Has version 14 added expanded clip logging functions?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Gary Yost

Has version 14 added expanded clip logging functions?

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Question for anyone who's gotten into v14's editing enhancements... The main thing holding me back from using Resolve for editing is that the clip logging functions are so basic compared to what I'm used to in FCPX.
In FCPX you can set multiple in/out points for each clip in their event browser (which is essentially a bin)... this is in addition to having access to markers and commented markers. After setting a range, ctrl-k will bring up the keyword dialog and you can enter keywords for that specific range. You can then continue to do this as many times as you'd like _within_ that single clip. It makes it extremely easy to break down a clip into its component (keyworded) parts, and therefore the entire process of logging/keywording goes much faster.

FCPX also has good support for keyboard commands in this process and you never have to use the mouse, including going from clip to clip, range to range, etc.

When I asked about this a year ago, it was suggested by Peter Chamberlain that I should try making sub clips and use the display name feature to label the clip. But... (at least previously in Resolve), you could make subclips and tag those, but when you make a subclip it is very much like a compound clip in that it has no connection to the original media anymore in terms of the media before and after it. With FCPX, you can keyword any sub portion of a clip and that portion then becomes part of a labeled keyword collection. Then, when you edit it into a timeline, you have access to all the media on that clip in case you need to extend the clip beyond what you originally selected. Peter's suggested workaround falls apart if I don't have huge heads and tails as part of the sub clip to anticipate this, and then what's the point?

Resolve BADLY needs a way to select a range of a clip, assign a keyword to that range, and then sort by keywords. It also needs a bin mode that you could set to "keyword," which would show you bins labeled with all your keywords and contain the clips and clip portions that are part of that keyword collection. (as you probably know, that's the way FCPX does it)

Without this, and given the incredibly extensive keywording I do on every project, it makes Resolve very very clunky for preparing a project for editing. I depend upon bins of keywords to show me the "molecular structure" of my asset library. I can quickly scan the keyword collections, and when I select a collection I can then see which of those subclips have already been inserted into the active timeline. This is also extremely important. The 12.5 editing features themselves were very respectable, and the 14 features take that further I'm sure.

But this keywording functionality is a huge deal.... With the addition of a strong keywording policy and toolset, it would be there. IMHO it's FCPX's "secret weapon" because a well-keyworded asset library is the best start to telling a great story, and that's what it's really all about. My projects tend to be very free-form doc-ish short films, with very little storyboarding or initial structure. (I essentially shoot to a small set of keywords while I'm actually in production... those then flow into keywords in FCPX and that way the project fairly edits itself.)

Has anyone who's installed v14 been able to check this out to see if they've improved it?

THANKS.

robinwillis

Re: Has version 14 added expanded clip logging functions?

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 4:43 pm

Hey there.

I have no idea why you can't extend subclips. It makes no sense. What do you do to get around this?

Robin
https://t.me/pump_upp

John Paines

PostSat Feb 03, 2018 5:57 pm

Edit: Information previously supplied here was not altogether accurate. See below.]
Last edited by John Paines on Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robinwillis

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 3:36 am

I'll try it. Thanks.

John Paines

PostSun Feb 04, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm afraid I have to correct my answer above. Subclips created with alt-b or right-clicking the jog wheel don't have "soft" in/out points.

If a master clip is edited into the timeline with in/out points, then you do have continued access to the entire clip and can set new head and tail frames by setting new in/out points, which will be reflected in the timeline. But that's not a subclip.

robinwillis

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 8:34 am

It seems to me that manipulatable subclip handles is a real necessity... particularly for documentaries.

I like pull shots and then make bins... etc. I guess I will have to get used to adding handles. It's kind of silly though. So many other things in Resolve are really elegant.

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 am

Have you tried using clip-markers?
Attachments
Mediapool clip markers.jpg
Mediapool clip markers.jpg (194.97 KiB) Viewed 1022 times

robinwillis

PostMon Feb 05, 2018 1:51 pm

No but I will give them a try.

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve