great Lance! :)
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
Offline
User avatar

adamroberts

  • Posts: 4510
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 am
  • Location: England, UK

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 11:43 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
LanceL wrote:Happily though, we're working on an OFX version of the plugin specifically for Resolve 10, so hopefully we'll have something native forya soon that works.


That sounds great Lance! :)


Sure does. Lets hope they do a profile for your LUT. :-)
Offline

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1504
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Well i brought my BMCC and a bunch of gear from them (their sales division) so maybe we should talk. :D
It's a shame i don't get down to Wellington that often.
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
Offline

LanceL

  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:29 am
  • Location: Wellington, New Zealand

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 12:19 am

CaptainHook wrote:Well i brought my BMCC and a bunch of gear from them (their sales division) so maybe we should talk. :D
It's a shame i don't get down to Wellington that often.


Hey, cool, thanks for that ;-) We have an astonishingly hard time keeping the BMCC in stock - tis indeed a great bit of kit. And hey, just noticed your Resolve LUT for the fine BMCC - just curious on what the look is based on? Looks quite nice indeed!
Offline

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

  • Posts: 1504
  • Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 am
  • Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks! It's just based on days of tweaking and playing and refining. :D
http://www.captainhook.co.nz/blackmagic-cinema-camera-lut/

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**
Offline

Felix Steinhardt

  • Posts: 205
  • Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:45 pm
  • Location: Karlsruhe / Germany

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 12:28 pm

Does Filmconvert read 10 bit dpx image sequences?
Offline

larryboatright

  • Posts: 16
  • Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:58 pm

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostMon Sep 02, 2013 2:47 am

So what then would be the general workflow for using FC and BMCC Raw? Would you import files into Resolve and leave "flat"... export to Prores files and then use the settings in FC?
Or go ahead and do basic correction in Resolve utilizing the BMCC LUT and then export?

I saw above Lance said they recommend FC prior to Resolve but I'm assuming he's only referring to Prores, not RAW. What would a recommended RAW workflow be?

Thanks!
Offline
User avatar

Will Tejeda

  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:40 pm
  • Location: Boston, MA

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostMon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 am

I'm curious to know if filmconvert is opencl/gpu rendered?
Elias Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer
Offline

Gabe Darvas

  • Posts: 344
  • Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:54 am

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostMon Sep 02, 2013 5:04 am

What's the main difference between the stand alone version and the plugin version? Are they the same, or one has more features than another and if yes, what are those?
Gabe D.
Offline

Pui Ho

  • Posts: 37
  • Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:51 am

Re: BMCC filmconvert

PostMon Sep 02, 2013 6:36 am

Using the After Effects version of the FC plugin and with LUTbuddy, you can actually export each film stock in FC as a LUT. You can then use it in resolve to grade your RAW BMCC footage. No need to convert to prores.

Return to Cinematography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boardpig, Dwanehollands and 19 guests