Failed to enable video output mode

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter Golovtchiner

Failed to enable video output mode

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Hey folks,

I have a late 2014 Mac Pro, with an ultra studio 4k and I am on Davinci Pro.

I load 76 hours of Alexa Footage into Davinci, and all I get, when I try to view it is:
"Failed to enable video output mode = 48703235".

Google gives me nothing on this...
Any suggestion, where I should look first?

Best,
Peter

Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-10 um 18.44.38.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-10 um 18.44.38.png (13.2 KiB) Viewed 10489 times

danielstonehouse

Re: Failed to enable video output mode

PostThu Mar 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Usually that message is seen when another application has control of the video out. You don't happen to have Premiere (or similar) open do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dariobigi

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Does anyone know if this bug/notification has been fixed in DR 14? I am using 12.5.5.026 with Fusion Studio 8.2.1 and even if the preferences of General Options / "Release video I/O hardware when not in focus" is chosen/checked, it gives an error (presumably when auto saving).
This is happening after creating a Fusion Connect Clip and working on it in Fusion while DR is running in the background.
Dario Bigi, Colorist
http://dariobigi.com
New York
C: 1-646-436-4600

HPz840 - 2x 14 Core 2.6GHz - 64GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 21H2
2x RTX 2080Ti (SD 472.84)
Resolve Studio 17.4.6
Decklink 4K Extreme (12.2.2)
FSI CM250
Panasonic FZ1000
Mini Panel

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 pm

This message is most commonly related to selecting settings in the Project Settings - Master Project Settings - Video Monitoring section that your BMD I/O device is not capable of accepting.

Might that possibly be your issue? Or you only see the message when Fusion is running?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Andreas Urra

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 5:19 pm

I have the exact same problem:
"Failed to enable video output mode = 4870325"
"Failed to set the videomode on the video I/O device."

System:
iMac Pro, MacOS 10.14.4 Mojave
UltraStudio Mini Monitor, connected with a USB-C to Thunderbold 2 adapter, SDI into Atomos Sumo (Input 1)
Driver Version 11.2 (Desktop Video)

DaVinci Resolve:
Timeline 1080p25
Video Monitoring HD 1080p25, Dual Link, Video Levels, 8 bit (tried 10 bit also); I also tested with Single Link
Playback Deck settings: HD 1080p25, Video Levels, 10bit (there is no 8 bit), I also teste with "Enable Single Link"

The Atomos Sumo states "No Input" under SDI

Also, once the UltraStudio is selected as Ouput Device (and Resolve is restarted) the playback (in the viewer) gets totally stuttery, playing back faster than realtime and jumping.

Blackmagic Media Express at first did not get the image to the output but after some back and forth now does play a 1080p25 clip.

I always closed Resolve or Media Express respectively before opening the other application, so that there could not be a focus issue.

I switched the thunderbold cables. I also checked with an Atomos Shogun. In both cases Resolve keeps throwing error messages while Media Express gets the clip output.

Any further tips on getting the UltraStudio Mini Monitor to work under Resolve?

Best,
Andreas
Attachments
Project_Settings_1.png
Project_Settings_1.png (201.28 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Project_Settings.png
Project_Settings.png (128.86 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Setup.png
Blackmagic_Desktop_Video_Setup.png (211.09 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Win10, 128GB RAM
NVidia RTX 2080Ti
Resolve 16.2.4

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 2:21 am

I've tested a nearly identical setup with 15.3.1 and 16b4 (since you haven't mentioned your Resolve version) and have no issues. Surprisingly, even selecting Dual Link doesn't bother it, even though the Mini Monitor obviously can't do dual link.

What are you using for the T-bolt 3 to T-bolt 2 adapter?
Dwaine Maggart

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 3:04 am

I've been told, and have verified, that the "Failed to enable video output mode = 4870325" message means that Media Express has control of the Mini Monitor.

So please make sure Media Express is not running.
Dwaine Maggart

Andreas Urra

PostFri Jun 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Hi Dwaine,

thank you for helping. And sorry that I missed posting the Resolve Version. Indeed, it is 15.3.1.003
By now, I did quite some testing. For every step I made sure to reboot the machine and go straight into Resolve to be sure that Media Express couldn't have influenced the system. To double check, I had activity monitor running, too, making sure ME wasn't running.
I tried all kinds of combinations for timeline and output settings. I ripped out accessories like the CalDigit Thunderbolt 3 dock that I need for the second Ethernet and my Eizo display. I temporarily swapped the Ultrastudio to an older but identical unit that I use in my home studio. I unplugged the Ultrastudio from the TB3>2 adapter (Apple original from the local store) and plugged it into the Pegasus R2 TB2 daisy chain port (the Pegasus2 is connected to the Mac by means of an TB3>2 adapter of its own). I switched to HDMI instead of SDI. Nothing.

Then I made a clean empty new project that I configured to 1080p25, single link on all parameters and used the media page to check playback before importing anything (via HDMI at that time) ... and got some flashes of images on the Atomos. Short segments intermixed with black and then nothing.

Encouraged, I switched to SDI and got a clean result.

Since I could not imagine what was configured differently compared to my real project I made photos of every single preference tab and configuration page.

As it turned out, there was one difference:

Project Settings > General Options > Color > Embed timecode in audio output

That made the difference for the SDI signal chain.

Why the HDMI doesn't play properly I cannot tell. I checked with both, Atomos Sumo and Shogun, but that would not work. The Sumo showed some flashes of video before going black. The Shogun wouldn't play at all. The cable is good.

Happy to have picture : )

Best,
Andreas
Attachments
Project_Settings.png
Project_Settings.png (365.05 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
Win10, 128GB RAM
NVidia RTX 2080Ti
Resolve 16.2.4

VicHarris

PostSat May 02, 2020 3:25 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:I've been told, and have verified, that the "Failed to enable video output mode = 4870325" message means that Media Express has control of the Mini Monitor.

So please make sure Media Express is not running.

Hey Dwaine, any other culprits for this? I walked away from my computer, it went to sleep, I came back and this popped up with both SDI and HDMI dead. I did not touch a thing.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 04, 2020 9:14 pm

We strongly recommend you turn sleep and power saving modes off when using Resolve, as weird things like this can happen.
Dwaine Maggart

geoffcbassett

PostSat May 09, 2020 12:10 am

I have not changed my video or desktop settings at all and I am suddenly getting this error on every project despite the project settings.

Additionally certain projects are playing back very fast on the desktop suddenly.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat May 09, 2020 12:15 am

That can happen if Resolve expects an I/O device but can't see it.

I suspect some other app on your system has control of the BMD I/O device.
Dwaine Maggart

Return to DaVinci Resolve