BRAW and Internal NDs, oh, what didn't know i needed....

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Adam Langdon

BRAW and Internal NDs, oh, what didn't know i needed....

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 12:32 am

I have my Ursa Mini Pro in for repairs (LCD Screen glitching) and i hopefully will get in back in a week or two.

So my work has an old Ursa Mini 4.6k that i borrowed.... and boy, was it a little rough!

I primarily use my Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC when i shoot weddings, it's a great one-choice lens.
The only Variable ND filter i had was 77mm thread and the Tamron has an 82mm, oops! So i had to go with a big old matte box--oh wait! The IR Cut! I didn't have one big enough. so I had to use the only Firecrest IRND i owned....which was 2.1....so really dark.
I made it work, though, kinda.

Then i formatted my EGODisk 256GB card and found i could only get 43-ish minutes with CNDG Raw 4:1. What? I'm so used to my BRAW 12:1 getting more like 80-some minutes. Bleh.
I made it work, though. Shot in crop sensor, 2.4:1 ratio.

All it all, I'm finding for the way I shoot, the combination of Internal ND filters and BRAW are a lifesaver for me.
Does the Pocket 6K look appealing? Yes. But man, does my UMP get the job done easily.
URSA Mini 4.6k & Pocket 6k Pro - SLR Magic APO Microprimes - Blazar Remus Anamorphics - Aputure Lighting

Stephen Fitzgerald

Re: BRAW and Internal NDs, oh, what didn't know i needed....

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 am

I hated using the Varible ND’s on my original UMP. When I got my PRO, OMG, felt like a weight was lifted of fun my shoulders, really hope BMD makes a new Camera in the 6K small size with internal ND, that would be the best!

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 am

I may be the only person who loves using a matte box for polarizers, soft filters, graduated ND, and other effect filters. Also, I love using it to block flares and light from hitting the lens. Especially with eyebrows. I’ll use a matte box any day. But then again, I also use it for weight distribution when shoulder rigged or on a tripod.

I also prefer cinema glass over still glass. I like to use a follow focus, or remote follow focus. A longer focus throw is also a godsend.

As for BRAW… on a 256GB I get 114 minutes in 4,608x2,592 at 12:1. I got 31 minutes with CinemaDNG at 4:1. I don’t know what you mean when you say 256GB got you 80 minutes at 12:1. Unless you’re shooting slow-motion, which cuts down how much time you can shoot, but when it is played back at project frame rate it equals that 114 minutes. So I do question a little bit of your statement there since 76 minutes is 4.6K at 8:1. But I do understand the complaint about using CinemaDNG at 4:1 eating a lot more card space for less time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

timbutt2

PostMon Sep 16, 2019 2:17 am

Oh, you said 2.4:1 aspect ratio. So 42 minutes for sure in CinemaDNG 4:1. I can’t say what BRAW 12:1 is off the top of my head but it’s well over 114 since that’s what you get in 16x9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Return to Cinematography