Is it possible to animate masks in the color page?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mixolydian

Is it possible to animate masks in the color page?

PostWed May 22, 2024 5:11 pm

I must be going crazy, because I could swear that at some point I created masks in the color page than then I moved around and set a new keyframe for it, then it would follow the path between keyframes. But in the first frame I created a very simple polygon mask to an area where I want to apply a blur, and then moved the playhead five seconds forward and moved the mask to where the same part of the object was in frame 1. Yes, I know that a tracker could help me much more, but I already tried it and it gets messy because the object at one point disappears, so I'd rather create a mask manually and animate myself, without having to go into Fusion and deal with a lot of nodes just to achieve the same thing.

Well, once I moved the mask, I can see that a new keyframe was created at the playhead time, specifically for the item "Powercurve" inside Corrector 2 (no idea which one is Corrector 1, since I only created one mask).

However, when I move the playhead back and forth between the two keyframes, the mask stays still at the position I set it at second 5. So I'm very confused. Am I crazy and these masks AKA powercurves can't be keyframed when it comes to position?

Peter Cave

Re: Is it possible to animate masks in the color page?

PostWed May 22, 2024 10:26 pm

Full Position/Size/Rotate animation IS possible. You are probably missing a step. The user manual has very good detailed info on how Color Page keyframing works. If you need window shape animation over time, that is done in the Tracker panel.
Resolve 19.0 b3 Mac OSX 14.5 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Stephen Swaney

PostThu May 23, 2024 12:08 am

/me guesses:
Create the Poly Mask in the Color Page, then go to the Tracker.
Set the Tracker to Frame mode (instead of Clip) and set a starting keyframe.
Drag the mask around and keyframe to your heart's content.

Mixolydian

PostThu May 23, 2024 12:57 am

Thanks guys. I noticed something weird just now. Like I mentioned I created the mask in the first frame, then went 5 seconds in and modified, which created a new keyframe. But when I scrolled back to frame 1, it stayed where it was, it didn't go back to the first size and position.

But then I noticed, if I stay at the first frame, and click and drag the mask, and redo the sizing and position for the first frame, now it animates between the two keyframes.

Could this be because I'm using Resolve 19 Beta 2?

Peter Cave

PostThu May 23, 2024 12:06 pm

You need to set a keyframe at the first position then move to a new position for the second kf to be created automatically.
Resolve 19.0 b3 Mac OSX 14.5 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve