Optimized Media not enough RAM

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jack Stall

Optimized Media not enough RAM

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Hey guys! So I have this strange problem.

I have some DJI Phantom footage (UHD) in a very old project and I am trying to create Optimized Media (DNxHR LB) and when I select more than 3 or 4 files to create optimized media my resolve crashes, media is not saved and my Windows 10 says it ran out of memory (it says to kill some applications to free some memory). Now we are talking about RAM not GPU memory! I have 8GB ram (I know its not much) but this never happened to me before! I used resolve on alot of projects and it only happens in this old project... My reolve has 4000 ram pre allocated and I have modified the virtual memory of my windows to minimum 4000 and max 14000 and it didnt help. Everything is turned off and it looks like its not using virtual memory at all... (although my virtual is on SSD drive so it should be ok).

Could you help me please?

Btw the rest of my old pc is i7, Zotac GTX770. But as I said I never had such problems with davinci...

Jack Stall

Re: Optimized Media not enough RAM

PostSun Apr 23, 2017 10:10 pm

So I found out one thing...Theres a pre allocated thing in davinci - I cant change that. It simply doesnt move. When Resolve starts it eats up exactly 5.3GB which is OK. When I select ONE file and start creating Optimized Media it spikes to 6.3GB (80%). Still OK. But when I select two files and start Optimized Media creation it spikes well over 80% to 7.1GB or so. When I select more - like 3 or more it spikes to 100% and stays there. After a while - resolve crashes... What a hell is this behavior supposed to mean?

Mads Johansen

Re: Optimized Media not enough RAM

PostMon Apr 24, 2017 4:55 am

8 GB of RAM is not enough. If you look at http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/D ... _Guide.pdf you can see that the minimum they recommend is 16 GB of RAM.
Davinci Resolve Studio 19B Build 20, Windows 11, Nvidia 3060 TI, 551.86 Studio

Return to DaVinci Resolve