Just installed a graphics card, now Resolve doesn't work.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Cody Frohmader

Just installed a graphics card, now Resolve doesn't work.

PostWed May 24, 2017 8:59 am

I have done hours of research trying to figure out the problem, and many other people have asked about it on here, but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

I just installed a graphics card on my computer it is a: MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC with driver version 6.3.9600.16384. And then whenever I tried to open Resolve, it said: "No OpenCL Acceleration Hardware Detected!" "Please quit Resolve and install a openCL accelerated GPU card or update your openCL software driver to the latest version before continuing to use Resolve."

I tried reinstalling the card driver, and the message changed to: "No CUDA Acceleration Hardware Detected!" "Please quit Resolve and install a CUDA accelerated GPU card or update your CUDA software driver to the latest version before continuing to use Resolve.".

Resolve will allow me to open a new project, but when I try to open an existing project, Resolve shuts down right away. I am using the lite version 12.0.1.006 on Windows 8.1 64 bit computer. I should also mention that I also uninstalled the computers original graphics processor, so that Resolve isn't confused on which to use. Is this a problem with Resolve, or my graphics card? Also, if I update to Resolve 14 will that help anything, and can I update without loosing all of my projects?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Just installed a graphics card, now Resolve doesn't work

PostWed May 24, 2017 9:11 pm

You need to install a current AMD Crimson driver.

The driver version you provided appears to be a Windows driver.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

One challenge might be that AMD doesn't have a Crimson driver for that card, for Win 8.1. Win 7 and Win 10 only. That's odd.

And I'm not sure a Resolve version that old will work, but hopefully it will.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Cody Frohmader

PostWed May 24, 2017 10:30 pm

I followed the link you provided, and it says that it is already installed. If I upgrade to the latest version of Resolve lite, it will not negatively effect my current projects will it? It should keep all of my preferences, and settings the same right?

Thanks.

Jeff Brass

PostWed May 24, 2017 11:05 pm

you have backed up your database...right?
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 25, 2017 12:16 am

If you right click the Windows desktop, you should see an AMD Radeon Settings selection. Do you?

If so, when you select it, and then select System then Overview, what is the Radeon Software version?

No guarantees that your projects will go from 12.0.1 to 12.5.5 with absolutely no issues, but there shouldn't be any terrible issues. But at any rate, as Jeff mentions, be sure to backup your Resolve database, in the Database Manager window BEFORE you update the Resolve software, and then you can always revert back to 12.0.1 with your current projects if something annoying does happen in 12.5.5.
Dwaine Maggart

Cody Frohmader

PostThu May 25, 2017 11:47 am

When I right click on my desk top I do not see the AMD Radeon Settings selection at all.

When I search for Radeon it comes up with: Raedon-crimson-relive-17.5.2. Not sure if that is what I am looking for.

Not quite sure how to backup the database, but I should be able to figure it out, and then I will try updating Resolve.

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 25, 2017 4:22 pm

If you don't see the AMD Radeon Settings selection when you right click the desktop, then the Crimson driver package is not properly or fully installed.

I would suggest that you manually download and install the driver package from the AMD web site. But again, since there is no Win 8.1 selection shown, I'm not sure what you should do. Probably try the Win7 driver, I guess.

Database is backed up using the Backup menu in the Resolve Database Manager window, which can be accessed from the Project Manager window in the upper right corner drop down User menu selection by selecting Database.
Dwaine Maggart

Cody Frohmader

PostThu May 25, 2017 8:16 pm

I tried manually installing it for both windows 7 and windows 10, but it did not work for either. Is there any other option other than upgrading to Windows 10?

If I do upgrade to windows 10, and get the drivers installed will I still need to upgrade resolve right away, or can that wait?

Thanks.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu May 25, 2017 8:41 pm

That's a question for AMD.

Using your current Resolve version with Win10 won't be an issue.

If your plan is to do an in place Win10 upgrade of your current Win 8.1 system, no guarantees what will or won't survive that process.

At any rate, if you have a Resolve database backup, there should be no issue simply reinstalling under Win10, if you had to.
Dwaine Maggart

Survivor_Films

PostThu May 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Cody, I'd recommend you try installing the 17.4.4 drivers (since they're the only ones that work correctly with R14 currently should you choose to try it).

You can download the Win 8.1 version here:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articl ... Notes.aspx

I'd also recommend you clean out your old drivers with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) - you can find that here:

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/view ... ?f=5&t=796

The best way to do this is as follows:

1) Download the display drivers and DDU.

2) hit WinKey+R and enter msconfig.

3) On the 'boot' tab pick 'Safe Boot' (minimal).

4) Hit OK and reboot your PC into safe mode.

5) Run DDU (it'll extract first) and pick 'clean and restart' (DDU will reboot Windows in 'normal' mode).

6) Install the 17.4.4 drivers (with or without ReLive) and restart.

That's it! Your card is supported by these drivers and Resolve seems to like them so (fingers crossed) this may solve your problems.

Cody Frohmader

PostSat May 27, 2017 5:26 am

Thanks for the advice with Windows 8.1, but I just upgraded to Windows 10, 64bit, before I saw your reply. I also upgraded to Resolve 12.5.

I updated to the latest Radeon Windows 10 driver:17.5.2, but I am still getting the same error message from Resolve about "No CUDA Acceleration hardware". I did see that it said that my OpenCL is version: 22.19.165.512. I did not however see anything about CUDA in the settings.

So it seems that I am still in the same situation. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostSat May 27, 2017 5:39 am

In Preferences, can you select OpenCL instead of Auto.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Cody Frohmader

PostSat May 27, 2017 6:27 am

Thank you so very much, that is all I needed to do. I just went in and selected OpenCL instead of auto, like you suggested, and it works great now. I didn't realize that I could mess with the options in a new project and have it apply to all of the other projects. It appears that so far even after all of the updates that everything transferred perfectly, and there are no problems with any of my projects. It seems that my graphics card is working as intended, because I am not having to wait for anything to load anymore. Thanks to everyone for all of your help.

Return to DaVinci Resolve