Mini panel carrying case

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Stuart Smith

Mini panel carrying case

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 1:03 am

Has anyone found a nice carrying case for the mini panel? Not the original packaging, more like a customized Pelican? Or if someone has customized a Pelican by themselves? I am going to post this on LGG also, just an FYI.
Thanks,
Stuart

Marc Wielage

Re: Mini panel carrying case

PostSat Dec 16, 2017 6:53 am

Yes, I looked around and the best case that will fit a Resolve Mini Panel is this SKB model:

SKB 3I-2918-10BC Mil-Std Waterproof Case with Wheels and Cubed Foam

The panel is a weird size -- very high, and deeper than you would expect -- so finding a case that will precisely fit it is problematic. This will hold it with room to spare for a mouse, a keyboard, a USB hub, and some small accessories. The wheels help roll it down a hallway and wherever you need to go. None of the other stock Pelican cases or Storm cases would fit (at least from what I saw).

$265 from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004I ... UTF8&psc=1
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Lee Gauthier

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 9:11 am

Just a heads up, don't get cubed foam. Open cel foam deteriorates depending on age, temperature and humidity. No-one can predict when it will happen because of the variables. It degenerates into a sticky, fine-grained gritty powder that's close to impossible to get out of electronics.

Anvil cases, the biggest touring case manufacturer, explicitly excludes open cel foam from warranty coverage because of this.

If you like the case Marc recommended, get the version that's empty -- no foam, no inserts.

Then visit https://www.mycasebuilder.com and ask them to help you design a custom foam insert for the mini panel. Go with closed-cel foam with an extra-dense layer on top to keep the shape when it's empty. You might want to call them before you buy the case, because they may be able to get you a deal on one.

It'll add to the bill, but it will be worth it for the security of your gear.

Stuart Smith

PostThu Dec 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for the info Lee, makes sense and good to know

Return to DaVinci Resolve