Dangerous of Powering the BMPCC4K with the Zhiyun Crane 3 La

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

WilliamSnyder

Dangerous of Powering the BMPCC4K with the Zhiyun Crane 3 La

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 1:55 am

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here because I've been looking all over the place for an answer to my question. I was hoping you could help me figure out if it would be okay to power a dummy battery within the BMPCC4K, using the 8V output of the Zhiyun Crane 3 Lab. I saw in the Crane 3 manual that the DC out can power a dummy Lp-E6 for a canon 5D. I would be using the exact same dummy battery (LP-E6) but for the BMPCC4K.

I've read that the "draw" of the BMPCC4K can be too much for some outputs and so I wanted to check with you guys.

Thanks,

Will

carlomacchiavello

Re: Dangerous of Powering the BMPCC4K with the Zhiyun Crane

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 4:29 pm

Why not go to power in, 12-20v
On battery if I remember is quite small the range of voltage supported.
Anyway how many hour you think you could keep on and on your arm
Gimbal + camera + lens ?
I ever use classic battery on camera, gimbal and go. Better to be lighter and less cable that can unbalance gimbal.
Ps I had crane 2, and with p4K work like a charm.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Phil999

Re: Dangerous of Powering the BMPCC4K with the Zhiyun Crane

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 9:48 am

my power solution so far is to use the internal battery while shooting with the Crane 3, after that let it charge from a power bank. If there's not enough time to recharge I simply leave the cable attached and carry the power bank in a pocket while shooting with the Crane 3.

I was also thinking to use the 8.4V output of the Crane 3, but I guess it's not certain to work in every situation. I read that the camera does power-on using that power source, but who knows if it will be enough for 4k 60fps and mic phantom power.

Return to Cinematography