BMCC MFT - Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alexander Arndt

BMCC MFT - Lenses

PostSun Jun 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Hey there,

so finally my MFT Version of the Camera arrived here.
I was looking for the old Carl Zeiss Lenses aka 20mm M42 Mount.

What you guys recommend by the way the Camera and Optics work together. Is it a waste of money to buy some older Zeiss Lenses cause this Camera is in much more need of Prime Glass etc `?

It is possible to get the best out of the Sensor by using Photo Lenses btw. Older Lenses btw. what Kind of Lenses to use for?

Just a thought that we might make a MFT Lens discussion so everybody can tell what Lense he uses for or for older Lenses to write a guidance to each lens etc....

later

here is she with the Minolta AF ZOOM 35 - 70 mm 1:4(22).
bmcc.jpg
bmcc.jpg (228.59 KiB) Viewed 33605 times
Last edited by Alexander Arndt on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grégory Weisert

Re: BMCC MFT - Lenses

PostSun Jun 30, 2013 9:20 pm

good idea. espacially in vintage glass i am interested

Mark de Jeu

PostSun Jun 30, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm planning on renting a nice Zeiss (ZF) kit locally when I need it ($155/weekend). For the times I'm not renting, I've picked up used Nikon Nikkor AI-s (F-mount) lenses. I'm hoping the Metabones Nikon-to-m43 Speed Booster meets expectations when it arrives (which is very soon, they tell me).

Pretty inexpensive, I have the Nikkor AI-s 24mm/f2.8, 50mm/f1.4, and 85mm/f2. These cost around $150 each. These, with the Speed Booster, will give me a set of FF equivalents near 39mm, 55mm, 81mm, 114mm, 138mm, and 194mm. I also picked up the SLR Magic 12mm/T1.6, and plan to add the Nikkor 105mm/f2.8 (micro/macro). The 35mm is redundant (57mm & 80mm are already covered in my kit).

A dealer I've used tells me Pentax/M42 is a great choice if I want warmer, less expensive lenses.

I'm really glad I waited for the MFT.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Mark de Jeu

PostMon Jul 01, 2013 12:56 pm

RE: Lens mounting:

I've tried three different NikonF-to-MFT mounts. I've read of others not having the exact same experiences, but in my case the Fotodiox and RainbowImaging mounts fit very nicely. My Kiwi Foto mount was way too tight. I also have the Fotodiox NikonG-to-MFT mount that fits very nicely, and i like how it lets me adjust aperture without clicks.

My SLR Magic 12mm/T1.6 Hyperprime fits very nicely. I have not yet tried their 25mm for fit, although Jim DeLuca has helpful info at http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9397&p=59525&hilit=SLR+Magic+25#p59525.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Jim DeLuca

PostMon Jul 01, 2013 2:04 pm

I've also just ordered a m42 to mft mount on friday. Once I get it I'll report back with how it works/fits. I also just won a m42 pentax 135mm of ebay.

Still waiting to hear back about the slrmagic 25mm, but slrmagic is working on the situation

javierdpvelez

PostMon Jul 01, 2013 4:55 pm

I have both lenses and the MFT BMCC and have had zero issues. The 25mm is certainly tighter but mounts with just a tad more force. Non issue for me. Btw I'm trying to sell both of theses lenses as well as a voigtlander 17.5mm if anyone is interested.

djfremen

PostMon Jul 01, 2013 10:20 pm

javierdpvelez wrote:I have both lenses and the MFT BMCC and have had zero issues. The 25mm is certainly tighter but mounts with just a tad more force. Non issue for me. Btw I'm trying to sell both of theses lenses as well as a voigtlander 17.5mm if anyone is interested.

What are you selling? What are you getting instead?

javierdpvelez

PostMon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Different lenses for sale: (EDITED-VOIGTLANDER SOLD)

KOWA 2X
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kowa-Prominar-1 ... 2a2e6423e5

SLR Magic 12mm f1.6
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLR-Magic-Nokto ... 2a2e643a79

SLR Magic 25mm f0.95
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLR-Magic-Nokto ... 2a2e644fa6

All like new except the Kowa 2X anamorphic. I'm getting rid of them cause I never used them and I rather have the money. I tried returning them but Noktor has a strict return policy (no returns).
Last edited by javierdpvelez on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan Jones

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 am

javierdpvelez wrote:Different lenses for sale:

KOWA 2X
http://www.ebay.com/...23&cmd=ViewItem

SLR Magic 12mm f1.6

Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.95

SLR Magic 25mm f0.95

All like new except the Kowa 2X anamorphic. I'm getting rid of them cause I never used them and I rather have the money. I tried returning them but Noktor has a strict return policy (no returns).

None of those links seem to work for me?

javierdpvelez

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 2:58 am

Does this work? I edited the links above as well.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/javierdpvelez/m ... ksid=p3686

Mac Jaeger

PostTue Jul 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Much better now. :-)

Junior Ikenwa

PostWed Jul 03, 2013 6:21 pm

with adapter EF lenses like canon mounts, are they compatible with MFT BMCC?

Junior Ikenwa

PostThu Jul 04, 2013 6:44 pm

which one sound good for MFT

Appreciate everyone assistance, Thank you all
still need more
which one is good for music videos,
for my BMCC MFT ?

all is tokina brand, please suggest

(1) Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens for Nikon
WIDE ANGLE ZOOM
AF 16-28mm f/2.8

(2) AT-X 116 PRO DX
WIDE ANGLE ZOOM
AF 11-16mm f/2.8

(3) AT-X 116 PRO DX II
WIDE ANGLE ZOOM
AF 11-16mm f/2.8

(4) AT-X 17-35 F4 PRO FX
WIDE ANGLE ZOOM
AF 17-35mm f/4.0

Juniortony
Malaysia
BMCC MFT

Majoratrogdor

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 3:30 pm

Hello,

I just ordered the cinema camera and are currently outfitting it. I am looking for advice/opinions on a good PL lens for this camera, Vintage or newer. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Fred Trevino

PostFri Oct 11, 2013 3:56 pm

juniortony wrote:with adapter EF lenses like canon mounts, are they compatible with MFT BMCC?

Yes, and no but mainly no. You'll of course be able to attach the EF lens but nothing will work since it's all electronic. If you get an adapter with an aperture ring however, it'll work.

If you're in a pinch and for whatever reason have to use an EF lens you can set the aperture on the body of the canon and then with the aperture preview button ( i think thats what its called - the little black button by the lens) pressed down remove the lens. This will keep that aperture on the lens and then you can shoot.
Fred | Da Vinci Resolve Colorist | Brooklyn, NY
Mac Studio M1 Max w/ 10 Core CPU, 24 Core GPU
32GB RAM, OS 13.5.2, Resolve Studio 18.6.1
Mini Monitor 4K, Flanders Scientific monitor, Micro Panel

Todd White

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 12:20 am

Okay, so I'm new to my MFT BMCC and I'm an idiot. Truly. I am. I never noticed the fact that the MFT is a passive mount which means all of my MFT lenses can't currently be used on it in a functional way. Again, my fault for not noticing. Regardless, I just look at it as a new opportunity to collect some more lenses. :)

Does anyone have a good resource of recommended/good/must-have lenses for the MFT BMCC? I've read through here, but I was wondering if there was a definitive page or site that might have some decent information on the subject.

I just bought this... Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 Nokton Manual Focus Lens for Micro 4/3 Mount
And this... SLR Magic HyperPrime Cine 12mm T/1.6 Lens for Micro Four Thirds Cameras
A good start? Are there better choices out there?

Also, what other options are there? Adapters?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Alexander Arndt

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 am

Does anyone have a good resource of recommended/good/must-have lenses for the MFT BMCC?

in my state of mind ill think if i would have the chance to buy premium zeiss anamorphic lenses i would do that but i dont so...

look at your budget and go from that, the lenses you just bought rather be good or bad. ill think its just that part of lenses that arnt to cheapr neither to expensive, work with them at least couple of months get used to it and go from there.

i ll sit here hours of hours thinking in which glass to invest always measuring desire with the pocket :)

Ronald Coltress

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 7:31 am

Can anyone answer if this lens would work with the MFT?

Rokinon 14 mm F/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Canon

adamroberts

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 8:32 am

Reger wrote:Can anyone answer if this lens would work with the MFT?

Rokinon 14 mm F/2.8 IF ED UMC Lens For Canon

Yes it will work with a Canon EF to MFT adaptor.

Todd White

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 12:42 pm

Yes it will work with a Canon EF to MFT adaptor.

Do you have a suggestion as to a good EF to MFT adapter? Also, do lenses still have to be passive or does it matter with an adapter?

Thanks!

adamroberts

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Hecubus wrote:Do you have a suggestion as to a good EF to MFT adapter? Also, do lenses still have to be passive or does it matter with an adapter?

There are currently no electronic adaptors that allow a MFT camera to control electronic EF lenses. Metabones have on in the works. Even if, or rather when, there is it would not work on the BMCC MFT as the mount is passive.

So for electronic EF lenses you have 3 options.
1: Adjust the aperture on a Canon body the swap it over to the BMCC
2: Buy and adaptor with aperture blades in. Not ideal as the aperture is in the wrong part of the light path for the lens. Tho there are others who are very happy with this set-up. eBay would be the place to look.
3: Expensive adaptors from RedRockMicro or MTF Services that can control the aperture of EF lenses even on passive mounts.

Todd White

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 3:04 pm

3: Expensive adaptors from RedRockMicro or MTF Services that can control the aperture of EF lenses even on passive mounts.

Thanks for the information.

Is there one or two adapters in particular you would suggest? Also, do you know of a resource (website for example, or your own personal experience) that might layout what passive MFT lenses exist out there for purchase and/or what might be suggested for the BMCC MFT? I've found a write up here and there that lists a couple, but it seems passive MFT lenses are few and far between compared to their active counterparts. This forum is nice, but I'd like to see something similar to what BMD did with the lens suggestions for the pocket cinema camera in the support area of the site where they list several lenses that are compatible with that camera.

Thanks again for your help. I very much appreciate it!

adamroberts

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 4:04 pm

Hecubus wrote:Is there one or two adapters in particular you would suggest?

I don't use any of them so can't really suggest one over another. Using electronic Canon EF lenses on the BMCC MFT is not really a practical choice. If you have Canon EF lenses the BMCC EF is a better option in my opinion.

Hecubus wrote:Also, do you know of a resource (website for example, or your own personal experience) that might layout what passive MFT lenses exist out there for purchase and/or what might be suggested for the BMCC MFT? I've found a write up here and there that lists a couple, but it seems passive MFT lenses are few and far between compared to their active counterparts. This forum is nice, but I'd like to see something similar to what BMD did with the lens suggestions for the pocket cinema camera in the support area of the site where they list several lenses that are compatible with that camera.

Most people buy the BMCC MFT so that can adapt various lenses to the mount rather then specifically for MFT lenses. You can for instance adapt many classic lenses for you on the BMCC MFT. Nikon, M42, Canon FD, Leica, PL, C-mount, Olympus OM, etc, etc...

The Nikon, Contacx, Canon FD, Minolta MD and Leica R can also all benefit from the Metabones Speed Booster.

There are however various MFT lenses that are full manual that will work very well on the BMCC MFT. Look at the Voigtlands (17.5mm, 25mm, 42.5mm all f/0,95) or the SLRMagic (12mm f/1.6, 35mm f0/95, etc). Some of the Rokinon lenses are available in MFT mount and they are full manual.

But as I said... there is many more options available by simple using an adaptor.

Todd White

PostFri Jan 17, 2014 1:23 am

Thanks a ton for the info, adamroberts. And this thread in particular has been very helpful. Thanks to all.

Ronald Coltress

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 5:54 am

I was wondering what if this adapter http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Minolta-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B003EAVULQ would work on my MFT with a Bell and Howell 8 mm f/3.5 MF ASP Lens For Sony?

F.K.

PostFri Jan 31, 2014 7:10 pm

If you want the most bang for your buck I would suggest Minolta SR Lenses (MC/MD).
Minolta was one of the first Companies to use computers for their optical designs, also their whole range of lenses is nearly color matched (unlike with other Brands like Nikon or Canon.)
The lenses may be slightly cheaper to purchase then Canon and Nikon lenses of the same era.
The wide end might be a bit tricky, I would suggest to get a newer lens for It and then match it in post.

I personally choose to go with older Arriflex S35 lenses from Schneider and Zeiss, however they are significantly more expensive and often require demanding modifications to be e.g. adapted to PL-Mount, it is a very time-consuming process.

Leica R lenses are also quite popular among cinematographers however they are also more expensive and even harder to get wide.

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 am

I second the Minolta suggestion. The 35-70mm 3.5 zoom for example was sold by Leica under their own brand too, and it's every bit as good as prime. It has very smooth manual focus, zoom and aperture (constant) – ideal for movies. Still to be found well under 100,- bucks. There's a good 24-50mm too, but a bit rarer.

Pair it with a 18-35mm Sigma or a Panny 12-35 and you are set (will need color grading, though).
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Paul Abrahams

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 12:58 am

An old post I know but I thought I would add some first hand info for any future owners of the MFT Cinema Camera.

I originally bought the Cinema EF mount (as most did) to adapt my canon lenses but switched to the MFT mount and the Metabones Speed Booster.

I've tried, not all but some, Canon (Primes & Zooms) L, EF, EF-S, Nikon, Minolta, Zeiss, Takumar, Helios, Samyang, Olympus, Tokina (zoom 11-16).

Apart from the Helios & Takumar I found most of the old 35mm (photo lenses) Minolts etc, too soft or had infinity focus problems.

The Canon L series looked good but seemed pricey for what they give you. The EF/EF-S were ordinary.

The Nikons were quite nice.

The Zeiss primes looked great and quite affordable second hand.

The Tokina Zoom though touted by many was crap and I tried two, one was very soft the other could not focus at infinity. It wasn't worth persuing for an ordinary zoom lens.

The Samyang 16mm & 35mm were ok, not great.

I bought one Olympus 12mm which looks fantastic straight on the MFT mount = (approx) 30mm

After sorting out all the average and useless lenses and still I use with Metabones Speedbooster (MFT-EF)

Zeiss 21mm
Zeiss 28mm
Takumar 50mm
Hellios 58mm
Contax 85mm
Zeiss Planar 135mm (the old planar lenses look as good as the zeiss zf's)

MFT
Olympus 12mm

I know some people have tried adapting old C-mount S16 TV lenses on the Pocket and there's Shane Hurlbutt's blog post, a few years ago, on Zeiss Primes & old S16 Zooms on the Cinema Camera. Apart from those, I can't find any footage of adapted S16 lenses to MFT Cinema Camera.

If anyone has any first-hand knowledge or examples on using s16 or adapted C-mount please feel free to add to this old post as it will help me and any future MFT Cinema Camera owners.
SubUrban Voodoo Productions

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 1:01 am

S16 and C mount lenses just do not cover the BMCC sensor diagonal. A few of the S16 lenses 35 to 50mm just barely cover the sensor, anything wider will vignette.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Paul Abrahams

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 am

Denny Smith wrote:S16 and C mount lenses just do not cover the BMCC sensor diagonal. A few of the S16 lenses i. 25 to 50mm just barely cover the sensor, anything wider will vignette.
Cheers

Ah, thanks Denny I suspected that, though I hoped the vignetting might be ok past 25mm.

Paul Abrahams

PostWed Jun 20, 2018 1:29 am

Return to Cinematography