Prores vs braw

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Hulihullut Productions

Prores vs braw

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:03 am

I'm shooting a short film with the BMPCC4K and planning to do quite a lot VFX. I'm using a pretty average laptop with Resolve studio version. Which codec will run smoother on my computer? Are there any advantages for using prores over braw? It would be really appreciated if you could share your workflow when doing heavy VFX. Thanks in advance.

rick.lang

Re: Prores vs braw

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 am

We’ve had comments here that people have successfully used ProRes for VFX work, but you may be safer shooting BRAW Q0 or 3:1 if you have heavy VFX. When it was an option, in the good old days, uncompressed CinemaDNG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

MishaEngel

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 12:02 pm

BRAW.

John Paines

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 12:11 pm

If you have a weak GPU, the demands of braw may stress the system. It's something you really need to test. The simplest way to do it is compare timeline responsiveness of the two formats, with and without fx applied.

In theory, braw should be the better choice for vfx work but, again, you shouldn't assume anything with a new format like this. There are no braw experts, at this point. It's new to everyone. There's no substitute for testing it, on what you intend to do.

John Griffin

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 12:16 pm

I would venture to say that with a VXFheavy project and a 'pretty average laptop' the codec choice will be of little importance as the workflow will necessitate optimised media and / or Proxies which will be the same media whatever your source media is.

Chris Shivers

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 1:45 pm

I will say BRaw with proxies, the raw file will give you an extra bump in post

Kays Alatrakchi

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 pm

It depends on the nature of the VFX and what your post pipeline will look like. No matter what, you're probably going to convert to some form or ProRes for your VFX team, unless you're doing an EXR or DPX export for them. Another question to ask yourself is if you're using ACES through the post process or not.
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 pm

braw give you 12 bit of depht against 10bit.
braw is quite light against prores and when i need to manage color, vfx, compositing and green braw give me more flexiblity against prores.
you can edit and do vfx on resolve and fusion, you can eventually export frame sequence to put in other application.
anyway i often must do vfx on h264 4:2:0 8bit shooting, bot prores and braw give you excellent quality to manage heavy vfx.
instead to focus on recording format focus on shooting and lighting quality, is more important than recording quality. If you give you weak light, less info less quality, less materials where to work.

Return to Cinematography