DaVinci Resolve 14 Beta 4 Bug Reports

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Halper

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 Beta 4 Bug Reports

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm

In the Edit screen, Command-W no longer turns on "Selection Follows Playhead". It actually seems to do something else, like give me a split frame between the project and offline reference. In the menu "Selection Follows Playhead" still says it's Command-W and you can still select it properly from the menu.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

AdamRabinowitz

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 7:37 pm

- Fairlight: can't pan audio channels - all audio goes to left channel. Meters show no signal on right channel regardless of panning. Switching to mono output bus get sound out of both channels during playback.

- Fairlight: Sometimes audio output simply stops. Requires exiting and re-entering app to get playback working

Great stuff in general!
Adam Rabinowitz
V18.6.3 Bld 19 Studio
M2 Ultra Studio (Ventura)
64 GB ram
1 TB SSD int. drive
4 TB Tbolt4 NVME Cache
32TB TBolt3 Storage RAID
16TB TBolt3 Render RAID
BMD UltraStudio 4K
Asus PA32QV
Asus MB166C
BENQ PV3200PT

Bernardo Zahav

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:08 pm

- menu Workspace -> Layout -> Primary Display is always grayed out for me
- when I start Resolve, I get a black screen (on decklink output) on the color page, if I go to lightbox it comes back.

Mike Halper

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 pm

With the Tangent Element panel Power Window on/off control doesn't work. Running macOS 10.12.5 with latest Tangent drivers.

Edit: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Suchuāto Ritoru

Re: 14 b3 studio still no launch Not a peep for BM in weeks

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Peter Cave wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509

Yes to which is is still not a response to my issue.

Suchuāto Ritoru

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Peter Cave wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=54509

Oh and FYI PETER. They were sent MANY MANY LOGS. but nice smart ass response.

Daniel Bănică

PostMon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 pm

Same happened to me but after about 5, 6 attempts it finally started.

David Skok

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 am

Bug: Create new Timeline using an existing timeline doesn't work correctly

I have tried this out on a few timelines and see the same issue. I carefully set the In and Out points on the existing timeline. Then I have it selected in the Media Pool, and do a File Create new Timeline (Cmd-N). Then deselect the "Empty Timeline" and Select "Use Selected Mark In/Out". It creates a new timeline, but it only has a subset of the highlighted Timeline (which is also Open in the Edit page).

The same result happens if I just deselect "Empty Timeline" and don't select "Use Selected Mark In/Out".

Thanks, David Skok (real name - waiting for PM to change my username)

David Skok

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 12:44 am

Bug - "Paste Insert" pastes at the start of Timeline only.

I have one particular timeline that will not allow me to Paste clips where I want them. No matter where the playhead is, the Paste goes into the start of the timeline. I do not see this problem in a different timeline in the same project. Sorry that will be hard to reproduce. But if you'd like me to export the timeline and send to you, I will be happy to do so.

Thanks, David Skok (real name - waiting for a PM to change my username)

David Skok

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 1:12 am

SERIOUS BUG: Exported footage is much lighter than when displayed in Resolve.

I have tried to attach two screenshots to show the difference. Your Forum software is crashing everytime I try to upload JPG screenshots. The first photo I'd like to share with you shows what the clip looked like in the Viewer in full screen mode on the same laptop screen. The second shows the exported clip opened in Quicktime viewer. The second clip is much lighter than the first. Given that the whole point of Davinci Resolve is to get accurate colors while grading, this is obviously a very serious problem.

Please let me know how I can share a Dropbox link to these two screenshots so you can see for yourselves.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 am

David Skok wrote:SERIOUS BUG: Exported footage is much lighter than when displayed in Resolve.

I have tried to attach two screenshots to show the difference. Your Forum software is crashing everytime I try to upload JPG screenshots. The first photo I'd like to share with you shows what the clip looked like in the Viewer in full screen mode on the same laptop screen. The second shows the exported clip opened in Quicktime viewer. The second clip is much lighter than the first. Given that the whole point of Davinci Resolve is to get accurate colors while grading, this is obviously a very serious problem.

Please let me know how I can share a Dropbox link to these two screenshots so you can see for yourselves.

Try putting spaces in the path to the dropbox
Dropbox at some location dot com
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Florian Gintenreiter

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:53 am

I'm trying to import an fcpxml from FinalCutProX 10.3.4 into Resolve beta 3 and now also beta 4. (MacPro 2014, macOS 10.12.5)

If I tick "Automatically set project setting" and "Automatically import source clips into media pool" — Resolve beachballs indefinitely.

If I add the media into the media pool first and then import the fcpxml without ticking anything, I get "ERROR the imported sequence frame rate (25.000) must be the same as the project frame rate (24.000)

If I add the media into the media pool first and then import the fcpxml with ticking "Automatically set project setting", I get "ERROR the imported sequence frame rate (25.000) must be the same as the project frame rate (24.000)

When I go to the project settings "Timeline frame rate" is greyed out.

Long story short I'm unable to import anything into Resolve from FinalCutProX.
Hardware: MacBookPro 16" 2021, M1 Max, 64GM Ram, Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K mini, PreSonus 26c Audio Interface

Mark Armistead

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 9:06 am

Having render problems when trying to render as MP4 H.264

Seems a bit random and hard to replicate. As a test I have three .mov files in a timeline. Video format output as MP4/H.264 will do a couple of things. It will either stop rendering, sometimes on 99%, sometimes on another %, or actually complete with no problems.
File extension can also be a bit random, sometimes as .mp4 and other times as .mov?

This is on a late 2015 5K iMac, i7, 16GB RAM, AMD M395X

Crash log attached.
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20170620-094442.zip
(747.53 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

Reynaud Venter

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 11:22 am

Fairlight: Audio Fades:
(1) Creating a custom Cosine fade in (i.e. manually dragging the red fade-shape ball) and then either extending or reducing the Fade In length, changes the fade in type to the default Root-Cosine fade shape. This applies equally to Clip Fade Outs.
Note: extending the clip length does not alter the fade shape or length.
Workaround: none.

(2) Custom fades not saved with Project. When recalling a Project, all custom fades return to default Root-cosine fade type.

Edit:
(1) A Compound clip created from multiple audio clips is muted. Using the "Decompose In Place" command, the multiple audio clips are unmuted.
Note: Switching to the Fairlight page, displays the Compound Clip as without waveform, simply displaying a clip as a block. This was an attempt to workaround the bug listed above.
Last edited by Reynaud Venter on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Christian Saure

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 12:08 pm

*.csv Export metadata and color info files from Comfort Silverstack do not merge all Clips although it did in beta 3

Paul Russell

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 12:23 pm

W10, 14b4 Studio
Installation over existing 12.5 version.
Login not shown, no projects carried over. No option to change to show multi users version in System Preferences.
Uninstall 14b4, re-install 12.5 and the option is there. Click it.
Reinstall 14b4
Still no option to login, go straight to the project window, which does not show any of the current projects, even though they are still there in C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\username

Import backup database from disk. Username database now shows, but none of the projects are there. If I open up a new project, all my Powergrades have disappeared. There's simply no point in getting even further into the program if such a simple import is dysfunctional.

Also, the multi-user option in 14 System Preferences is missing again. Is the software not seeing my dongle and reverting to the free version?

I've reported this bug on every version since b1. To get to b4 without it being addressed is disappointing, to say the least.
Calamity Studio

Rakesh Malik

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Zaur Huseynov wrote:Is it really so difficult to solve the problem with sound? Or do the writers ignore it? I know that the problem with the sound is not for everyone, but it's enough who has this problem.

I'm getting no sound at all in exported footage. It plays and sounds fine in the editor, but the exported clips are silent.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Richard Dean

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm on latest Sierra mac pro 2013 and getting often no playback. Requires restart.

Not sure if highlight mode was involved.

Andreas Schampera

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:09 pm

keyframing volume of audio track is still not working

robertmanningjr

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Reynaud Venter wrote:Markers
(1) double clicking a marker to open the marker's pop-up and clicking in the timecode ruler adds a new marker.
Expected behaviour: marker pop-up to close without creating a new marker
Issue not in beta3.

(2) double clicking a marker and clicking the Save button, creates a new marker.
Expected behaviour: marker pop-up to close without creating a new marker, simply only saving any additional changes made.
Issue not in beta 3.

(3) Creating markers in the Fairlight tab do not appear in the Markers (Index) in the Edit tab.
workaround: only create markers on the Edit tab.

Ditto. And in the edit tab when I try to add a marker to a clip in the timeline the popup appears, but no marker on the clip.
Rob

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core
128GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB
Windows 11 Pro
Davinci Resolve 17 Studio

MacBook Pro
Apple M1, 2020
Memory 16GB
1TB SSD

David Skok

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 3:08 am

BUG: I have a series of clips in my timeline (shot on Sony A6500 in 4K) that when I try to Render using the Deliver page, will always freeze Davinci Resolve. Usually the export gets to 99% and freezes, but sometimes it freezes before then. The only fix is to exit and restart. I am happy to send you the clips if helpful.

Thanks David Skok (real name - waiting for PM to change my user name)

Mathias Boelinger

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:08 am

I can't export proper audio on fairlight. I am working in Sony mxf OP1A files (in and out), which has 8 tracks by default. When trying to export, i seem to be unable to route the audio to different tracks in the export file. I need to have a voiced version on track 1 and 2 and a clean feed on 3 and 4. In ver. 12.5 you could assign each track in your timeline to an output track. This function is gone with the new fairlight design. I tried to do a similar thing by creating several (main) buses, but seem to be unable to assign them to tracks in the export. Instead resolve exports only bus one and strangely assigns it to track 3 in the export file. Have I overlooked something or is this a bug?

Paul Russell

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:35 am

Paul Draper wrote:How about – give us OMF? Old format, but should help with a variety of DAW destinations.

Seconding this request. I always go out to Samplitude, which offers far better mixes, sound quality and automation control than either Premiere or Resolve. It also support sidechain compression, which is essential for any dialog/music work. Premiere's output to OMF is flawless and works every time, making it a dream to deal with - and I don't say this lightly at all.
Calamity Studio

Peter Fizgal

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:04 am

Generating optimized media freezes Davinci every time when my bin is in list view.
This is with a H.264 clip, optimized media is set to 1/8 resolution ProResLT

When I click "generate optimized media" the popup comes up, but no progress and also no countdown.
Resolve sits there untill I force quit (application not responding). Hitting cancel brings up the beachball.

When I switch the bin to thumbnail view everything seems to work fine.

This is with Resolve Studio
Mac Pro 5.1, 2x 3,46ghz, 32GB, macOS 10.12.5, Nvidia 1080ti, latest webdrivers, latest cuda
Mac Pro 2019 - 12core 3.3 - 48Gb Ram - All SSD - AMD Radeon VII - macOS 10.15.2

Reynaud Venter

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 am

Fairlight:

Mixer:
(1) Manually assigned Pan settings are not always retained when recalling a saved Project upon Operating System restart.
Example: Manually assigning Spread to 45%, will be recalled to the default Full Spread (100%).
Workaround: bypass all Pan settings for each channel in the mixer before saving a Project and quitting Resolve. Recall of Pan settings will be correct upon application restart and Project recall.

(2) Creating a new track, provides an active Equaliser on the associated track in the Mixer.
Expected behaviour: Creating a new track, should by default provide a bypassed channel equaliser, with all bands bypassed.
Note: the newly created track's associated channel in the mixer correctly provides a bypassed Dynamics Processor, with each Processor (i.e. Expander/Gate, Compressor, Limiter) completely bypassed.

Clip Tools:
(1) Gain (Volume) and Clip Equaliser are always active for each audio clip in the timeline by default.
Expected behaviour: Opening an audio clip's Inspector window, all Clip tools should be bypassed and inactive - the Clip Equaliser should be globally bypassed and each band should be inactive.
Workaround: manually bypass Gain and Clip equaliser in the Inspector.
Note: Bypassing the Clip Equaliser for one clip in the timeline, bypasses the Clip Equaliser associated with each audio clip in the timeline (i.e. initiates a state as described in the expected behaviour guidance.
Gain, on the other hand, must be bypassed manually in the Inspector for each clip in the timeline.
Side note: the Volume module really should be assigned with the correct designation Gain.

(2) Bypassing a VST plugin (inserted as a clip effect) within the plugin's UI does not completely bypass an audio plugin inserted as a Clip effect in the timeline, as latency is still produced by the plugin.
Note: bypassing a high latency plugin within its UI still produces a delivery with dropouts and out-of-sync audio.
Workaround: Bypassing an audio plugin within the Clip Tool Inspector using the module's switch, completely bypasses the plugin, with no latency being produced by the plugin.
Alternatively, if provided, enable plugin freezing within the plugin's settings.
Parameters: in this instance testing was performed with Izotope RX4 Declicker VST which produces 665ms latency, and the Hum Removal VST with the adaptive filter active, producing 2546ms latency, requiring the host to compensate. In both instances, bypassing the plugin within its own UI still produced high latencies and faulty exports as described in the associated note.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Mike Halper

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:53 pm

Power Windows are really messed up. If I create an oval power window, the actual area that's affected by the power window is not centered in or around the power window. For example, if I have an oval power window on the left part of the frame, the affected area is to the left of the outline of the window that I see on screen. As I move the power window to the middle of the frame the affected area begins to move to where it should be within the outline. Then as I continue to move the outline to the right of the frame the affected area moves to the right of the outline instead of within the outline.

Running on MacOS 10.12.5.

RobertNegron

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Mixer, Manually assigned Pan settings doesn't work, nothing happen.

MacPro mid 2010 12 core
128GB RAM
MacOS 10.12.5
Resolve 18.6.3

Mac Pro 2019 (Rackmount)
16core
256gb ram
4tb boot drive
2 AMD Radeon Pro Vega II

Mac OS Sonoma 14.1

Sascha Singh

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi Blackmagic Team,

Don't know if this is a known issue but it looks quite funny as I find :D

System: Win10,

PS: love your products ;)

Richard Dean

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 am

Adjusting audio levels of clips in the edit page doesn't seem to update the UI until you release the mouse on the adjusted area. I'm sure 12.5 worked better in this regard.

Also is there any way to copy and paste the new EQ adjustments from one clip to another ?

I couldn't find it in paste attributes.

Deryk Eynon

Re: DaVinci Resolve 14 beta crashes.

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:05 am

Anybody tried to export an edl from 14 and rebuild their project like that? I'm having the exact same issue. Significant audio bugs (audio keyframing TOTALLY screwed up! Please fix this issue!) and have to go back to 12.5.6. I'm going to try it and see what happens...
Resolve 17.1., 2016 MBP 2.7 i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB memory, Intel HD 530, Radeon 580 eGPU

Michael Tiemann

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:13 am

My initial problem:

I'm having a terrible time with audio. I have a single R3D media file that has four (scratch) audio tracks and a mono audio track recorded to a SoundDevices 970. I have synched the camera audio with the externally recorded audio. What I cannot seem to do is to produce a media file that has the externally recorded audio, not the camera audio, in the final clip output. I have gone so far as to unlink the camera audio from the video clip, delete all the empty tracks, and STILL Resolve 14b4 finds the camera audio, which has unusable fan noise, and drops that into my final video. It does not use my externally recorded audio, which is perfectly clean.

Now I remember what I'm doing wrong. When I select "Individual Clips" instead of Single Clip, DaVinci Resolve totally changes the interpretation of where audio comes from. It digs into the f*cking clips instead of creating new clips with properly married audio and video as I wish it to be. I HATE THIS FEATURE. I want to be able to load up 20 clips, sync them to clean audio, then output 20 clips with the audio I specify, not the garbage I started with. Ugh!
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

benwalterdirector

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 2:22 am

Still no audio transitions. Not working since beta1.

Vassilis Kontodimas

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 2:28 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
Vassilis Kontodimas wrote:On Mint/Ubuntu systems, starting or loading a project now shoots out a "Segmentation fault" immediately. This was not the case with any of the previous beta versions.

Tested on 3 Linux systems - all i7 processors with:
1. i7 4/core 1.7GHz - 8GB - nVidia 420M 1GB VRAM - 500GB HD - Mint KDE
2. i7 4/core 2.67GHz - 12GB - AMD RX480 8GB VRAM - 120GB SSD & 2x1TB HDs - Ubuntu Studio
3. i7 6/core 3.2GHz - 24GB - nVidia 580GTX OC 1.5GB VRAM - 2x250GB SSD & 1x120GB SSD - Mint KDE

All OS Kernels are distribution recommended.

Can you please capture logs using alt click help and post it?

Actually, I discovered that the core of the issue had been the driver-included Cuda version. Visible as it was in its inclusion (Fusion ran without any complaints all the Cuda required components), this was the issue behind the Davinci crashes. Perhaps a warning on behalf of the application for old Cuda driver could come in handy?

I believe this was the reason as to why my AMD RX480 was able to run Resolve with remarkable stability (and still is). Its OpenCL drivers were up to par. Now I have downloaded and installed the Cuda toolkit directly from nVidia (https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads) and now Resolve goes right through the Project Manager without a crash. I will keep on testing.

Michael Sin

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 am

For all the Resolve 14 beta 1-4:

- Unlocked audio tracks display in dim color as still locked.
Previously locked and now unlocked audio tracks are still dim as shown. There is no way to make it to display as normal unlock tracks, except to create a new track and move over the contents.

- Color of MUTE button
In addition, the color of "Mute" button in locked track is o dark and really hard to see, should be a bit brighter than what is now for a locked track.

- Request: SOLO button for audio track
It should be better to have a "Solo" button for the audio tracks, use "mute all tracks except one" is not the right way to "solo a track", especially when there were groups of tracks to were mute before I want to solo a few tracks. Then there is no way for me to remember which tracks were mute before after "solo".

Thanks in advance.

System: MacPro 32GB RAM, OSX Sierra
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 12.23.02 PM.png
Tracks dim in color after unlocked
Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 12.23.02 PM.png (107.56 KiB) Viewed 18551 times

Michael Sin

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 4:46 am

Resolve 14 beta 2- 4:

- Project can't open: Using remote PostgreSQL database for project with collaboration

I have some projects which were edit in Resolve 14 Beta 2, luckily I got the output to client and after that last save, I can't open that project anymore. It will take long time to forever after it reaches 89% loading.

It was able to open it once in Beta 4, but not always. Even it can be opened, it took a way way long time, from 20-30 minutes in a MacPro Late 2013 with 32GB RAM.

How can I send you the database for further examination for the reasons. I just can't ask the clients to sit in the studio but wait 20+ minutes for opening a project of a video only 4 minutes long.

- Use local database make no difference, still takes long time to load a small project
Furthermore, after I once open that project, I export that project and try to import it in local database as a new project. However, it stills take long to forever (hangs up) to load the same project after import and save as new project.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Sin

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 4:55 am

- Resolve 14 Beta 4

Using remote database with collaboration (but it seems to be crashing too in local database):

After imported a save project, and try to save as a new project, it crashes with messages as attached.

- try to move video or audio tracks up or down, it crashes
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 11.24.36 AM.png
Resolve 14 beta 4 crashes when "save as" a new project after imported from a previously outputted project
Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 11.24.36 AM.png (54.47 KiB) Viewed 18546 times

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 am

Michael Sin wrote:- Resolve 14 Beta 4

Using remote database with collaboration (but it seems to be crashing too in local database):

After imported a save project, and try to save as a new project, it crashes with messages as attached.

Could you please post your captured logs after the crash please?
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Paul Willis

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 am

I'm frequently getting an issue where Resolve wont play back or update the image. I can still click around the interface and adjust controls etc, but the image stays locked onto one frame. Pressing play does nothing. It doesn't appear to crash, I can quit and restart the software normally to fix the issue.

I didn't have this issue with the previous beta, and it's happening on several projects that worked previously.

Footage source is FS7 UHD MXF in a HD timeline.

MacPro 2013
D300
macOS 10.12.5
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Reynaud Venter

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 10:25 am

Fairlight Mixer Channel and Edit page Track Naming strips:

(1) Channel naming across the Fairlight mixer channel strips with its default narrow widths, ensures that channel names are completely illegible. Wider mixer channel strip options (Mini, Medium, Large) and double height naming strips would be a possible solution.

Additionally, mixer strip colour coding that follows the track colour setting would improve channel identification in larger (i.e. 60+ audio channel) sessions.

(2) While an improvement over the Fairlight Mixer, the Edit page's track naming strip only offers truncated text. Again, (user selectable) wider track naming strips would be one solution or perhaps double height naming strips, or possibly user draggable track control section widths.

(3) When resizing track heights in the Edit page, the track naming strip text (when set to micro) completely obscures the Record, Solo and Mute buttons, which now are illegible and almost impossible to click. The font colour choice when selecting an audio track also ensures a less than ideal user experience.

An example of Micro versus Small track height.

Workaround: Avoid use of micro track heights on the Fairlight page timeline. While the channel naming strip text still obscures the channel type (e.g. 2.0) indicator with other track height options, the Record, Solo and Mute are at least accessible (i.e. clickable) and visible.

(4) Default track heights on the Fairlight page are currently set to None when adding new audio tracks. When adding multiple audio tracks in the Edit page, track heights are reasonable:

On the Fairlight page, though, since the default track height is None, the following layout is offered, devoid of track name strips and track controls:

Workaround: Close and restart Resolve. Track name strips and track controls are now visible.

Ed Rudolph

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 1:54 pm

The problem Paul Willis reported two posts above is the same as the one I reported earlier. I have down dated to beta 3.

Michael Tiemann

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:07 pm

Color me confused about this bug report! I have been having a devil of a time working out a relatively simple problem. I believe that Resolve 14B4 is partially to blame.

The basic objective is this: create an inverted vignette around a talking head that was recorded in front of a green screen.

I have a node tree as follows:
Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 3.41.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-22 at 3.41.17 PM.png (101.03 KiB) Viewed 18474 times

What has caused me no end of trouble is that there seem to be several factors that all, with heisenberg-like (un)certainty, either are a part of the problem or a part of the solution. I think Resolve should more rigorously initialize its variables so that if the node tree is wrong, it's always wrong, and if it's right, it's always right.

To wit:

1. When I have what I want in the color window and switch to the deliver window, the preview changes from the composition I expect to just the talking head in front of a black background. When I return to the color window, I see that where the Unmix icon used to be (now a series of stacked rhombuses), the icon is deselected. I get it back to the selected state, switch to the deliver window, and that fixes the preview. But when I render, it might still render the talking head against a black background rather than the one I expected.

2. The Key in Node 1 uses a Qualifier to select the Green Screen and inverts the key to make the green screen transparent and the subject opaque. The key in Node 07 behaves mysteriously. Initially I could not seem to get rid of the green edges (spill) of the key in 01. But I discovered that adding the 07 corrector, with all default settings except an inverted key output magically changed the bright green spill to a much less intense blue spill that passes for a shadow light. I'll take it! But that's not the end of the story.

When I double-click on the Key Mixer, I get a layering of the subject with only about a 50% alpha value on top of the overall opaque background. A second double-click gives me the expected white-on-white matte (where the opaque subject will overlay the opaque background). I would expect the correct matte computation first, last, and always.

3. But then, strangely, I have to invert the input to the key mixer's Channel 2. Since all 07 does is invert the key, and since the key mixer inverts the 2nd input, you'd think I could leave 07 non-inverted (purely default) and not invert the 2nd input. After two double-clicks, the key mixer's matte agrees with my intuition. But the rendered image comes up completely wrong: it shows the green screen in blue and the subject in a black silhouette. So instead I leave well-enough alone and pass an inverted output to an inverted input.

And at the end, I sometimes get the rendering I expect, and I sometimes get just the subject against a black background. I suspect what's happening is there's some very delicate condition whereby my alphas are not adding up perfectly (or, rather, as I expect) and the result is that sometimes the compositor decides to bring in the background and sometimes it decides to bring in black. And sometimes the first frame renders as expected by none of the following do (only black background), and sometimes the first frame renders with a black background and the rest are OK.

Help?!
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

David Steinberger

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 pm

In beta 4 Temporal NR crashes Resolve as soon as I switch from Faster to Better. Does anyone else have that issue? Shall I upload the logs?

Edit1: attached the logs
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20170623-113343.zip
(484.13 KiB) Downloaded 122 times
Last edited by David Steinberger on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 12:13 am

David Steinberger wrote:In beta 4 Temporal NR crashes Resolve as soon as I switch from Faster to Better. Does anyone else have that issue? Shall I upload the logs?

Yes please do!
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Michael Tiemann

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
David Steinberger wrote:In beta 4 Temporal NR crashes Resolve as soon as I switch from Faster to Better. Does anyone else have that issue? Shall I upload the logs?

Yes please do!

I was unable to get Temporal NR to have any effect whatsoever. Spatial NR, yes. Temporal, none.

My graphics card is an NVIDIA Titan GTX.
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X

morgenland

Fairlight audio settings get lost when duplicating timelines

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 9:09 am

I have the habit of duplicating timelines quite often.
When I did some work in Fairlight, duplicating timelines is adventurous regarding the audio settings I made in Fairlight.

When I duplicate the timeline in the edit page no Fairlight settings go with the new duplicated timeline.
When I duplicate the timeline in the Fairlight page, EQ and Dynamics go with the new timeline, Mixer settings and applied effects do not.

By the way: are there no custom controls for the reverb effects - I can´t see them.

Paul Willis

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 11:47 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
Michael Sin wrote:- Resolve 14 Beta 4

Could you please post your captured logs after the crash please?

Log attached. This time it I was conform locking a clip, but the other times it's happened when I've just been doing basic colour correction.

Many thanks,
Paul
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20170517-091916.tgz
(553.53 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
www.chief.tv
www.paulwilliscolour.com

AMD Threadripper 3970X 32-Core
RTX 3090 24GB
128GB RAM
Windows 11

Richard Halle

Re: DaVinci Resolve Studio 14.0b4

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 4:59 pm

I have Win 10 64.

All is OK without Blackmagic Desktop Video software installed, but as soon as I install Blackmagic Desktop Video V10.9.3 to be able to use my Decklink Mini monitor, I can't open any project or even make a new one in Resolve.

I uninstall Blackmagic Desktop Video V10.9.3 and I can't still open anything.

I uninstall Davinci Resolve and reinstall DaVinci Resolve Studio 14.0b4 and all is fine now.

Anybody else experience problems using Beta 14 with Decklink hardware?
Resolve Studio 15.1.2
Win 10 Pro 64 ! Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70 GHz | 32Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8Gb |
Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor 4K

Lucas Hilty

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm

This problem occurred in beta 3 and persists in beta 4.

I copied several clips from one timeline to another in the same project. Now, one of the audio tracks from the pasted clips keep repeating behind all the clips in that target timeline. The timeline does not show the offending audio as being beneath the other clips, but it does play.
If I remove the clips, the offending audio goes away from the other clips as well.

In other words, Calvin keeps talking even when it's Howard's turn:
Note that at the beginning of each new track--at least when I click somewhere else in the timeline--the errant audio begins again. It's not continuing to play through the duration of the original media.

Logs here: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AoGDuU8aR1KIgbRuET9QNxYzdONRfg
Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.60GHz
32GB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660Ti
Win 10 x64 Pro
DaVinci Resolve 15

Avi Vinkler

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Export freeze as well here, on Late 2015 iMac.

When using AAF from Avid or Quick Time ref, Resolve will freeze while exporting, when I try to save the project and exit it gives me the attached error, so I have to force Quit.

Went back to 12.5 and its working fine.

Any ideas?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 11.52.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 11.52.31 AM.png (88.24 KiB) Viewed 18208 times

Matt Haynie

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 10:08 pm

The AAC decoder appears to be extremely unreliable:

This behavior (a few seconds of audio followed by silence) happens on many clips. None of this happens if I transcode to PCM.

Source clip: http://pazer.us/s/20.mp4
PreviousNext

Return to DaVinci Resolve