BMCC 2.5k firmware upgrade

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

spotmouse

BMCC 2.5k firmware upgrade

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 11:57 am

Dear BM, finally after 1 year waiting, got my cam... Yesterday tested, everything is fine, but can't find very useful functions. and Maybe my recommendations could be your next firmware upgrade.
If using ultrascope - video signal is transferring to MAC via thunderbolt so...

1. Please unlock video OUT from Thunderbolt cable.. As now only SDI out is on. As there is a lot of cables thunderbolt to HDMI (even apple), DVI... lots of portable monitors are with hdmi only in (DSLR series). In my situations got stuck... as now i need to buy extra hardware like yours SDI to HDMI.
2. two functions urgent needed, format HDD and DELETE bad footage directly on camera.
3. Not very important, but why i can't get access to my files directly with thunderbolt or USB cable...

Everything else is perfect... Big camera, strong body, nice rubber... Beautiful pictures, awesome quality in common situations. Of course in some conditions even RED can't handle it...

Jonas Bengtson

Re: BMCC 2.5k firmware upgrade

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 pm

spotmouse wrote:1. Please unlock video OUT from Thunderbolt cable.. As now only SDI out is on. As there is a lot of cables thunderbolt to HDMI (even apple), DVI... lots of portable monitors are with hdmi only in (DSLR series). In my situations got stuck... as now i need to buy extra hardware like yours SDI to HDMI.

There is nothing to unlock. You confuse Thunderbolt with Displayport and Displayport with HDMI output.
What's happening when you plug in a Mini Displayport cable to HDMI into your Macbook is that the graphic hardware recognizes the cable as an HDMI cable and changes the output signal from a packet based video signal (Displayport) to a HDMI stream.

The Blackmagic Cinema Camera does Thunderbolt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbolt_(interface) as in Data over Thunderbolt. It is just a PCI Express interface over cable with no graphic circuitry in the loop. This is also probably one of the reasons why all BM hardware only have One TB slot with no loopthrough. As of now this interface is used to transfer video data to a Thunderbolt aware reciever (macbook) with the right hardware and drivers. The Cinema Camera in it's current state and probably with the current onboard hardware is not capable of switching the Thunderbolt stream to a HDMI stream on board.

This is no "LOCKED" feature, it's just you that misunderstood what Thunderbolt actually is and confused the cables, ports and standards.

Have a look at this to understand how a computer with Thunderbolt manages the interleaving of Displayport into the Thunderbolt stream and also allowing the overriding of the chip for HDMI output.

spotmouse

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Thank you for clearly answer. Going to buy extra stuff :-)

adamroberts

PostSat Jul 06, 2013 2:38 pm

Jonas Bengtson wrote:There is nothing to unlock...

Joans that was the best explanation I've seen on this forum. Nice one.

Many confuse the fact that having a Thunderbolt connection means it has all the functionality of a computer.

The BMCC is a Thunderbolt device. Like a hard drive. It does not have all the controllers that are in a PC or Mac. So it has no way of sending an HDMI signal out via Thunderbolt.

Andreas Kaufmann

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi there,

unfortunately i haven't been able to read through this forum lately.. Any news when compressed raw is coming for the 2,5k camera via a firmware update? If so, at which compression-ratio?

Tried the search from this forum but wasn't able to find clear statements?
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Jonas Bengtson

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm

AndiDieMaus wrote:Hi there,

unfortunately i haven't been able to read through this forum lately.. Any news when compressed raw is coming for the 2,5k camera via a firmware update? If so, at which compression-ratio?

Tried the search from this forum but wasn't able to find clear statements?

No news currently.

Return to Cinematography