multiple clips repositioned on import

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Harkness

multiple clips repositioned on import

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 4:38 am

Hi everyone. I have a music video I shot for a client, all edited in Premiere Pro with the proxies made from Davinci. I have a few problems when importing back into Davinci for coloring.

1. I have some clips where they cross dissolve to black (fade out), and the following clip is suppose to fade in. Davinci is dissolving these clips into eachother.

2. Say I have a clip that its frame count is 0000-1000. Sometimes I will cut that clip into 2. I will use 0100-0300, then I will use 0450-0700. What Davinci is doing often is allowing the first clip to remain at 0100-300, but then randomly changing 0450-700 to whatever it wants it seems.. example it will change it to 650-900 instead of keeping it at 450-700

3. Probably related to both problems, but I have a red exclamation mark on clips IN THE TIMELINE, none in my media folder, as all the clips ARE located. I am not having a problem relinking them. It is a timing issue.

Note that I am using multiple frame rates, 24fps is my timeline, a lot of clips are 24fps, some are offspeed 24fps-60fps, and I believe just one clip is 60fps. I believe the problems are only happening with some of the clips that aren't 24fps (not 100% sure if 24fps is not effected). It is late I will have to check in the morning. I did test with some 24 fps clips and 60 fps clips (retimed) before ever shooting a project to make sure I could import and export back and forth and I didn't have an issue.
Any information is greatly appreciated, my client is patient thankfully.

Marc Wielage

Re: multiple clips repositioned on import

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 7:36 am

Speed changes are problematic even under the best of circumstances. For absolutely predictable results, I would render them out of Premiere and bake in the speed change to a kind of "grade neutral" ProRes or DNxHD file.

I have done speed changes in Resolve, but generally you have to do them all by hand and eye-match them to a reference file of the offline edit. This is also a problem for Avid, FCP, FCPX, Premiere, and everything else: no edit programs are 100% compatible on speed changes or resizing.

It can work to some degree; Patrick Inhofer over on MixingLight.com has a series of tutorials on the Premiere -> Resolve workflow showing why problems happen and how to adjust for them. A lot of them are neither Premiere or Resolve's fault -- it's just a limitation of how far XML can go.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James Harkness

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks Marc really appreciate the info. I am wondering if I make the corrections in Davinci after the import, will they show up properly in Premiere afterwards?

Was in a rush to leave the house when I first responded. I believe you are saying I can correct them by hand in Davinci while looking at my Premiere project to make sure they match properly. I will have to import back into Premiere though in order for my titles to work. I guess I could re-do them quickly in Davinci..
Last edited by James Harkness on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Harkness

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm

Sorry, also when you say render them out of Premiere to a "grade neutral" could you explain that a little bit for me please? It seems the easiest method, as I sort of understand what you mean. I have many clips that are not 24fps, and I believe I understand when you say render them out (send each clip that is retimed to media encoder), it is the grade neutral part I am trying to understand.

James Harkness

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 5:17 pm

Apologies for reposting so many times before getting a response.

I am thinking about coloring the RAW clips that I used in Premiere without the XML file, then exporting them at Prores 4444XQ, making media offline in Premiere, and relinking to my graded clips. What do you think of that idea? This way I dont have to hassle with all of the retiming and effects. Will it work?

James Harkness

PostThu Feb 23, 2017 11:04 pm

So happy this is working. it seems like a much easier method. phew :)

Marc Wielage

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 8:53 am

James Harkness wrote:Thanks Marc really appreciate the info. I am wondering if I make the corrections in Davinci after the import, will they show up properly in Premiere afterwards?

If you render the files with baked-in repositions in Resolve, then you could add the titles in Premiere if you wanted to.

Note you can also add the titles in Resolve if you prefer. There's more and more people moving to Resolve for final finishing, but it all boils down to which specific way people want to work.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

James Harkness

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 8:49 pm

I just rendered the whole clips from Resolve that I actually used in my project with my color grade, final codec and resolution, then relinked the media in Premiere to them. I was able to still make adjustments if I wanted to this way as well, like extending a clip or something. It was rather simple this way actually. No XML needed whatsoever. No fixing anything or re-doing effects at all. Yay :) Thanks for replying Marc

Return to DaVinci Resolve