PC specs for Davinci Resolve ...?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Humauin Kabir

Re: PC specs for Davinci Resolve ...?

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 am

waltervolpatto wrote:I will get the 1080, do few jobs then double down with another 1080.

Hi Walter volpatto,

I am using HP Z820 workstation (base model) and would like to buy 'Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 AMP!, 8GB GDDR5X (ZT-P10800C-10P). I am wondering if this card work with my HP Z820 as it depends on the bios system? Thank you very much.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 4:13 am

Cannot be certain, but it should work (if it fit in the case)

Get the 1080ti at this point.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Humauin Kabir

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 11:46 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Cannot be certain, but it should work (if it fit in the case)

Get the 1080ti at this point.

Thank Walter. Yes, it will fit in the case.

Dermot Shane

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 2:53 pm

in a z series machine a "blower" card with a single fan that directs the hot air out the rear of the card is vastly preferable to a dual / tripple fan that exhausts hot air into the case, the z800/820/840 are designed for front to back heat managment

there's almost zero room between the top of an FE card and the heat shroud, so look very carefully before trying to close the shroud, you can destroy the MB

edit to add, after looking at piccie online i'd be pretty sure it will not clear the heat shround, so a lose/ lose if you remove the heat shroud, you will lose HP pretty brilliant heat managment, and you will fill the case with more heat than it was designed to handle

Humauin Kabir

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:in a z series machine a "blower" card with a single fan that directs the hot air out the rear of the card is vastly preferable to a dual / tripple fan that exhausts hot air into the case, the z800/820/840 are designed for front to back heat managment

there's almost zero room between the top of an FE card and the heat shroud, so look very carefully before trying to close the shroud, you can destroy the MB

edit to add, after looking at piccie online i'd be pretty sure it will not clear the heat shround, so a lose/ lose if you remove the heat shroud, you will lose HP pretty brilliant heat managment, and you will fill the case with more heat than it was designed to handle

Hi Dermot Shane, thank you very much for your feedback. It really concerns me now. But can you please recommend any gtx 1080 that has one fan cooling system without compromising the quality compared to the ones with two fan cooling system? I know that 'Nvidia founder edition' is a blower card with a single fan but not quite sure if it is better than the customized ones available in market. Thanks in advance.

Humauin Kabir

PostFri Sep 29, 2017 11:37 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:in a z series machine a "blower" card with a single fan that directs the hot air out the rear of the card is vastly preferable to a dual / tripple fan that exhausts hot air into the case, the z800/820/840 are designed for front to back heat managment

I just read your feedback again. So did you mean that the Founder edition will not fit in the case although it has better cooling system? Thanks again.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 1:33 am

the FE will fit for sure, for anything else you will need to check height carefully

any of the 1080Ti cards are capabile of doing pretty much anything needed through a working day already, not sure i'd see any diffrence day to day with a card that runs a few percent faster, when the existing 1080Ti FE is not using all it's resources as is

Humauin Kabir

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 2:02 am

Dermot Shane wrote:the FE will fit for sure, for anything else you will need to check height carefully

any of the 1080Ti cards are capabile of doing pretty much anything needed through a working day already, not sure i'd see any diffrence day to day with a card that runs a few percent faster, when the existing 1080Ti FE is not using all it's resources as is

Thank you very much for your feedback. I have got one Evga 1080 FE with resonable price. I have learnt that FE card gets hotter and noisy compared to the customized one. Dont you think it is a big issue? 1080ti will be expensive for me at this moment.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 1:23 pm

heat issues? zero, no overheating in z series machine, it may not be a first choice if the case is not designed to exhaust hot air the way the z cases are

noise issues? can't really say, my machines are in rack and the disk arrays are louder than any machine already

i did have a z820 on my desktop for about a week while i installed w10, and loaded / verfied software, no memory of noticable or objectionable noise

Humauin Kabir

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:heat issues? zero, no overheating in z series machine, it may not be a first choice if the case is not designed to exhaust hot air the way the z cases are

noise issues? can't really say, my machines are in rack and the disk arrays are louder than any machine already

i did have a z820 on my desktop for about a week while i installed w10, and loaded / verfied software, no memory of noticable or objectionable noise

Thank you very much Dermot Shane for guiding me. So I will go with Founder edition. Thanks a lot again.

John Paines

PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Although HP workstations are typically packaged with Quadros, which have a fan design like that of the "Founders Editions", there *are* people running gtx cards in HP workstations.... Check the HP forums, and comments from HP staff.

Note that on the typical higher-end gtx card, the fans won't run at all until relatively high temperature threshold are met. Most of the time, the fans are off, if the box is otherwise well-cooled. And how Quadro cards manage to direct air flow to the rear exhaust fans, in the middle of the box, with one fan on the same plane as the multi-fan versions of the card, is a mystery (and is that the official claim?), but I'm not an engineer.

Humauin Kabir

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 2:38 pm

John Paines wrote:Although HP workstations are typically packaged with Quadros, which have a fan design like that of the "Founders Editions", there *are* people running gtx cards in HP workstations.... Check the HP forums, and comments from HP staff.

Note that on the typical higher-end gtx card, the fans won't run at all until relatively high temperature threshold are met. Most of the time, the fans are off, if the box is otherwise well-cooled. And how Quadro cards manage to direct air flow to the rear exhaust fans, in the middle of the box, with one fan on the same plane as the multi-fan versions of the card, is a mystery (and is that the official claim?), but I'm not an engineer.

Hi John Paines, it's interesting. Thanks for your comments. So do you suggest it is also okey to use customized card with HP Z820? I will check the HP forum as well.

John Paines

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 2:57 pm

I know other people are doing it, but not having tried it myself, I can't offer you any assurances. And of course you have to make sure that the card will fit. The different versions can vary by inches.

Generally, the FE cards seem to be poor values compared to the later offerings, which have better cooling(!), among other features. So I'd be reluctant to buy one, unless there was no other choice. Do you have access to a retailer which will accept returns, if you're not happy with one of the later cards? Temperatures are easy enough to monitor.

Dan Sherman

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:23 pm

The big differences between founders edition cards and aftermarket ones are as follows.

• FE cards use blower style fans, that work better in poorly ventilated cases, at the cost of being louder. If your case is well ventilated, after market fans will be quieter and cool the gpu better.
  • The pcbs on aftermarket cards are better suited to overclocking as they usually have better power delivery and power management.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Jean Claude

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 4:43 pm

yes,

There is also a difference between FE and aftermarket GPU. The main component is the same but all other components and their (big) quality are left to the appreciation of other manufacturers other than NVIDIA. Hence the ability to work at higher speeds, the same for accompanying software.

FE if you're in a hurry,
if not, with prices not higher, better quality.

Regarding the mobo + CPU, I admit to be a bit in the fog ... INTEL vs AMD for Davinci Resolve: no real findings.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Humauin Kabir

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:03 pm

John Paines wrote:I know other people are doing it, but not having tried it myself, I can't offer you any assurances. And of course you have to make sure that the card will fit. The different versions can vary by inches.

Generally, the FE cards seem to be poor values compared to the later offerings, which have better cooling(!), among other features. So I'd be reluctant to buy one, unless there was no other choice. Do you have access to a retailer which will accept returns, if you're not happy with one of the later cards? Temperatures are easy enough to monitor.

Hi John, thanks for your feedback. I will ask the retailer. If they accept returns, that would be great.

Humauin Kabir

PostWed Oct 18, 2017 10:08 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:The big differences between founders edition cards and aftermarket ones are as follows.

• FE cards use blower style fans, that work better in poorly ventilated cases, at the cost of being louder. If your case is well ventilated, after market fans will be quieter and cool the gpu better.
  • The pcbs on aftermarket cards are better suited to overclocking as they usually have better power delivery and power management.

Thank you very much Dan for pointing out. Actually I was confused how I can define if my case is well ventilated. After watching some video, I am more or less convinced that my case has very good cooling system.

Dermot Shane

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 am

the Z series from HP has fantastic cooling, not sure what Dan is on about there... and the diffrence in performance is not a issue in the real world, if a stock 1080ti does everything you ask in a working day, and never uses more than 60% of it resources, it makes the square root of zero diffrence if it's overcloecked, water cooled and now running at 58%....

working all day on a DCi4k show with a single FE 1080Ti, dual 2687w's, super fast array, all EXR 16bit sources... not even close to useing up the GPU's resources at any point

Humauin Kabir

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:the Z series from HP has fantastic cooling, not sure what Dan is on about there... and the diffrence in performance is not a issue in the real world, if a stock 1080ti does everything you ask in a working day, and never uses more than 60% of it resources, it makes the square root of zero diffrence if it's overcloecked, water cooled and now running at 58%....

working all day on a DCi4k show with a single FE 1080Ti, dual 2687w's, super fast array, all EXR 16bit sources... not even close to useing up the GPU's resources at any point

Thanks Dermot for your explanation.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:the Z series from HP has fantastic cooling, not sure what Dan is on about there...

take a look at the specs sheet. it has 2 92mm fans in the front and 2 in the back.
http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111526.pdf

Even cheap consumer grade cases have better airflow than that.

take a look at one of the cases I have at home.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-se ... tower-case

2 120mm fans in the front blowing cool air in across the drives
2 120mm internal fans pulling cool air across the drives
2 120mm fans on the side blowing cool air in directly onto the MB & GPU
2 120mm fans on the top blowing hot air out
1 120mm fan on the back blowing hot air out

It has another 120mm mount point on bottom that i can't use because my power supply is to big.
AMD 7950X | AMD 7900XTX (23.20.24) | DDR5-6000 CL30-40-40-96 2x32 GB | Multiple PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME | ASUS x670e HERO | Win 11 Pro 23H2 | Resolve Studio 18.6.5 B7

Humauin Kabir

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
Dermot Shane wrote:the Z series from HP has fantastic cooling, not sure what Dan is on about there...

take a look at the specs sheet. it has 2 92mm fans in the front and 2 in the back.

take a look at one of the cases I have at home.
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-se ... tower-case

2 120mm fans in the front blowing cool air in across the drives
2 120mm internal fans pulling cool air across the drives
2 120mm fans on the side blowing cool air in directly onto the MB & GPU
2 120mm fans on the top blowing hot air out
1 120mm fan on the back blowing hot air out

It has another 120mm mount point on bottom that i can't use because my power supply is to big.

Dan, thanks for the comparison. But according to the manual corresponding to your link, HP Z820 has more fans than you mentioned. I just copied and pasted from the manual as follows:

Cooling Solutions Air cooled forced convection, liquid cooling (optional)
Power Supply Fans 2x - 80mm x 25mm
CPU Heatsink Fan 92 x 25mm 5-wire PWM for each CPU
Chassis Fan Rear: 2x - 92mm x 25mm
Front (850W config): 1x - 92mm x 25mm (upper position)
Front (1125W config): 2x - 92mm x 25mm
Memory Heatsink Fan 3x - 75 x 90 x 35mm memory blowers
80 x 25 mm 4-wire PW fan

I love to share the following video either.

One of the advantages of Z820 is the rack system case.

Craig Marshall

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 8:37 pm

I have built PCs in professional 19" rack cases for broadcast television use and in some designs, the case remains slightly pressurised thereby preventing a dust build up. The fans achieve this by drawing cool air in through a series of removable particle filters then expelling the warm air at a slightly lesser rate.
4K Post Studio, Freelance Filmmaker, Media Writer
Win10/Lightworks/Resolve 15.1/X-Keys 68 Jog-Shuttle/OxygenTec ProPanel
12G SDI Decklink 4K Pro/Calibrated 10bit IPS SDI Monitor
HDvideo4K.com

Dan Sherman

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Humauin Kabir wrote:Dan, thanks for the comparison. But according to the manual corresponding to your link, HP Z820 has more fans than you mentioned. I just copied and pasted from the manual as follows:

Humauin Kabir wrote:Power Supply Fans 2x - 80mm x 25mm

This only effects the power supply, the air gets pulled into the power supply and ejected out the back of the case. it has no effect on the rest of the components in the case.

Humauin Kabir wrote:CPU Heatsink Fan 92 x 25mm 5-wire PWM for each CPU

this doesn't get cool air into the case or hot air out. All the cpu heat sink fan does is blow air already into the case over the cpu heat sink.

Humauin Kabir wrote:Memory Heatsink Fan 3x - 75 x 90 x 35mm memory blowers
80 x 25 mm 4-wire PW fan

This is just like the cpu fans above, it just blows air already in the case over the memory heatsinks.

Humauin Kabir wrote:Chassis Fan Rear: 2x - 92mm x 25mm

These are the fans i was referring to. You have 2 options 3 fans or 4 fans. These are the only ones that are going to get fresh cool air into the case and hot air out of it.

Dan Sherman

PostThu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Craig Marshall wrote:I have built PCs in professional 19" rack cases for broadcast television use and in some designs, the case remains slightly pressurised thereby preventing a dust build up. The fans achieve this by drawing cool air in through a series of removable particle filters then expelling the warm air at a slightly lesser rate.

This commonly referred to as "positive pressure", and it's what you want unless you like routinely breaking your case open and cleaning it every few months. An air compressor helps a lot, but lugging a 50+ pound case out into the shop is a pain in the butt.

Dermot Shane

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 4:57 am

Dan Sherman wrote:

ummmm, no, not really accurate to comare a consumer case with a low pwered fan -vs a z8xx series HP machine.

but the proof is in the pudding...

my z820 is currently running all 40 threads at 100% has been for hours now, and the fans are not even spooling up, can't remember the last time i heard the fans, months and months at a minimum.

i have three z8xx machines in rack with five arrays, and two other machines - the arrays are far louder and throw out far more heat than the z8xx series machines they are attached to

you will need to make sure you have 24" of clear cool air front and back as HP suggests, the heat shrouds and related heat managment inside the z series is impressive, and far beyond what you are thinking... not atall an empty consumer case...

the spec we don't care about is the size of the fans, we care about what they do... so the spec's you care about are;
heat dissiaption, 2x 2690's / 2 x k5200 = 1940 Btu/Hr
deskside noise = 26Db with internal hd read / write, 23Db when ideling or using an SSD like we all do in 2017...

Nick Kurucsev

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 7:24 am

Hi, I had a z800 and replaced the quad to card with a gigabyte gtx1080ti Gaming OC 11g with 3 fans and it fitted and worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks,
Nick
DR 16 Studio
Gigabyte X299X Designare Mainboard, I9-10980XE CPU
128Gig Ram Windows 10 RTX3090

Dermot Shane

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm

cool that it fits underneath the heatshroud,
-but-
i would be concerned about exhausting heat from card1 straight onto my Lsi raid controler card that's already running hot, and haveing card 2 in the bottom slot exhausts heat into a tiny space, if sitting vertical that space sits on the floor, my machines sit horiziontal in a rack so at least that surface could dispate some heat

for me i feel it's far better sending it out the rear as designed, i'll trade off a tiny and mainly theroritical performance gain for stability any day...

i did mention that one machine has been rendering a DCi4K feature into Jpeg2000 XYZ overnight, with zero heat issues despite running all threads at near 100% for 12 hours so far

that's the stability that counts more to me than a <3% gain when the card that is designed to work with HP's heat managment is not even running at 50% most days

Humauin Kabir

PostFri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Dan Sherman wrote:
Humauin Kabir wrote:Dan, thanks for the comparison. But according to the manual corresponding to your link, HP Z820 has more fans than you mentioned. I just copied and pasted from the manual as follows:

Humauin Kabir wrote:Power Supply Fans 2x - 80mm x 25mm

This only effects the power supply, the air gets pulled into the power supply and ejected out the back of the case. it has no effect on the rest of the components in the case.

Humauin Kabir wrote:CPU Heatsink Fan 92 x 25mm 5-wire PWM for each CPU

this doesn't get cool air into the case or hot air out. All the cpu heat sink fan does is blow air already into the case over the cpu heat sink.

Humauin Kabir wrote:Memory Heatsink Fan 3x - 75 x 90 x 35mm memory blowers
80 x 25 mm 4-wire PW fan

This is just like the cpu fans above, it just blows air already in the case over the memory heatsinks.

Humauin Kabir wrote:Chassis Fan Rear: 2x - 92mm x 25mm

These are the fans i was referring to. You have 2 options 3 fans or 4 fans. These are the only ones that are going to get fresh cool air into the case and hot air out of it.

Interesting. Never thought about it. Thanks again Dan.
Previous

Return to DaVinci Resolve