Pocket Cinema and 4K camera update

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Darryl Gregory

Pocket Cinema and 4K camera update

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 10:03 pm

Mac Jaeger

Re: Pocket Cinema and 4K camera update

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 11:28 pm

Hmm... now what is the "update" therein? Basically they say "there's nothing new to tell you".

Darryl Gregory

PostSat Jun 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Bad English aside, I heard that both the Pocket and the 4K Production cameras will ship Mid to late July, Nothing more, other than the Pocket will have RAW on shipping, Any questions? Ask BMD :D

Ryan Jones

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 1:25 am

My dealer confirmed the same thing to be this week - they're expecting the Pocket Cam in 3-4 weeks.

I haven't ordered the 4k... yet...

Kingsley Paul

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 7:20 am

BMD should come out and clarify if they have overcome all sensor supply and production issues that they faced with respect to the BMCC or if the same issues plague them with regard to the BMPCC and BMPC. BMD please update us...

Darryl Gregory

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 7:47 am

satyablack wrote:BMD should come out and clarify if they have overcome all sensor supply and production issues that they faced with respect to the BMCC or if the same issues plague them with regard to the BMPCC and BMPC. BMD please update us...

They already have do your research!, But they should make it a sticky on the forums for reasons like this.

I find it hilarious how blatantly obvious they could care a less what we want, or how we should expect them to report to us, Funny how that is...Without us they are nothing, and yet they ignore us as if we are just naive peasants with nothing better to do than wait for "OUR LORD" to show up and advise us that a New Camera has arrived, Now hurry along peasants and buy the goods our lord has bestowed upon us! :lol:

Mac Jaeger

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 8:51 am

Darryl Gregory wrote:I find it hilarious how blatantly obvious they could care a less what we want, or how we should expect them to report to us,

I don't get it. Do you really need a daily bulleting "we are still on track"? Would be silly to post when there's nothing to post. Sometimes no news is good news!

simonspear

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 3:45 pm

I'll eat my lens cap if the 4k ships in July!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 5:24 pm

simonspear wrote:I'll eat my lens cap if the 4k ships in July!

I'm sure Marc H. will be happy to supply you with one of his lens caps if necessary. :lol:

We should keep in mind that in Blackmagic Design's lucky country, "shipping" can mean a tiny quantity of cameras leave their factory for one of their distributors, and from there gets shipped to dealer(s), and then finally to lucky end-user customer(s).

The above process may start as late as July 31st, but will obviously take at least days to complete. Said happy, smiling, lucky customers should not be shocked if they don't receive their cameras until sometime in August 2013.

And that's if everything goes perfectly.

So, BMD isn't out of the woods(hed), yet.

Fingers crossed ...

:lol:

-

Samjack

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 7:07 pm

I don't expect either camera is ready for shipping by next month because nobody on BMD beta list has recieve either the pocket or 4k camera yet.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Samjack wrote:I don't expect either camera is ready for shipping by next month because nobody on BMD beta list has recieve either the pocket or 4k camera yet.

Because there is absolutely no such thing as a contract that would prohibit them from even saying they had received one.

Oh wait they are standard practice up until a company has decided to release some or all people from it.

Ryan Jones

PostSun Jun 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Samjack wrote:I don't expect either camera is ready for shipping by next month because nobody on BMD beta list has recieve either the pocket or 4k camera yet.

JB has his pocket beta, and has posted up a bunch of nice footage, so not sure what you're talking about?

I haven't seen any 4k footage though.

rick.lang

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 am

satyablack wrote:BMD should come out and clarify if they have overcome all sensor supply and production issues that they faced with respect to the BMCC or if the same issues plague them with regard to the BMPCC and BMPC. BMD please update us...

As Darryl pointed out, we did get a recent update from Grant Petty but it is not easy to find since it is not in a sticky thread. Thankfully, it is positive news with regard to the new cameras' sensors. They have not received the volumes of the BMCC sensors they expected but the BMCC cameras are shipping in volume as we know. They have had no comparable problems with the sensor on the BMPC4K as it is from a different manufacturer. But we know the new cameras are not actually shipping yet of course so we patiently wait another month or so until either the next update or news that the cameras are in the wild.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 4:12 am

rick.lang wrote:

As Darryl pointed out, we did get a recent update from Grant Petty but it is not easy to find since it is not in a sticky thread. Thankfully, it is positive news with regard to the new cameras' sensors. They have not received the volumes of the BMCC sensors they expected but the BMCC cameras are shipping in volume as we know. They have had no comparable problems with the sensor on the BMPC4K as it is from a different manufacturer. But we know the new cameras are not actually shipping yet of course so we patiently wait another month or so until either the next update or news that the cameras are in the wild.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Grant's recent posts:
viewtopic.php?p=56856&sid=17b114d4e5be61eb5dbcce61567654ed#p56856
viewtopic.php?p=57869&sid=9e23e4778b0aad0ac282a660bbd5da74#p57869

-

Samjack

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 5:50 am

Ryan Jones wrote:

JB has his pocket beta, and has posted up a bunch of nice footage, so not sure what you're talking about?

I haven't seen any 4k footage though.

I think you and are mistaken. JB is assisting development. Unless things have drastically change beta list members recieve their cameras first and there is no stopping them from saying that they have recieved theirs. Just do a research on the BMCC EF and MFT and who got their cameras first, they are the beta list.

Samjack

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 5:54 am

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks wrote:

Because there is absolutely no such thing as a contract that would prohibit them from even saying they had received one.

Oh wait they are standard practice up until a company has decided to release some or all people from it.

Trying to be clever, huh.
Well you need to do some research before jumping the gun. As it happens there is no restriction on BMD camera beta list user posting on forums saying their camera has arrived.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Jun 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Samjack wrote:

Trying to be clever, huh.
Well you need to do some research before jumping the gun. As it happens there is no restriction on BMD camera beta list user posting on forums saying their camera has arrived.

On the contrary we know that there isn't always one. I know that in the past that some have announced they have but that only applies to that instance. BMD have a long history of keeping things to themselves until they are ready for them to release things in public.

Jumping the gun is more appropriate to someone declaring that no BETA testers have the camera on the basis of a couple having declared they have them in the past. Especially as JB has in effect declared that there is at least an embargo on footage release till they are happy with it.

Having been involved in a few software betas, I've seen inconsistencies in the same company on NDAs.

David Regenthal

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 am

I noticed a short while ago that B&H has changed their "expected availability" to August 25th on their website (for both the Pocket and 4k cams).
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

Samjack

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 1:31 pm

On the contrary we know that there isn't always one. I know that in the past that some have announced they have but that only applies to that instance. BMD have a long history of keeping things to themselves until they are ready for them to release things in public.

Jumping the gun is more appropriate to someone declaring that no BETA testers have the camera on the basis of a couple having declared they have them in the past. Especially as JB has in effect declared that there is at least an embargo on footage release till they are happy with it.

Having been involved in a few software betas, I've seen inconsistencies in the same company on NDAs.

I still think you are missig the point with regard to BMD beta list members. They get their cameras first, as JB mentioned awhile ago, to test production and distribution. The point was made here about when likely will the 4k and Pocket cameras deliver? I said people in BMD beta list havent even got theirs yet so I doubt it will make it shipping to customers in July.
What you are saying is beta tester using the camera as part of the camera's development have already got a camera to play with such as JB and a small select few. Of course this is different to BMD beta list members recieving the cameras on a production test run.
It does appear BMD does not call their development people "beta tester" or beta whatever. They have so far acknowledge members on their "beta list" recieving end product cameras first such as the BMCC EF and MFT. As to date no BMD beta list members has a 4k or Pocket camera which makes the prospect of them shipping customer ordered ones in July looking very bleak.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 3:40 pm

dregenthal wrote:I noticed a short while ago that B&H has changed their "expected availability" to August 25th on their website (for both the Pocket and 4k cams).

If in fact BMD starts shipping the new cams to their distributors by the end of July 2013, then their dealers might not receive them and have them ready to sell until approx. the middle of Aug. 2013.

If a dealer adds a week or two fudge factor to that as a CYA measure, then "August 25th" 2013 as the earliest availability date sounds about right.

We'll see ...

-

Christine Peterson

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

dregenthal wrote:I noticed a short while ago that B&H has changed their "expected availability" to August 25th on their website (for both the Pocket and 4k cams).

We are still expecting cameras to ship by the end of July, so please don't read this B&H update as an official camera delay. Dealers are free to post any availability date they are comfortable with on their site.
Christine Peterson

(Previously Community Relations Manager for Blackmagic Design)

David Regenthal

PostTue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Indeed, I've seen where B&H (in the past) announced cameras being discontinued . . . When that was not the case. So, nope, I'm not making plans based exclusively on what I read there, just thought it was interesting.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm fairly comfortable that the pocket camera is going to be worth the (short) wait.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

EdChew

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 pm

I think it was in the JB video "pocket in Kernel" in the seaside shot that he was filming the 4K filming the waves. Why else would he be filming the other BM setup.

EdChew

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm

For me the best case scenario would be that BMD came out and said there have been some major advancements in SSD and we have located and even better sensor so the camera will be delayed a month or two. At least you know that when the camera comes it is going to be as good as it possibly can be.

Jace Ross

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 9:36 pm

EdChew wrote:For me the best case scenario would be that BMD came out and said there have been some major advancements in SSD and we have located and even better sensor so the camera will be delayed a month or two. At least you know that when the camera comes it is going to be as good as it possibly can be.

Haha new sensors and updated SATA buses for SSDs only delaying a month or 2?
BMPCC, FD Canon 28mm f2.8, Tokina 80-200mm F4, Tamron 70-300mm f4 C Canon J6x12 MFT SLR Magic 17mm T1.6, Sigma 19mm f2.8, Samyang 7.5mm f3.5
Rode VideoMic, Viewfactor Cage/Handle/Grip/Perspex backing

Mac Jaeger

PostWed Jun 26, 2013 9:53 pm

EdChew wrote:I think it was in the JB video "pocket in Kernel" in the seaside shot that he was filming the 4K filming the waves. Why else would he be filming the other BM setup.

Afaik JB was on set for one of his shows when he shot these clips. It's a CC2k5 that he used on several productions.

Return to Cinematography