1080p ProRes

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jordancslee

1080p ProRes

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 6:20 am

Hey all, just got a BM6K, and while I'm of course looking forward to working with 6K raw files + full sensor readout on some projects, I'm also wondering what the best course of action is for those shoots where I don't need all that data. For event videography, travel documentary, and even some lower budget corporate work, I'm hoping to get by with just recording 1080p ProRes. Basically where quantity, speed, and easier post workflow trumps resolution and quality. With that in mind, I have a few questions:

1. With the BM6K at 1080p ProRes, would you say I'm still getting better quality and colour than, say something like a Sony A7III or FS5 at 1080p?

2. Are there picture profiles of some sort that I should be taking into account when recording ProRes? Or some sort of log/flat setting I should use? My very quick test turned out a pretty contrasty and saturated image, though it looked nice. It kind of looked the preview LUT was baked into the image

Thanks! And sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it.

timbutt2

Re: 1080p ProRes

PostWed Sep 11, 2019 11:48 pm

I don’t know if the Pocket 6K does ProRes 444, but if you’re able to choose that option it is very comparable to the image quality you can get out of the high end cameras. Since HD ProRes 444 is used for a lot of television shows shot on the ARRI Alexa then it’s a perfect codec to use with Blackmagic cameras. The benefits are that it’s 12-bit and practically has no chroma subsampling.

Otherwise ProRes 422 HQ is 10-bit and a very good codec. It’s generally the delivery format I use for various companies, so as an acquisition format it’s the highest quality you can get to match a high quality delivery format. Obviously 12-bit ProRes 444 is a better acquisition format. RAW is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

rick.lang

Re: 1080p ProRes

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 1:14 am

I believe ProRes 422 HQ will
Give you sufficient quality for the work you do. You can record ProRes HD without a window, reading the full sensor I think so that’s an economical alternative to recording 4K/UHD.

But as mentioned BRAW can be better (12bit log colour) with a little work in post. If you are concerned about storage, BRAW Q5 may amaze you. Or BRAW 12:1 or better 8:1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography