proxy generator - performance question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

proxy generator - performance question

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 9:13 am

i got a shoot with multiple camera's in my resolve project, and i decided to give the proxy generator a try to generate 1080p prores files for all of the camera's. (sony fx6, gopro, vhs, dji drone). Everything looks like it has been replaced like it should by the proxies, indicated by the purple icons on every clip. the option "proxy handling" is set to "prefer proxies". So practically, all the camera's are the same files, and should perform the same, right?

but working from the source tape, i still notice a difference in performance when i scrub through the sony camera and for example the dji. scrolling through the sony is still a tiny little bit choppy, while scrolling through the drone files is buttery smooth. I'm talking about quick scrolling with the jogwheel, or playing back 8/16x speed.

the confusing part is that when i place the clips on a timeline (1080p), i don't see any difference, it's all super smooth. It's all coming from the same file location (qnap server, +-900Mb read/write)

There is a difference between the amount of audio channels, but i turned all the channels off for a test, and that did not make a difference. I can't seem to find an explanation for the difference in performance, and that's bugging me :) what could be it?

Uli Plank

Re: proxy generator - performance question

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 10:00 am

Could it be that the system has to try harder to correlate? Somehow it keeps the connection if you want to switch back, while the clips alone in a timeline will behave like originals.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Rick van den Berg

Re: proxy generator - performance question

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 pm

not sure.. i now tested it with another project, same-ish results, what originally 4k sony mxf files were, are scrubbing choppier than the sony mp4 files, while they are all coverted to 1080p prores files.

Return to DaVinci Resolve