Finishing and deleting a project

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Carles Castillo

Finishing and deleting a project

PostFri Nov 24, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi all,
I would like to know which are ALL the folders that I have to delete after finish a Project and before to begin a new one.
With this I will have always the computer clean of material of the older projects.
Thanks.
Carles
Windows 7 professional - 64 bits - Service Pack 1
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2609 V3 @1.90GHz 1.90GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4200
RAM 40GB

Dermot Shane

Re: Finishing and deleting a project

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 2:17 am

i set up any project with it's caches / still inside a dedicated folder in my DAS, and keep the cam orig on a NAS also ina dedicated folder

i make a DRP with still and luts, restore it to validate it, and then delete the project folder on the NAS, and the project folder on the DAS

if you haev not kept the caches seperate for eaach project then the only recousrse is to use Reslove's delete caches, be prepared to wait a while and have alot of system ram for it to use

Marc Wielage

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 5:43 am

Carles Castillo wrote:I would like to know which are ALL the folders that I have to delete after finish a Project and before to begin a new one.

It depends!

I would go through the Media Page and check the path of all the clips there. In a perfect world, all the clips would go to a single project folder, broken down by original camera files, VFX files, stock footage files, titles, audio files, transcodes, reference files, and so on. That way, all you need do is just delete these source file folders and you've gotten rid of 90% of it.

The rest is just deleting the cache files, and I prefer to do that within the program.

You can use Media Management to gather all the material in one place, which is very easy for organizational purposes. Once a project is shipped, I traditionally take the source media off my main RAID and then throw it on a cheap backup drive, which I'll hold on to for about 90 days "just in case." Only twice have I had a client come back months later and tell me they decided to revise the project and wanted to pay me to essentially do it all again, and luckily for them I still had everything and could do it all affordably. In one case, I had a client come back a year later, and by some miracle I had held on to the session files and we were able to get all the source files, reload them, and relink it all. I figure we saved at least 60 hours being able to do that (on top of the 4-5 days spent doing the revised version of the feature).
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Dermot Shane

PostSat Nov 25, 2017 7:16 am

i still have Flame & DS arrchives from around 2002, migrate them still

and have all the DPX 2k source scans and CTM files for a feature from 2004 that i was able to open up recently... the director wanted it for a lifetime retrospective, and the only copies that exist otherwise are worn/thrashed release prints, i was able to pull an IDE/USB1 dock out of the closet and slowly copy the 6 reels back onto my array, then make a DCP for him, and it has never looked better... would have loved to have been able to have that in the theatres in 2004...

the archive functin in Resolve is pretty usefull, as long as you bring a lot of RAM, i saw it climbing up to 70+ gig last week pulling an archive

one reason to have 96 gig minimum on hand

so i tend to avoid the "delete caches" option as it uses the same amount of ram as the archive, takes forever and hammers the DAS mercessly

deleting a cache folder at the OS level is fast and painless if the caches are managed in a way that makes it possiable

Carles Castillo

Re: Acabat i supressió d'un projecte

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 10:58 am

Hi,
Thanks to all for the information.
In my next documentary I will try to create a new folder (only for this project) and create inside a new database of Resolve. Imside the folder I will put all the media,...
With this I think that after finish the project I will can to delete the folder and eliminate all the data of this project done (inclusive the database).

Marc, I understand that you keep your projects during some months. After the ok of the client I always keep a render of the master without compression and do the same for all the video and audio tracks (individually). I keep them in a hard disk forever. With this, if the client want a change next year,..., or if a new client want to acquire me the program, I can import in the timeline all the videos and audios tracks and I can edit it another time and to render it with the codec of the new client (without a lot of loss quality).
Doy you know or use another system for it?

Carles.
Windows 7 professional - 64 bits - Service Pack 1
Intel Xeon CPU E5-2609 V3 @1.90GHz 1.90GHz
NVIDIA Quadro K4200
RAM 40GB

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 2:38 am

I highly recommend leaving the database on your system drive for facilities without IT support, and export the project DB via a backup, and restore to check, before you consider deleting it.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

Re: Acabat i supressió d'un projecte

PostThu Nov 30, 2017 4:00 am

Carles Castillo wrote:Marc, I understand that you keep your projects during some months. After the ok of the client I always keep a render of the master without compression and do the same for all the video and audio tracks (individually). I keep them in a hard disk forever. With this, if the client want a change next year,..., or if a new client want to acquire me the program, I can import in the timeline all the videos and audios tracks and I can edit it another time and to render it with the codec of the new client (without a lot of loss quality).

I have to admit, there's been at least three cases I can recall where the client came back 6-12 months later and decided to radically re-edit a project, requiring revised color correction almost from scratch. In at least a couple of cases, they went and reshot new material, so it was a pretty major change. The clients were extremely grateful that we had saved the sessions, and we were able to restore the source files in less than half a day.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve