Does anyone who has ever tested Sigma 18-35 F1.8 lens?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

fruitsbasket

Does anyone who has ever tested Sigma 18-35 F1.8 lens?

PostWed Jul 10, 2013 10:58 pm

I will try to buy a Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 EF lens.

Ferenc Józsa

Re: Does anyone who has ever tested Sigma 18-35 F1.8 lens?

PostFri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 pm

Sigma 18-35 F1.8 working fine, Aperture working, Focus OK
(BMCC 1.3.1 firmware)

Amazing lens, excellent sharpness ! :)

Andreas Kaufmann

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 3:12 pm

I'll definately buy that lense.. it's an absolute bargain for what it offers.. It's sharp at 1,8 through the zoom range.. additionately at has a relative long focus throw.. which will make focusing more convenient for the BMCC.. it's a huge leap forward for the BMCC EF Model.. I don't know about the focus-breathing.. anybody got infos to that?
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Andrea Cecchini

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 8:50 pm

I worked with her this days and Im absolutely amazed with this lens. beautiful bokeh and macro.
very sharp lens build like a tank. I have the canon 17-55 but it's 2 step behind. I sell next.
the focus is superb as the zoom very creamy. I never found the same construction in the L lens.
Sigma for the price is a bargain absolutely.
my Bmcc show me f1.7 on the display. :)

Andreas Kaufmann

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 8:16 am

cecchand wrote:I worked with her this days and Im absolutely amazed with this lens. beautiful bokeh and macro.
very sharp lens build like a tank. I have the canon 17-55 but it's 2 step behind. I sell next.
the focus is superb as the zoom very creamy. I never found the same construction in the L lens.

How is the focus breathing of the sigma 18-35mm..? I also own the 17-55mm but don't see any reason to sell it.
For a more run and gun shooting the 17-55mm has some advantages.. (stabilizer, zoom range)
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Andrea Cecchini

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:38 am

AndiDieMaus wrote:
cecchand wrote:I worked with her this days and Im absolutely amazed with this lens. beautiful bokeh and macro.

How is the focus breathing of the sigma 18-35mm..? I also own the 17-55mm but don't see any reason to sell it.
For a more run and gun shooting the 17-55mm has some advantages.. (stabilizer, zoom range)

I can canfirm the focus breathing is zero. Amazing!! The Canon has a lot!!
Personally I didn't use often the stabilization, maybe at 55mm is useful
but the sigma is 35 and I don't think any people found the difference.
As I wrote this lens is superior in all. Just take in the hand to feel the quality!!!
Believe me!!

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 10:59 am

Thanks for your encouraging report, cecchand.

Does the length of the lens tube change when you're zooming? Hopefully not, otherwise it's not working with a matte box.
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Jules Bushell

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 12:16 pm

cecchand wrote:How is the focus breathing of the sigma 18-35mm..?

Wow, unbelievable. Damn, I'll pre-order the Nikon version now. With Speed Booster it covers wide and normal lenses. I thought I'd have to spend a lot more.

Cheers,
Jules
Jules Bushell
url: www.nonmultiplexcinema.com
url: www.filmmeansbusiness.com
url: www.blurtheline.co.uk

Andrea Cecchini

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 12:19 pm

gmf wrote:Thanks for your encouraging report, cecchand.

Does the length of the lens tube change when you're zooming? Hopefully not, otherwise it's not working with a matte box.

Gmf, the length not change and this is the reason to buy the SIGMA in addition the other benefits.
The Canon 17-55 change the tube and with my Arri MFF-2 is not perfect to work. In the long run the lens it could broke. It should to try the sturdy of the lens.
Looks like a Zeiss than Canon when you rotate the gear. :)
Andrea

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Andrea,

great, thanks! I'll grab one as soon as it will be reasonable priced :-)

cheers,
Thomas

Zack Wilson

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Jules Bushell wrote:

Wow, unbelievable. Damn, I'll pre-order the Nikon version now. With Speed Booster it covers wide and normal lenses. I thought I'd have to spend a lot more.

Cheers,
Jules

Just know that most of the Speedboosters only support full-frame lenses - a cropped APS-C lens will probably have some vignetting.

Mark de Jeu

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Zack Wilson wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:

Cheers,
Jules

Just know that most of the Speedboosters only support full-frame lenses - a cropped APS-C lens will probably have some vignetting.

According to Brian Caldwell and Adam Roberts on another thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9683#p62381), this is not the case. ASP-C lenses via the Metabones Speed Booster still cover the BMCC sensor. Will be good to see an actual test with this lens and the Speed Booster.
Mark de Jeu
Video Enthusiast

Zack Wilson

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 4:32 pm

Cheers,
Jules

Just know that most of the Speedboosters only support full-frame lenses - a cropped APS-C lens will probably have some vignetting.[/quote]
According to Brian Caldwell and Adam Roberts on another thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9683#p62381), this is not the case. ASP-C lenses via the Metabones Speed Booster still cover the BMCC sensor. Will be good to see an actual test with this lens and the Speed Booster.[/quote]

If that's the case, that would be great. Let's hope someone can test this soon.

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Zack Wilson wrote:
Jules Bushell wrote:

Cheers,
Jules

Zach, I'm thinking it is a perfect fit for the BMCC sensors. If you take Canon's larger crop value for their APS-C, 1.62x, and divide it by the BMCC sensor crop, 2.28x, you get the magical value of 0.71x which matches the Speed Booster. Wasn't BMD looking ahead when they designed the BMCC sensor? Any APS-C lens designed for the Nikon implementation has a larger image circle and will be a safe bet. And of course no problem putting it on the smaller sensor of the BMPCC.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Andreas Kaufmann

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:41 am

But with the BMCC MFT the speedboster needs to be active to control aperture values??
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Jonathan Hardison

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 8:49 am

This lens will be perfect with the speedbooster. I own the Nikon -> MFT speedbooster, and as long as the Nikon version of the Sigma 18-35 has the same small iris control lever on the mount that all the other Nikon G lenses do, you will be able to control the aperture with the speedbooster's iris ring (it catches the small lever and moves the iris in 1/2 stops).

The 18-35 will not vignette with the speedbooster, as the Tokina 11-16 doesn't vignette, and it's quite a lot wider. If the Sigma's image quality holds up to the manual Nikon AIS lenses (which can hold their own with modern Zeiss and some older Leica lenses), then this is a no-brainer purchase for anyone with a BMCC or BMPCC, speedbooster or no.

Lucas Pfaff

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 am

Jonathan Hardison wrote:and as long as the Nikon version of the Sigma 18-35 has the same small iris control lever on the mount that all the other Nikon G lenses do

That's how Nikons control the Aperture, there's no other way (except manual), so it's pretty much a fact it has this lever :)

Jonathan Hardison wrote:The 18-35 will not vignette with the speedbooster, as the Tokina 11-16 doesn't vignette, and it's quite a lot wider.

The Speedbooster makes the BMCC as wide as the sensor-size these lenses were designed for, so no issue at all :) I'm also thinking about Speedbooster+this Lens. Awesome combo.

Thomas Schumacher

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am

Toby Kahler has a report on his blog: http://www.toby-kahler.com/blog/

Andreas Kaufmann

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 9:29 am

I have one right now..
It feels truly like a cinema lense.. perfect smooth focus (with a good amount of throw).. and a zoom you could use for a vertigo shot :)

Definately try this lense.. you won't be disappointed.. feels far better than the L-Series of Canon
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

pcenginefx

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 10:17 pm

Just got in my lens today and will be shooting with the BMCC and my 4-axis CineDrive tonight!

Photo: https://twitter.com/AaronNanto/status/3 ... 12/photo/1
--
// Aaron Nanto
Twitter: @AaronNanto
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Pcenginefx

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Question for those who have this lens and a BMCC:

Is the Sigma 18-35mm parfocal (holds focus while zooming)?

According to this video by “Raitank” the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 lens is parfocal; watch the video starting at the 58-sec. point:

Unlike cinema & ENG zoom lenses, most DSLR zoom lenses are not parfocal. Does the new Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 hold focus while being zoomed in & out? Thanks in advance.

-

Andrea Cecchini

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Of course, Peter. and zero breathing!!!!

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostTue Jul 30, 2013 11:30 pm

cecchand wrote:Of course, Peter. and zero breathing!!!!

Thanks for that confirmation. Sigma is getting my attention!

-

Thomas Schumacher

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 6:51 am

And it really is sharp wide open. I had it on the BMC and the 7D and with the Sigma reveals the difference in resolution of both cameras more than other lenses.

I'm not too sure about its AF-capablities though, as I shot some photos with AF inbetween and would have gotten better results with manual focus (maybe close-ups of thickly layered oil-paintings aren't the easiest target for an AF).

Ah, and another nice thing besides all others: minimum focus distance 28 cm. If you'r in the EU the cheapest is about 760,- € from an UK-retailer.

pcenginefx

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 4:51 pm

Here it is: The Sigma 18-35 f/1.8+Blackmagic Cinema Camera+Kessler CineDrive

--
// Aaron Nanto

sambak

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 2:04 am

So it's parfocal and it's working (Aperture wise) with the BMCC 2.5k? holding my breathe before i order one! please confirm!!
Thanx

Mark Jamerson

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:51 am

Holy smokes if someone confirms this I'm pressing the order button out of my wish list right now!
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Andreas Kaufmann

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:30 am

mjamerson wrote:Holy smokes if someone confirms this I'm pressing the order button out of my wish list right now!

It definately works aperture wise.. i have one.. the coolest thing is it even goes down to 1,7 which is a bit brighter than 1,8 which you can also choose.. from my experience its parfocal.. its my favorite lens on the bmcc.. the zoom is so smooth that you could easily use it for smoothest zoom in and zoom out..
www.andreas-kaufmann.net

Andrea Cecchini

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:48 am

AndiDieMaus wrote:
mjamerson wrote:Holy smokes if someone confirms this I'm pressing the order button out of my wish list right now!

It definately works aperture wise.. i have one.. the coolest thing is it even goes down to 1,7 which is a bit brighter than 1,8 which you can also choose.. from my experience its parfocal.. its my favorite lens on the bmcc.. the zoom is so smooth that you could easily use it for smoothest zoom in and zoom out..

The same as mine. F1.7 :o I'm in good experience with this lens. better than other L lens.
I didn't believe. minimal focal distance 0.28 like a pseudo macro if you want. very nice bokeh...parfocal, and no breathing. smooth zoom and focus ring for a half price for prime lens. I think it's a bargain for a bmcc.

sambak

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Andrea Cecchini wrote:
AndiDieMaus wrote:

The same as mine. F1.7 :o I'm in good experience with this lens. better than other L lens.
I didn't believe. minimal focal distance 0.28 like a pseudo macro if you want. very nice bokeh...parfocal, and no breathing. smooth zoom and focus ring for a half price for prime lens. I think it's a bargain for a bmcc.

But how does it compare with the big guns like Ziess and Canon L series, is it any better specially with primes as it is a common perception that primes are fastest and sharpest from any zoom lenses?

rick.lang

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:04 am

sambak wrote:
Andrea Cecchini wrote:
AndiDieMaus wrote:[quote="mjamerson"]Holy smokes if someone confirms this I'm pressing the order button out of my wish list right now!

But how does it compare with the big guns like Ziess and Canon L series, is it any better specially with primes as it is a common perception that primes are fastest and sharpest from any zoom lenses?[/quote]

If I recall the recent partial review from Lenstip.com, the lens is quite sharp and very good wide open in the centre. The edges are not as strong, but overall sharpness becomes quite good stopping down a little. There are some possible concerns but also many excellent features making it a desirable lens. Especially given the speed and the price.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

pcenginefx

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 3:40 pm

The Sigma vs. Canon L vs. Rokinon in a head-to-head interview setting test:

--
// Aaron Nanto

Zack Wilson

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 4:23 pm

pcenginefx wrote:The Sigma vs. Canon L vs. Rokinon in a head-to-head interview setting test:

Interesting quick test, although I wish they compared them at different (and sometimes matching) apertures and also would have had some charts at some point. It's tough to compare when they're all at different settings. Also, the Rokinon is notoriously soft wide open, but stop down to 2.0 and it's much sharper, which would compare nicely to the Sigma wide open.

sean mclennan

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Well, the Rokinon was at 1.8. Not quite f2, but it wasn't wide open either.

This comparison should have been done with the Canon 35 1.4.

I would have preferred if all 3 were at 2.8.

pcenginefx

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 6:09 pm

sean mclennan wrote:Well, the Rokinon was at 1.8. Not quite f2, but it wasn't wide open either.

This comparison should have been done with the Canon 35 1.4.

I would have preferred if all 3 were at 2.8.

Yep, sorry - I was trying to get this done quickly and should have matched the f/stop of the Canon... but by the time I got to the Canon lens it was too late to go back and re-shoot the Sigma and Rokinon at 2.8.
--
// Aaron Nanto

Marac

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 6:16 pm

The Sigma 18-35 is killer on the BMCC as is the 8-16 Sigma and the legend 35mm f1.4 Sigma.

Austin Spinks

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 pm

I can confirm that this lens is VERY impressive on the BMCC. Not only in terms of sharpness but the build quality is also excellent. Definitely a go to lens! Shame about not being parfocal, but hey.. you can't have everything can you.

A.
Austin Spinks

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 10:28 pm

Austin Spinks wrote:I can confirm that this lens is VERY impressive on the BMCC. Not only in terms of sharpness but the build quality is also excellent. Definitely a go to lens! Shame about not being parfocal, but hey.. you can't have everything can you.

A.

Pcenginefx plans on doing more tests. He mentioned that going from the tele end of the zoom to the wide end of the zoom, the focus was held. But going from wide to tele, it may not be quite there. That tele to wide shot is quite common and useful.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDhe zoom, the focus appears to
Rick Lang

bhook

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 10:31 pm

rick.lang wrote:He mentioned that going from the tele end of the zoom to the wide end of the zoom, the focus was held. But going from wide to tele, it may not be quite there.

That's not at all surprising. "Zoom in and focus" has been a cam op mantra as far back as I can remember...and that's a really long way back.

Pavel Polden

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 12:26 am

It is great lens for BMCC! I like it.

Best regards, Pavel

Mark Jamerson

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 am

I'm having a hard time deciding which mount to get this with because I have canon cameras but the pocket camera is going to be MFT when ever it arrives. Although I been pondering to skip the BMPC and get the BMCC EF
Mark Jamerson
Jamerson Studios

Steve DiMaggio

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 3:48 am

mjamerson wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding which mount to get this with because I have canon cameras but the pocket camera is going to be MFT when ever it arrives. Although I been pondering to skip the BMPC and get the BMCC EF

I was where you were, got the bmcc with the price drop, all nikon glass here but will get this as my main lens

eyeiaye

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 6:15 am

Steve DiMaggio wrote:
mjamerson wrote:I'm having a hard time deciding which mount to get this with because I have canon cameras but the pocket camera is going to be MFT when ever it arrives. Although I been pondering to skip the BMPC and get the BMCC EF

I was where you were, got the bmcc with the price drop, all nikon glass here but will get this as my main lens

Did you get the evf or m43?
-eyeiaye

Steve DiMaggio

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 5:38 pm

I purchased the EF (bmcc and sigma) I have a family member with an EF and a ton of canon lenses which pushed me toward that model

Austin Spinks

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Pcenginefx plans on doing more tests. He mentioned that going from the tele end of the zoom to the wide end of the zoom, the focus was held. But going from wide to tele, it may not be quite there. That tele to wide shot is quite common and useful.

Rick Lang

Sadly this is not the case. It just appears to hold focus better but it's quite simply an illusion as it isn't magnifying the focus point zooming this way.

The lens (Talking on behalf of my personal lens) is not parfocal zooming in either direction. Not truely parfocal anyway. May be good enough for some but its not quite there, more notably if you check this wide open.

A.
Austin Spinks

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 8:49 pm

Austin Spinks wrote:

Rick Lang

Sadly this is not the case. It just appears to hold focus better but it's quite simply an illusion as it isn't magnifying the focus point zooming this way.

The lens (Talking on behalf of my personal lens) is not parfocal zooming in either direction. Not truely parfocal anyway. May be good enough for some but its not quite there, more notably if you check this wide open.

A.

Thanks for the update, Austin. I haven't read other posts to see if Aaron Nanto's tests have been updated. Probably not a deal-breaker but good to know and take into consideration.

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Michael Borkowski

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am

No ..we have the sigma 35mm F1.4 prime .....about as sharp as the 1.8 ...18-35

Which works well on The Bmcc THough a little too sharp at 5.6 as this brings out the chrominance
Moire ... so we tend to work in lower Fvalues on these super sharp lens

below is a soft lens and a fairly sharp lens example on raw bmcc

http://www.synapsecreative.com.au/showreel.html

cheers.
Michael Borkowski, Markus Holland.

http://www.synapsecreative.com.au

Daniel Fery

PostWed Aug 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Here's a little test sigma 18-35 mm F1,8

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 2:56 am

Daniel Fery wrote:Here's a little test sigma 18-35 mm F1,8

Daniel, that test is going to sell more than a few of the new Sigma lens!

Rick Lang
Rick Lang

Daniel Fery

PostThu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 am

Yes Rick, I think so too
perspective is of high quality and sharpness is the appointment
Next

Return to Cinematography