Nikon lens on the BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

LeffeP

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Hi

Since I'm more into film making these days i have plans to change my D850 to a BMPCC4K camera instead. i have a lot of lenses for the D850, but will they work on the pocket? Adapters needed of course, but what adapter?

Denny Smith

Re: Nikon lens on the BMPCC4K

PostMon Jun 17, 2019 5:28 pm

Metabones is releasing a BMPCC specific MFT/Nikon Speed Booster adapter. All Nikon to MFT adapters are dumb adapters, in that they do not pass on any electronic connection, so no auto focus, no electronic iris control.
But since most Nikon lenses are actually a mechanical iris, the SB will adjust the iris with a cam action lever on it. Nikon lenses also have nice mechanical focus. The new electronic lenses with stepping focus motors, that are focus by wire will not work.

Have you looked at the Nikon Z6? It will use your Nikon glass with the FTZ adapter, which does pass through iris and AF on the AF-S lenses (no AF with D lenses), and is a video oriented camera like the Panasonic GH5S. The Pocket 4K does offer more pro video features, like balanced mic inputs, and better recording codecs. The Z6 can be used with a recorder/monitor like the Atomos Ninja V to get ProRes recording at 10-bit, 4.2.2, and later this summer ProResRaw. That said, BMRaw I think, is a better option for raw recording on the Pocket 4K.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 4:16 am

We used the Nikon Z6 with its native kit 24-70mm f/4 zoom and the 50mm f1.8 vía FTZ last Saturday on our shoot. Worked quite well overall; doesn’t have the dynamic range as the URSA Mini 4.6K PL but made a quite good image within the 8bit constraints. Denny and I worked on toning down the garish default settings to something akin to log.

Worst feature in my opinion: lack of real 24 fps (they call it 24, but it’s 23.976 and that’s causing problems). Must learn how to convert 23.976 fps clips to 24 fps in the Resolve 16 timeline! If anyone knows, please share as I’m spending time spinning my wheels. When I try, it makes the clip all bright red so I think that means something is amiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

LeffeP

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 8:06 am

Well, autofocus on the D850 is so bad it hurts. I guess its was better on the Z6 or Z7. Z6 would be an option, light weight, and way better for video than the 850. But i still believe the Pocket 4K bets is regarding dynamic and low light....

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 18, 2019 5:54 pm

For dynamic range, the Pocket 4K wins, especially for “internal recording”, but when shooting the Z6 to an external ProRes recorder, the Pocket 4K only wins by 1-stop. I haven’t downs a side-by-side test, but low light shooting between the Z6 and Picket 4K looks like a draw, both are equally effective, and offer about the same top end useable ISO capability. Both are dual gain sensors, using similar sensor technology.

The Pocket 4K wins in more pro video features, like XLR mic in, frame guides, False Color, higher frame rates in UHD, etc, and can shoot full DCS 4K, while the Z6 is UHD only.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jean Capdouzey

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 4:04 am

The D850 is an amazing camera. Why get rid? :roll:
Bonjour mes amis peu profonds ici
je déteste le narcissisme

LeffeP

PostWed Jun 19, 2019 6:43 am

Jean Capdouzey wrote:The D850 is an amazing camera. Why get rid? :roll:

Well, my better half already thinks I'm a horder :)

No, really, i do more video than stills, so if the Z6 or Z7, could replace it that would be great since i have the glass already. But, still interested in the Pocket 4K for some occations.

bjornzitting

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Rick
Just got delivery of a Nikon Z6 and 24-70/4 + FTZ (you inspired me :)
I have a BMD Video Assist 4k which together with my long Nikon history (many lenses :) motivated the purchase

Seems the camera don't understand I want to continue recording externally via HDMI and just shuts down after a while

Read both dpreview.com and bythom.com reviews
Did you also test record to external (4k, max quality) device or just limited quality to internal card?

The included printed manual doesn't seem to cover external max quality video capture
Grateful to links/tips
Björn

Denny Smith

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Björn, the camera has a time out setting in the Menus to save battery. You need to turn this off. Also you need to know, the camera will still shut down I’d it starts overheating, which can happen in warm weather when shooting takes longer than 30-min. Opening, tilt out the rear LCD to help cool the camera back.
There are several good references for setting up the Z6 up for video, do a Goggle search and check a few out.
Also, Thom Hogan’s Complete Guide to the Nikon Z6 & Z7 is worth getting, available in PDF/download.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

bjornzitting

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 pm

Thank you Denny for good info

I have a D810 and bought Thoms book on that one, will by his book on the Z6 tomorrow :)
Seems Nikon could improve the video on Z6 a bit more via firmware, and maybe better document it

To be frank, i considered the BMD small '4k', have seen and handled it, but that means another lens collection and long wait for delivery for body...
I already have a Ursa Mini Pro with the Nikon mount which works great but is not as 'mobile' as my other gear

On the other hand most of my professional still photography has been with 4x5" Sinar bench cameras - of course always on heavy tripods
So heavier camera on rigid tripod feels just right for me :)
Björn

Denny Smith

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 2:11 am

Björn, I,come from a similar background, but went from still photography, including large format up to 8x10, to shooting ENG cameras, a little larger than your Ursa Mini. I also now have a Ursa Broadcast, and got the Z6 instead of the Pocket, got tired of waiting for a camera. I also wanted a FF 35mm Camera for some still work with my Zeiss ZF lenses. Yes the Z6 video features are poorly documented by Nikon, and the features are at the same level as the Original BM Pocket HD S16 Camera. Let’s hope Nikon follows BMD’s example and adds the missing features, like frame guides with future updates. The next scheduled FW update should bring additional video orientated features in addition to the ProRes Raw.

To get back on topic, how does the BMD Nikon Mount perform on the Ursa Mini? I am thinking about getting one for my Ursa Broadcast. Do thr Nikon lenses mount fairly tight or is there some play?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

bjornzitting

PostSun Jun 23, 2019 7:34 am

Hi Denny

The BMD Nikon F mount for Ursa Mini Pro - and Broadcast
Really impressive engineering, full set of shims, double set of screws (long and seems to be top quality)
The aperture control gives you a long and smooth shift, just by moving the small lever for auto aperture on the lens
I started with a cheap Canon to Nikon adapter, it was awful with thin and short screws, lousy aperture control a a lot of play in both ends, I improved it somewhat by opening the 'springs' in the Nikon side by bending carefully with a small chisel, but their metal quality would probably not 'remember' that for long...

The BMD mount has no apparent play sideways or front back, but due to the locking pin there is rotational play
Both the pin itself + of course it varies for lenses/brand, also how much wear they have got
Best had been a cam/wedge type of locking mount pulling the lens back, think the Sony FS7 changed to such a construction (Rotate bayonet part in body instead of lens)

I have a Zeiss ZF with very smooth and a bit stiff focus, when focusing there is noticeable noise and play when change of direction, with a Focus puller and it's rubber cogs mounted it's less obvious, on other lenses really good

---
Regarding the Z6:
Really irritated on the FTZ adapter since the Manfrotto plate 200PL which I use a lot is blocking both if it's on the camera body and if it's mounted on the adapter!!!
Of course I want the adapters to stay put on both body and adapter
The Nikon Cad designers and Project managers should be ashamed!
(A locking mount without rotating lens had been great :)

I found after some search how to give the front upper Fn button aperture preview, otherwise lenses controlled by camera only show down to f5.6 - could not find it in the manual

Lot of things to modify or at least go through in the setup for both stills and movie
When I got the D810 I couldn't hardly notice any difference picking it up or the D700 after modifying D810 from default on a lot of things

D810 to Z6 it's much smaller and have several/more controls that aren't intuitive
4k into the Video Assist 4k and onto a 4k TV looks good both live and when played back, but it's clumsy not to have full quality recording internal in spite of the new expensive cards

On the whole I'm positive, hope next firmware improves setup for Movie especially

Björn
PS I had to change shims
Used a Dial gauge in workshop to measure the flange shift from focused lens, then moving focus ring to show actual room distance, the measured shift told me which shim to use
Worked on first try :)

Denny Smith

PostSun Jun 23, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for the info on the Nik F BMD Ursa Pro Mount Björn.
Regarding the Z6, I found a couple of work around for using the FTZ adapter. One, I got a L plate style base plate for the Z6 to add an Acura Swiss Mount, which I used with an adapter to turn the Manfrotto tripod to a quick release Arca Swiss, which clears the FTZ up and away from the tripod plate. This works for smaller lenses.

For longer, or heavier F lenses, I want supported, I got the Smallrig 1/2 Z6 Cage, which has a FTZ Support plate you can add to the front of the cage. The camera mounts to a Manfrotto compatible base which slides into the cage, as the camera can be removed very quickly.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography