Best workflow for grading master interview clip?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jesse Barlow

Best workflow for grading master interview clip?

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 5:09 pm

In Premiere, my color grading workflow for long interview clips to is grade the master clip vs the individual clip in the sequence. That way, all sequences featuring that interview are affected, eliminating the need to grade each individual clip and allowing for a single change to affect all instances of the clip. Can you provide the best workflow for achieving this in DaVinci Resolve? Note: my goal is to not have to select and group each instance of the interview clip on the timeline each time.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 10.07.37.jpg
Master clip vs clip instance
Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 10.07.37.jpg (79.04 KiB) Viewed 1750 times

Trevor Asquerthian

Re: Best workflow for grading master interview clip?

PostSat Dec 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Personally I enable the Master timeline (must be done before anything imported to project) and usually also enable Remote grades in my timeline (this means that any shot that is graded from the same clip has the same grade).

Master timeline is in Project Settings / General Options / "Automatically match master timeline with media pool".

The master timeline then contains every clip added to the project - grade the master interview clip once there and enable remote grade on your edit timeline for that clip to see that grade.

Easy on simple interviews - can get yourself in a pickle on more complicated timelines - caveat emptor

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 6:02 am

If the timecode and the tape id is coherent, try to switch to "remote grade"
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jeff Brass

PostSun Dec 10, 2017 6:48 am

for more complicated interviews (multi cam, 2 people etc) I have a different track for each camera and person.

ie Vid 1 person wide, vid 2 person 1 cu, vid 3 person 2 wide, vid 4 person 2 cu, vid 5 wide with both...or what ever the situation is.

For me it keeps it easy to keep track of different shots, people etc then when it comes to grading I grade first clip in vid 1 (turn the other tracks off) then select all clips and apply grade.
Then vid 2...vid 3 etc.

Sometimes all clips for a person can be graded the same - sometimes the CU may need some different work etc, by seperating each to their own track makes, it easy for me, and no "gotchas' by having it set to master timeline etc.

just my 2cw, and just a way that works well for me.
Win10 Pro x64 | i7 5930k|64GB RAM |GTX 1080 8gb | Mini Monitor | DR Studio 16.2

Marc Wielage

PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:00 am

Jesse Barlow wrote:In Premiere, my color grading workflow for long interview clips to is grade the master clip vs the individual clip in the sequence. That way, all sequences featuring that interview are affected, eliminating the need to grade each individual clip and allowing for a single change to affect all instances of the clip.

The problem with that for me is that sometimes, you don't want the interview to precisely match the way it looked 10 minutes or 20 minutes earlier for simple reason that the shots immediately before and after the interview shot may be radically different. I always want the flexibility to make subtle changes when necessary, and I treat each interview shot as an individual moment. I just use stills to match and move on with life. 90% of the time, I will use the original correction but this won't work if the DP made a lighting or exposure adjustment, or if a background window suddenly blows out, or if anything changes.

I just grab Mr. A in a memory still, Miss B in a different memory still, Mr. & Mrs. C in another memory still, and so on, and just bang through the whole thing that way. And then I watch the whole thing from the top and make changes where necessary. The Lightbox helps a lot. You can make an argument for C-mode viewing, putting all the identical shots in order, but again, I have to grade in context.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve