False Color Workflow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Editing37

False Color Workflow

PostTue May 14, 2024 2:39 am

Hi guys !
I just wanted to have a comfortable false color workflow when balancing the exposure.
I thought that maybe I can use the false color effect in the Timeline nodes if there is a shortcut to toggle on/off of the timeline grade, so I can go from False Color to normal image while correcting at the clip section.

Is that posible?
Is there a better solution?

Uli Plank

Re: False Color Workflow

PostTue May 14, 2024 5:13 am

Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.7, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM
Sonoma 14.5 with 19b3 (sandbox)
SE, UltraStudio Monitor G3

Marc Wielage

PostTue May 14, 2024 5:49 am

Editing37 wrote:Is there a better solution?

If you're looking for suggestions, I would advise that you not use False Color Mode, because (to me) that's more useful for camera operators and DPs on the set. I think if you follow the guidelines out there for using an RGB Parade scope and a Vectorscope (built in to Resolve), you can use the regular color controls to optimize your pictures very well on the Color page. That's literally what they're for. Don't to it as an Adjustment Layer.

Blackmagic has some free tutorials that go into all of this in great detail:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

Editing37

PostTue May 14, 2024 10:37 am

Marc Wielage wrote:
Editing37 wrote:Is there a better solution?

If you're looking for suggestions, I would advise that you not use False Color Mode, because (to me) that's more useful for camera operators and DPs on the set. I think if you follow the guidelines out there for using an RGB Parade scope and a Vectorscope (built in to Resolve), you can use the regular color controls to optimize your pictures very well on the Color page. That's literally what they're for. Don't to it as an Adjustment Layer.

Blackmagic has some free tutorials that go into all of this in great detail:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... e/training

Hi Mark !!

Yes, I know how to use the scopes, but I wanted to make it faster to nail 40-50 IRE for skin, and when using scopes I have a lot of times that I need to do a mask first to asolate skin in the scopes.
False colors will help me better to do that task !
And also Davinci have the effect built in, maybe there is a smooth way to use it, I wanted to learn a new workflow also !

Mauro

franciscovaldez

PostTue May 14, 2024 1:00 pm

I strongly agree with Mark's recommendation.

I might be biased because I come from a camera background.

I think skin brightness should be relative to the environment and mood of the scene.

And the same applies for color... for those obsessed with the skin tone line on the vectorscope.
MacBook Pro 13"
M2
UltraStudio 4K

Mac Pro
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve