Losing In & Outs (or Markers) from Speed Changes

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BruceBanner

Losing In & Outs (or Markers) from Speed Changes

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 am

Please forgive my rather vague Subject matter, I am a relatively newbie beginner and can't seem to find the solution to my current issue.

I have finished using Sourcetape in the Cut Page to mark In and Outs and add them to my timeline. My timeline is now complete and am happy with all my starting and ending points for the various clips.

My timeline is 24p and my clips are a mixture of recorded 29 frames or 59 frames (with the intention of slowing these clips down by 80% and 40% respectively). The problem arises that when I select a clip to Change Clip Speed the Ins and Outs are not shifting with that time change, instead staying fixed to the timeline. I have tried Marking the file and the Ins and Outs also, but these seem to also be in correct once lengthening the clip to the correct initial In and Out point.

Furthermore, it appears I cannot go back to the Cut page and set my Sourcetape or Media Pool clips and set them to the Speed I would want to eventually change them to (40% and 80%), and even redo the Ins and Outs again whilst now seeing the footage and the true speed intention.

So now I am pretty confused as to how to build a timeline with various clips cut to length either using the Cut tool, Ins and Outs or Markers. It's going to take a long time to pay strict attention to each clip that is being speed changed where I originally wanted the clip to begin with and end after a Speed Change :(

Any ideas?

Cheers,

BB

Jim Simon

Re: Losing In & Outs (or Markers) from Speed Changes

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 2:08 pm

I never use the Cut page.

On the Edit page, the Clip Speed dialog has the option to Ripple. Use it. ;)

For future projects, I recommend going into Clip Attributes and changing the FPS there before you begin editing.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

BruceBanner

Re: Losing In & Outs (or Markers) from Speed Changes

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 12:53 am

Ripple timeline was indeed the answer to my issue. I found this shortly after posting;

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/2-jqzmYu4J0

This was what I needed.

Return to DaVinci Resolve