Project settings for multiple format footage?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robert Frank

Project settings for multiple format footage?

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 11:44 pm

I have an ongoing project that is bringing in footage from a wide variety of sources:

1. BMD: ProRes with 'film' profile metadata
2. Canon C300: Canon Log MPEG2
3. Canon: consumer MP4
4. Canon DSLR: MOV format using H.264 MPEG4
5. iPhone, Android

My understanding is that once footage is imported into Resolve 14.1 the project settings can't be changed.

So... What is the best way to set up a project to handle these different cameras as far as color correcting footage and matching shots from different cameras and formats. Unless I'm overlooking it, the manual doesn't seem to address it and I haven't found anything online to walk me through this scenario.

Thanks for all feedback!

Uli Plank

Re: Project settings for multiple format footage?

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 2:57 am

What can't be changed is the frame rate of your project and it can be tricky to change resolution.
Everything else can be worked on. So, what's the intended delivery format? Start from that and tell all camera folks to use the same frame rate.
Another question would be matching the look with such a range of cameras. You'll have to start from the weakest format in terms of grading, the MP4 in 8 bit, and match the better cameras to that.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Robert Frank

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 3:06 am

Uli Plank wrote:What can't be changed is the frame rate of your project and it can be tricky to change resolution.
Everything else can be worked on. So, what's the intended delivery format? Start from that and tell all camera folks to use the same frame rate.
Another question would be matching the look with such a range of cameras. You'll have to start from the weakest format in terms of grading, the MP4 in 8 bit, and match the better cameras to that.

Thanks!

All the footage is the same resolution and frame rate, so that's not an issue.

I was more concerned with the color science and how the main project settings affects each camera's color on the timeline/output. Any recommendations for the color science in main project settings? Does the main project color science only affect the final output, and then camera color is set in the media pool, per clip?

Thanks for helping this Resolve novice!

Sam Steti

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 am

Hey,

Though it's a very dangerous piece of tool (that's why I usually never reckon it) on which you don't have any parameter to tweak, it looks like you may spare a huge amount of time by trying the "shot match to this clip" trick...
Look in the manual and try to select each footage source to try that... If you're lucky*, you may start on this basis.
*yes, this trick is based on luck only :)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Robert Frank

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 3:06 am

Sam Steti wrote:Hey,

Though it's a very dangerous piece of tool (that's why I usually never reckon it) on which you don't have any parameter to tweak, it looks like you may spare a huge amount of time by trying the "shot match to this clip" trick...
Look in the manual and try to select each footage source to try that... If you're lucky*, you may start on this basis.
*yes, this trick is based on luck only :)

Thanks, I'll try this and experiment with a copy of the project in case I screw it up beyond recognition! :)

Sam Steti

PostThu Nov 23, 2017 10:50 am

Haha, don't think you'll screw much actually, but be aware cmd/ctrl + z is the only way back ;)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to DaVinci Resolve