BMPCC6K Slowest Frame Rate

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Peter Baylis

BMPCC6K Slowest Frame Rate

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 7:41 pm

Trying to get super fast motion.
What's the lowest number of frames I can shoot on an interval timer? (if possible)
My aim is to buy this camera to record the lowest number of frames over the longest amount of time, so when played back everything photographed moves at incredible speed... OR am I over thinking what I want to achieve? Maybe you have a better way to get there...thanks for any advice/help.

rick.lang

Re: BMPCC6K Slowest Frame Rate

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 8:51 pm

Okay, Peter, but it has better be something that moves slowly like a plant emerging from the ground and growing for a week. Actually that’s too jerky, I’ve seen that decades ago. How about a closeup of a single fruit growing on a tree?

One frame every ten minutes so that plays back at up to 36000x on a 60 fps project frame rate. Pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Peter Baylis

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 10:14 am

rick.lang
many thanks for that. your info helps in one area i'm interested in.
The other is to photograph a static object with the world (traffic and people) 'zipping' past it.
From your assist, it looks like I can control the BMPCC6K from an interval timer, cheers.

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 am

Peter Baylis wrote:rick.lang
many thanks for that. your info helps in one area i'm interested in.
The other is to photograph a static object with the world (traffic and people) 'zipping' past it.
From your assist, it looks like I can control the BMPCC6K from an interval timer, cheers.

You cannot control it from an interval timer, but there is a feature where you can set the camera to do time-lapse by taking a single frame every x seconds which is then automatically assembled into a video clip.

Peter Baylis

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:29 am

Kristian...

BRILLIANT, that's what I needed to find out, thanks so much...I'm off to buy the BMPCC6K.
Regards
Peter

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:31 am

Traffic and people may not be the best way to use 1 frame per 10 minutes. I was using the most extreme in suggesting 60 fps video. If you used that a car or person will only show in one frame and be gone. You won’t have any illusion of motion when an object appears for 1/120” and is gone. Will just be noise. You might try 1 frame every 10 seconds for what you want but you still may not have any sense of movement unless the objects are at a significant distance from your camera and your lens is wide. To perceive motion, you need the car to appear in frame two or three times at a minimum. Even one frame every second might work better for people and cars. If it’s just people, one frame every 10 seconds may give you a sense of motion again given the field of view is large enough.

Have fun but start at one frame every second for 24/25/30 fps project frame rate and see if you like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Peter Baylis

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:35 am

Kristian Lam...

One last Q, I have a couple of original BMPCCs each with a Metabones Speed Booster for my Nikon prime lenses. Will that Speed Booster work with the 6K ? If not which should I buy.

Peter Baylis

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 11:38 am

Many thanks Rick Lang.

Most helpful

PB

Robert Niessner

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 pm

Peter Baylis wrote:Kristian Lam...

One last Q, I have a couple of original BMPCCs each with a Metabones Speed Booster for my Nikon prime lenses. Will that Speed Booster work with the 6K ? If not which should I buy.

The Speed Booster you had on your BMPCC was for its MFT mount. The new PCC6k has an EF mount. So the answer is no - it won't work with the 6k.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

ttakala

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Also note that the speedbooster for the original pocket will not work with the 4K pocket, because it won't cover the bigger sensor, even though the lens mount is the same MFT.

Nikon F has a longer flange distance than Canon EF, so you should be able to find an adapter (without speedbooster) to use your Nikon glass on the Pocket 6K. (I am not 100% sure of this so check somewhere first.)

Bunk Timmer

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:07 pm

My aim is to buy this camera to record the lowest number of frames over the longest amount of time,
If I read this correctly, you want something that bm cameras don't provide. The longest shutter time is 1/23.98 of a second with a 360 degrees shutter angle. In other words of you can't do it with your bmpcc you can't do it with the bmpcc6K.

MikeMeagher

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Sory of related..BMD please add some more options to shutter speeds... such as 1, 2, 4, 10, 20,30 50, 60 seconds or more.
The ability to have the shutter open many seconds for night star photography plus the existing timelapse feature would work great for my needs.

I use the PCC4K
Mike Meagher Filmmaker
Win10 64 pro I7 6core ASUS X99 64 GB RAM
M.2 system drive.
2x SSDs in Raid0 cache.
3x 7200 HHDs in raid0 as video source storage
Two EVGA1080TI cards 422.19 Studio
Decklink MiniM 15.1 4K HDMI to BENQ WS271
Resolve 16.1 studio

Return to Cinematography