Could BMD 4K camera shoot in the frame of 4:3?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Could BMD 4K camera shoot in the frame of 4:3?

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 11:42 pm

John Brawley wrote:They will probably be good.

And the most expensive anamorphic lenses on the planet.

JB.

Thanks, John. And difficult to find even to rent for a while when they are in production. I couldn't find any prices on them yet but didn't spend much time trying to find out.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

John Brawley

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 pm

rick.lang wrote:
John Brawley wrote:They will probably be good.

And the most expensive anamorphic lenses on the planet.

JB.

Thanks, John. And difficult to find even to rent for a while when they are in production. I couldn't find any prices on them yet but didn't spend much time trying to find out.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

A lot more expensive than a regular master prime is all you need to know.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

KIPKUBIN

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 8:39 pm

I'd love it if the cameras firmware would crop out a 4:3 portion and then de-squeeze the image in the viewfinder for use with anamorphic lenses.

It is true that manufactured anamorphic lenses are expensive but anamorphic adapters are relatively cheep and one adapter can cover multiple lenses. eBay is full of these and they can be much sharper than a poorly maintained anamorphic lens.

To me it would be another selling point.

Red's Scarlet, their low end camera, without the dragon upgrade can't do it. If BM engaged an anamorphic mode that would really make a statement at $4000

Another thought
All digital cameras crop the sensor from academy 4 perf specs EPEC and ALEXIA so if BM did a bit of cropping no one would mind.

Jim King

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 2:45 pm

There is no any commercial camera that can shoot 4k X 3k in the world by now.
So, its a extravagant hope a little bit for MB to us all.
Anyway, I love BMPC.

Rakesh Malik

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 4:43 pm

bruce wrote:Give me crop 4:3 in-camera so framing is easier. John mentioned that it is very easy to do and hopefully bm is reading. We got 4k GLOBAL shutter! For insane price so anything is possible bm.

Where did John mention that it's easy to do? It would require pulling more data off of the sensor as well as doing more work to display as well as crop + compress the data before saving it. Cropping is a pretty inexpensive thing to do as far computation goes, but if you want to see the 4x3 frame on the screen while writing a 16x9 image to the disk, the camera will still need to push that extra data around to at least the display pipe before cropping it to save it to disk.

In any case, if you're getting sensors from a 3rd party sensor manufacturer, then you're probably going to end up with a 4x3 sensor, since that aspect ratio would work for everyone as far as packaging goes, and that allows them to increase their manufacturing volume and therefore minimize costs.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

bruce

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Tamerlin wrote:Where did John mention that it's easy to do?

Go back and read the posts, you will find what you looking for. Now this is crop 4:3 not full 4:3 sensor size.

Tamerlin wrote: Cropping is a pretty inexpensive thing to do as far computation goes, but if you want to see the 4x3 frame on the screen while writing a 16x9 image to the disk, the camera will still need to push that extra data around to at least the display pipe before cropping it to save it to disk.

I didn't say that I need it to be view in 16:9 mode. I Just simply needs a 4:3 mode for anamorphic. The mentality that everything is so hard to do is exactly what manufactor wants us to believe. I don't need to explain myself but if you have problem comprehenting just look at Canon. No doubt about BM trying to break that chain of marketing. Now if we can just have fewer idiot around trying to cover up for manufactors, we might can get a decent camera. I keep my mouth shut from here but I can not resist not saying that. Go on and tear my post apart if you like.

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 6:57 pm

bruce wrote: I don't need to explain myself but if you have problem comprehending just look at Canon.

You seem to be under a massive misconception about whats going on with Magic Lantern and Canon.

Canon are very happy about what ML are doing. They get new features added to their cameras without any expenditure, and where the hack pushes the hardware more than they are comfortable with they just say they may not cover it with the warranty (the raw hack they specifically said that the warranty may not cover sensor overheating damage during RAW as the safety protocols may not work due to the hack.) There is also a certain amount of evidence canon have implied that they wouldn't be so accommodating about hacks on certain of their products.

This brings us to the BMCC/BMPC/BMPCC These are cameras built to a tight budget. This means that there is only so much R&D that they can do into adding features before it's not worth them selling the cameras. If there is untapped potential then it may well be a ML style hack that gives us these extra features. BMD's feature set is pretty constant across the camera range, they have no higher products that restricting the lower ones would protect (unlike canon). They also are selling cameras pretty much as fast as they make them, so for now it's tricky to see how a ML style hack would be received by them. There are features that would benefit a larger portion of their customer base than this, things like audio meters.
Previous

Return to Cinematography