Ursa Mini 4.6K full camera kit advice

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Lucas Young

Ursa Mini 4.6K full camera kit advice

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 am

Hi Guys

The acting school I work for in London is wanting to buy their own Ursa Mini 4.6K camera kit to shoot student exercises, short films etc and they're needing some advice on what a full basic kit would entail. They're currently shooting on a 70D with a Zoom H4N for audio and want to step up, and they're prepared to get training for the operator.
Assuming they're shooting mainly indoor, two-handed dramatic scenes and they're on a budget, what would you recommend as a starter kit? In particular, what budget lens would you recommend, CF Cards etc?
They're assuming the basics would be the camera body, lens, 2 CF cards, 2 batteries, mounting plate, tripod, shoulder mount and an external monitor? They'll get lights and probably a Røde wireless mic kit separately.
Following on from that, are such kits available second hand and are there risks to buying gear like this second hand? Where would we start looking?

Many thanks in advance for any tips and advice :)

Lucas

Denny Smith

Re: Ursa Mini 4.6K full camera kit advice

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:42 pm

You might want to consider walking before running, and get the new Pocket 4K, then with a Speed Boosters adapter, you could use the lenses from the Canon 40D. Buying used is a crap,shoot, sometimes good, sometimes not.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 7:39 pm

What’s your budget?

The sigma art zooms are probably the best bang for buck on lenses. I have the 18-35 and the 50-100 and I hardly bring anything else anymore

I’d personally get the ssd recorder as well. Cfast cards are very expensive for the size, and they can be corrupted if you’re careless. SSDs are cheap and you can shoot all day.

You’ll most likely need some nd filters and will probably want ones that reduce IR radiation, you can get a rotating Vari nd - I use the tiffen ir vari nd for most things, but you may want a set of 4x4 filters- you will also want a matte box for this.

You’ll probably also want 4 batteries to get through the day comfortably, you can do it on two but I always take 4 to be sure.

Second hand kits can work but be sure to test it first.

For cases you can fit it into a peli 1510 with two batteries. I use that for travelling and also a peli 1620 for longer trips. If you want a soft case the porta brace ctc- ursa mini is great. I have my mini pro in one and my 4.6k in a manfrotto bag designed for the c300.

The pocket 4k is great, and will probably do pretty much everything you would want

Sorry for the long post!

Lucas Young

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, and you're right about the pocket 4K, but the client wants the look of a "big camera" because the actors who are paying for the acting courses are expecting to see big cameras on set... frustrating I know... so they want to go with the 4.6K. I'll chase them up about budget :)

Cheers

Lucas

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 12:43 am

But you can probably find a used URSA Mini 4.6K when someone upgrades to the G2. A fully rigged BMPCC4K with some big PL Cinema lenses will still get you good results though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostThu Jul 25, 2019 12:47 am

rick.lang wrote:But you can probably find a used URSA Mini 4.6K when someone upgrades to the G2. A fully rigged BMPCC4K with some big PL Cinema lenses will still get you good results though.

I’m going to be selling my URSA Mini 4.6K (EF) now that my G2 has shipped. Granted, I’ll be selling as soon as I buy a replacement shoulder mount kit and side handle since I’ll be selling a package unit to make it more enticing.

"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography