Super multi focal pocket flush with barrel lens suggestion.

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Wayne Steven

Super multi focal pocket flush with barrel lens suggestion.

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 12:18 pm

Seeing how deep the barrel is on the Pocket 6k, made me think, you could fit a lens in there entirely, leaving the front on the barrel. Now, even rings over and around the barrel. Important thing here, is I'm not suggesting a lens compliant with the mount and flange distance. Anything can be designed to nearly touch the sensor plate and fill the barrel.

During real world run and gun shooting, you want a very compact weather sealed camera setup with multi focal auto, press to auto set and manual options. You can't really afford to carry and just change lenses anytime. So, a wide fast longer range multi focal is needed with no breathing and maximum distortion free zone throughout the range. Only maybe one type of current lens technology could deliver that level of performance inside the barrel, liquid lens technology. Few pure liquid lens technology can go to larger formats, but hybrid physical and liquid lens combinations could and be incredibly small.

If BM could see such a lens, it would change the dynamic of the 6k pocket and all cameras it can fit in (hence a m4/3rds version would potentially be profitable). I imagine a 10x+ with a starting aperture of less than 1.0 and 33mm equivalent field of view might be possible. The simplest quality hard lens system, is the sort of extremely short lens they proposed for the red phone module. It is a design from the 1930's or earlier. The one issue, which doesn't matter so much, is as you zoom you loose aperture and it dims. There is another lens type made after this which deals with that and could possibly fit in the barrel. I have never seen a version of the kens with that much magnification etc. It is not a came walk, it would be good design and engineering. However, faster aperture than 1.0 on micro 4/3rds is likely to give you fast s35 level performance.

It's a dream. I only know the technologies are out there, and they do wonders in the direction of low cost compactness with high quality.

Think about what that would look and feel like on a Pocket 6k. On a Pocket 4k it would look a little funny, but the rings can extend outwards around the lens. Once BM introduces a micro, and can reduce the weight, it would be very light, and compact enough for fov on many feature films.

P.S. current micro cinema cameras are too big to do absolutely everything, there needs to be a nano version, which can use such a lens system to step down a s35 image to less than 1/2 in inch on a very small package. These can be placed all over the place.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Return to Cinematography