How to keep the focus when shooting with a gimbal?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Michael Moore

How to keep the focus when shooting with a gimbal?

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 am

None of BM cameras dont have continuous autofocus. How you could keep the focus when shooting with a gimbal and UMP G2, BMPCC 4K, BMPCC 6K?How you could tracking a moving subject when you are 1 man crew? How you could use 1 hand to gimbal and 1 hand to follow focus for many hours shooting? How to compensate the continuous autofocus facility that Sony, Canon, Panasonic offer in their cameras?

Michael Moore

Re: How to keep the focus when shooting with a gimbal?

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:56 am

Australian Image wrote:You plan your moves, set focus, and then move with the subject.

In run and gun style you can not to plan always your move, because the actions is happens very quickly. Another suggestion?

Jeff_kirkland

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 10:03 am

There's not much else to suggest. There's only three options with a cinema camera. Either plan the shot and maintain your distance, add a focus motor and pull focus, or use a different camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My System:
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
macOS 10.14, 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3, AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

Chris Whitten

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 11:00 am

Yeah, a sub $1500 camera and sub $600 gimbal is always going to involve compromise.
I use a wide angle lens (Olympus 17mm) and have the lens set to something like f5.6 or f8, minimising the risk of the subject moving out of the focus plane.
Otherwise practice your gimbal work a lot and try and move at an equal distance to your subject at all times.
Chris Whitten

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 11:15 am

With the micro cinema, i control focus with a wired remote attached to the gimble handle. If you use a lens with electronic focus you don't need a follow focus.

But last time i checked no one has built a hardware remote for the pocket 4k. Only option was a mobile app, which i don't see being operated from a gimble handle.
Last edited by Benjamin de Menil on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Benjamin de Menil

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 11:29 am

Johannes Jonsson

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm

when on a gimbal I just use Tilta Nano. Sometimes I have someone taking care of it using it with wireless monitor or I just do it my self in run and gun.
Johannes

Michael Moore

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Benjamin de Menil wrote:This might also be of interest:
https://www.eoshd.com/2019/07/exclusive ... pe-add-on/

I know about this solution but until now this is just a prototype and not a commercial solution.Where i can buy this conitinuous autofocus controller?

Michael Moore

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:when on a gimbal I just use Tilta Nano. Sometimes I have someone taking care of it using it with wireless monitor or I just do it my self in run and gun.

With my UM 4K or with a UMP G2 is more easy to controll the focus because in run and gun style i shooting from BM shoulder mount, and 1 hand is free to keep the focus to my moving subject. Shooting with a gimbal and a camera without continous autofocus is a different story.

Michael Moore

PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:11 pm

Australian Image wrote:You're either going to have to learn to do that, or get a different camera.

Please can you tell me what gimbal, what BM camera, what rig, what accesories you use? Please can tell me more detaillated what is your secret to keep 1 hand free to control the focus and 1 hand to control the gimbal?

Joenkeck

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 1:13 am

Honestly the most ergonomic way I’ve found is using a tilta nano + Tilta M handgrip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RazvanBA

PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Ursa (mini 4k or mini pro 4.6) + Ronin 1 + Nucleus M with handles and R/S cable + Armor Man 2.
You can even throw zoom lenses (use 2 nucleus m motors) or complete manual zoom lenses (and use a third motor for iris even). You control everything from tilta nucleus m handles.
Using a Digipin 13 remote you can skip using the nucleus m handles if you use lenses that are compatible for focus, zoom and iris. But that’s a bit tricky as the remote is not very ergonomic. Though I use it for iris, if necessary, to avoid loading the gimbal or when using lenses that move the front element when focusing (and tilta motor would slide and fall).

Return to Cinematography