Is there a UMP G2 Remote Control app in the near future?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ellory Yu

Is there a UMP G2 Remote Control app in the near future?

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 5:58 am

So I have seen the BMD IPad remote app for the UMP demo'd at NAB. Well it's nice that you can control the camera but it does not let you display the image while recording. I'm not aware of such functionality today. Is the latter going to be a possibility someday? We have a remote control pan and tilt head on a jib that in combination with being able to see what we are recording via the bluetooth/IPad feature, that will be a super productive firmware upgrade.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

roger.magnusson

Re: Is there a UMP G2 Remote Control app in the near future?

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 am

Unless they have added wifi to the camera it won't work. Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth.

Donnell Henry

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 5:37 pm

Better believe they’ll come out with a module that you attach to the camera, that will in turn send an HD 422 10bit or more, 24-60p signal to an updated 4k wireless video assist. I see this happening in the next 24 months
GODS CREATE

Ellory Yu

PostSun Jul 14, 2019 9:26 pm

Donnell Henry wrote:Better believe they’ll come out with a module that you attach to the camera, that will in turn send an HD 422 10bit or more, 24-60p signal to an updated 4k wireless video assist. I see this happening in the next 24 months

Well, we have something close to that today - it's called Teradex - but it does not let you control the metadata on the camera like what the iPad app does today. So a combination of those will be a good thing and it does not have to send high quality feeds for recording on an external device like the VA. Also, it has to be very affordable - not the cost of a Teradex or Bolt because those are expensive products. Using something like the iPad is most ideal because almost everyone has an iPad or an Android tablet today. Both iPad and Android also supports WiFi protocol and connection.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

Return to Cinematography