Upgrading-Dual GPU-Please Help

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

joshua newman

Upgrading-Dual GPU-Please Help

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me out. This is the first time I've posted to this site, I'm usually able to find my answer by searching the forum, but I'm stumped. I've been using the free version for about a year and I am thinking about upgrading to the Studio version, before I do I want to know if the issues I have will be resolved by it.
I currently use resolve to edit and grade short 3-5 min clips from my Phantom 4 Pro drone and OSMO for my real estate business. I shoot in H.264, 4k @ 23.9fps and typically render out in 1080p, Quicktime H.264, so I don't believe it's that demanding of a codec and application, definitely not as intensive as some of you use and DaVinci is capable of. I think my system should be fully capable of handling it.
I keep getting the message the "GPU Ram is full, lower timeline res or remove corrections", my timeline is 1080p and I get this message before I even do anything to the timeline, it happens when I add it to media pool. I would like to list a few questions and see if I can get some help.
-Why am I getting "GPU Full Message", is 8gb really not enough? If I upgrade to Studio and utilize two GPU's will this rectify it?
-When I render, it only renders out at about 10-12 fps, is this normal or should I expect faster renders, and would upgrading to studio and using two GPU's help this?
-When I upgrade and use two GPU's, how should they be configured, meaning should monitors be plugged into GPU #1 and use GPU#2 and processing GPU or vice versa. My MOBO is set up to be 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (support x16/x0/x0, x8/x8/x0, x8/x4/x4 modes)
-I am considering once I upgrade to also get another GPU and use it for my UI GPU that way I can put both of my 1070's towards processing, is this possible with the configuration I have and if so what GPU would be a good addition?
If someone can please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz
Win10Pro-DaVinci Resolve 14.1.1
64GB Ram-3 x 1TB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 (Boot, Scratch, Render)
3 x 2TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
2 x EVGA 1070 FTW Hybrid 8GB

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Upgrading-Dual GPU-Please Help

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi...

Get a single gtx1080ti nvidia card, that should suffice.
Transcode your material to dnx intermediate codec, that will fix 95% of your issues.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

John Paines

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 9:14 pm

For starters, try removing or disabling the 2nd GPU card, and see if that fixes anything. Note that you won't get CUDA-accelerated decoding of h.264 with the free version.

waltervolpatto

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 9:30 pm

John Paines wrote:For starters, try removing or disabling the 2nd GPU card, and see if that fixes anything. Note that you won't get CUDA-accelerated decoding of h.264 with the free version.

I don't think he has the second card yet.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

PeterMoretti

PostMon Dec 18, 2017 9:48 pm

IMHO, something is messed up with your system. I can edit UHD H.264 (Sony XAVC-S) fine, and I have GTX 970.

Now I am running the studio version, which was a massive speed improvement over 12.5.6. BUT even when using 12.5.6, I never got an out of GPU memory message.

It is true that lowering timeline resolution can greatly improve performance. On 12.5.6 I would sometimes go down to 960 X 540, but even at UHD, I never ran out of GPU memory.

Assuming you have a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, FWIU, you should be fine running both cards at x8.

Also, FWIU, designating a GUI/display only card is not a good idea starting with version 14.

I would look at a program like GPU Shark or GPU-Z to get a better idea of what's going on.

When running one card, the rule of thumb is to connect it to the slot closest to the CPU. But consult your motherboard to be sure and to find out the best way to configure dual cards. Also, their memory is not additive, in that two 4Gig cards don't give 8Gig of addressable memory. What you do get is two cards, instead of one, processing the data. Kind of like if you have a painter with a five foot ladder, adding another painter with a second five foot ladder isn't going to give you a ten foot ladder, lol.

Hope that helps a bit!
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 4:40 am

waltervolpatto wrote:Hi...

Transcode your material to dnx intermediate codec, that will fix 95% of your issues.

I already have two GTX1070's, I guess my question is that if I upgrade to studio will I be able to utilize both GPU's? I am considering getting another GTX1070 and using two for processing and one for monitors if Resolve 14 studio supports it?
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 4:41 am

PeterMoretti wrote:IMHO, something is messed up with your system. I can edit UHD H.264 (Sony XAVC-S) fine, and I have GTX 970.

Now I am running the studio version, which was a massive speed improvement over 12.5.6. BUT even when using 12.5.6, I never got an out of GPU memory message.

It is true that lowering timeline resolution can greatly improve performance. On 12.5.6 I would sometimes go down to 960 X 540, but even at UHD, I never ran out of GPU memory.

Assuming you have a PCIe 3.0 motherboard, FWIU, you should be fine running both cards at x8.

Also, FWIU, designating a GUI/display only card is not a good idea starting with version 14.

I would look at a program like GPU Shark or GPU-Z to get a better idea of what's going on.

When running one card, the rule of thumb is to connect it to the slot closest to the CPU. But consult your motherboard to be sure and to find out the best way to configure dual cards. Also, their memory is not additive, in that two 4Gig cards don't give 8Gig of addressable memory. What you do get is two cards, instead of one, processing the data. Kind of like if you have a painter with a five foot ladder, adding another painter with a second five foot ladder isn't going to give you a ten foot ladder, lol.

Hope that helps a bit!

My mobo supports pcie 3.0, my computer has all the latest tech. I was hoping if I upgrade to studio I will be able to utilize both cards.
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 4:48 am

Can you describe the process of transcoding to a dnx intermediate codec? What software does this require? Do you lose and quality in the process? What is the purpose of doing this, what does it accomplish? Thanks for the help
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:07 am

Walter, IMHO, there is something wrong with his system. I use a much less powerful machine and I've never gotten the same error messages, even when I was on the free version of 12.5.6.
Resolve 14.3 Studio. GTX 970 with GeForce 390.77 driver. Desktop Video 10.9.10. Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0. Windows 10 Pro.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:08 am

joshua newman wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:IMHO, something is messed up with your system. I can edit UHD H.264 (Sony XAVC-S) fine, and I have GTX 970.

Hope that helps a bit!

My mobo supports pcie 3.0, my computer has all the latest tech. I was hoping if I upgrade to studio I will be able to utilize both cards.

Yes, if you upgrade to the paid version you should be able to use both cards and the paid version is considerably faster with H.264 material than than is the free version.

Dean Slawson

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:18 am

I find that currently Resolve performance is "ok" when only 1 of my GPUs is allocated to compute and the other GPU is allocated to display. When I try to use both of them for compute (select "use display GPU for compute") things fall apart: "GPU memory full" messages popping up on a simple timeline, stuttering, freezing up...basically unusable... This is a pity since the GPU being used for GUI-only is another 1080ti
so its capacity is being utterly wasted. I've tried updating and reinstalling drivers, using a current Windows 10 build (16299), Desktop Video 10.9.7. Not SLI configured. Resolve version 14.2.0.012
ASUS x299 Mark I, Intel Core i9-7900x, 64GB, 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung SSD 960 PRO 1TB M.2, WD HDD 12TB RAID 0, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:21 am

PeterMoretti wrote:
joshua newman wrote:

Hope that helps a bit!

Yes, if you upgrade to the paid version you should be able to use both cards and the paid version is considerably faster with H.264 material than than is the free version.
Ok that's what I figured, studio version is obviously better than free. When you say there is something wrong with my system what do you think it is? I've seen other people saying they run into the same issue but it's typically when they aren't running a good enough GPU. I've ran through all of the settings and can t figure out what is going on unless it's just a free version issue. When I was using resolve 12 and only 1 you the only time I would have a issue is when I tried to work in 4K.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

Cary Knoop

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:36 am

joshua newman wrote:Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

I would be worried about system stability and life expectancy of the CPU.
I think 5.1Ghz is simply too much regardless of the cooling system you use.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 am

Dean Slawson wrote:I find that currently Resolve performance is "ok" when only 1 of my GPUs is allocated to compute and the other GPU is allocated to display. When I try to use both of them for compute (select "use display GPU for compute") things fall apart: "GPU memory full" messages popping up on a simple timeline, stuttering, freezing up...basically unusable... This is a pity since the GPU being used for GUI-only is another 1080ti
so its capacity is being utterly wasted. I've tried updating and reinstalling drivers, using a current Windows 10 build (16299), Desktop Video 10.9.7. Not SLI configured. Resolve version 14.2.0.012

Dean, have you tried using two cards with the Decklink card deactivated?

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:42 am

Cary Knoop wrote:
joshua newman wrote:Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

I would be worried about system stability and life expectancy of the CPU.
I think 5.1Ghz is simply too much regardless of the cooling system you use.
I have full stability without any issues and run at cooler than stock temps at only .02 above stock voltage, the 7700k doesn't typically have issues .

Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:45 am

PeterMoretti wrote:
joshua newman wrote:

Hope that helps a bit!

I don't know. I mentioned using a GPU monitoring program and being sure you have the cards installed in the correct slots. So those are some areas to start.

And have you tried running with just one GPU installed?

What I do know is that I'm running a 970 which has half the memory of a 1070, and I've never gotten the out of memory errors that you have described. Perhaps there is something funky with the source clips (like being variable framerate from a cell phone)?

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 am

PeterMoretti wrote:
PeterMoretti wrote:
joshua newman wrote:[quote="PeterMoretti"]IMHO, something is messed up with your system. I can edit UHD H.264 (Sony XAVC-S) fine, and I have GTX 970.

Hope that helps a bit!

I don't know. I mentioned using a GPU monitoring program and being sure you have the cards installed in the correct slots. So those are some areas to start.

And have you tried running with just one GPU installed?

What I do know is that I'm running a 970 which has half the memory of a 1070, and I've never gotten the out of memory errors that you have described. Perhaps there is something funky with the source clips (like being variable framerate from a cell phone)?[/quote]Yes I've used GPU monitoring and I am getting 100% utilization. I'm using footage from a DJI drone and OSMO all at 1080 24fps. I'll have to do more testing I guess to try and isolate the issue.

Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:05 am

If you want to post a link to the file, I can test it out on my machine.

waltervolpatto

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 2:51 pm

mostly is the h264@4k the issue, the system should be fine until you try to do temporal denoise or use neatvideo

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Walter,

joshua newman wrote:Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me out
I currently use resolve to edit and grade short 3-5 min clips from my Phantom 4 Pro drone and OSMO for my real estate business. I shoot in H.264, 4k @ 23.9fps and typically render out in 1080p
I keep getting the message the "GPU Ram is full, lower timeline res or remove corrections", my timeline is 1080p and I get this message before I even do anything to the timeline, it happens when I add it to media pool.
I've used GPU monitoring and I am getting 100% utilization. I'm using footage from a DJI drone and OSMO all at 1080 24fps.

If this is an accurate description of what's going on, then I have to believe that there is a problem. Resolve should not crash when you add 4K 100mbps H.264 media to the Media Pool. And you should not get an out of GPU memory error message with an 8Gig video card playing out 4K H.264 on a 1080p timeline with no effects nor should that card should be at 100% utilization.

Maybe the files are actually H.265 instead of H.264?

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 5:20 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:Walter,

I currently use resolve to edit and grade short 3-5 min clips from my Phantom 4 Pro drone and OSMO for my real estate business. I shoot in H.264, 4k @ 23.9fps and typically render out in 1080p
I keep getting the message the "GPU Ram is full, lower timeline res or remove corrections", my timeline is 1080p and I get this message before I even do anything to the timeline, it happens when I add it to media pool.
I've used GPU monitoring and I am getting 100% utilization. I'm using footage from a DJI drone and OSMO all at 1080 24fps.

If this is an accurate description of what's going on, then I have to believe that there is a problem. Resolve should not crash when you add 4K 100mbps H.264 media to the Media Pool. And you should not get an out of GPU memory error message with an 8Gig video card playing out 4K H.264 on a 1080p timeline with no effects nor should that card should be at 100% utilization.

The files are definitely H.264 and all the rest of the information is accurate. I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers, just learning about resolve and video editing and all that goes with it. I came to the same conclusion you have, that something else is going on. I was hoping it might just be a issue that I'm using the free version and it's limitations are causing this and upgrading to studio will resolve it. Thanks for your help.

Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

Dean Slawson

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:06 pm

@PeterMoretti didn't get that far, in my case was apparently an intermittent fault with the physical connection to the 2nd GPU (after cleaning the contacts on the GPU and riser/ribbon cable with a rubber eraser, and blowing out any dust, it seems fine).
ASUS x299 Mark I, Intel Core i9-7900x, 64GB, 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, Samsung SSD 960 PRO 1TB M.2, WD HDD 12TB RAID 0, DeckLink Mini Monitor 4k

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 9:41 pm

joshua newman wrote:

The files are definitely H.264 and all the rest of the information is accurate. I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers, just learning about resolve and video editing and all that goes with it. I came to the same conclusion you have, that something else is going on. I was hoping it might just be a issue that I'm using the free version and it's limitations are causing this and upgrading to studio will resolve it. Thanks for your help.

If you want to provide a link to one of the files, I can test it out on my machine.

Other things I can think of are:
Check that you're running the latest version of Resolve.
Check that you're running the latest video card drivers.
Check your GPU settings inside Resolve. I've attached a copy of mine; you can also try CUDA or OpenCL instead of Auto.
Try making new projects and see if this always happens.
Run only one video card and be certain it is in the correct slot.
Physically remove the video cards and check their contacts (like Dean experienced).
Uninstall/reinstall Resolve.
Make a cell phone video of this happening and post it for the BMD team to see.
After a crash or out of memory error, post a file sharing link to a DaVincie Resolve log file. You create a diagnostic log by running the following program: C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\CaptureLogs.bat

Off the top of my head, these are the steps I would go through. And I've used some variety of them quite a few times when trying to figure out what's going with my setup.

Also, it's entirely possible that the paid version will fix your problem, just by virtue of doing a new install of the program. But I have to say that what you are reporting with the free version is not normal, IMHO.

Good luck!!
Attachments
GPUSettings.jpg
Working GPU Settings for One nVdia Card.
GPUSettings.jpg (52.78 KiB) Viewed 3277 times
Last edited by PeterMoretti on Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PeterMoretti

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 9:44 pm

Dean Slawson wrote:@PeterMoretti didn't get that far, in my case was apparently an intermittent fault with the physical connection to the 2nd GPU (after cleaning the contacts on the GPU and riser/ribbon cable with a rubber eraser, and blowing out any dust, it seems fine).

Great to hear!!

joshua newman

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 10:33 pm

PeterMoretti wrote:
joshua newman wrote:

[quote="joshua newman"]Hello all, I'm hoping someone can help me out

If you want to provide a link to one of the files, I can test it out on my machine.

Other things I can think of are:
Check that you're running the latest version of Resolve.
Check that you're running the latest video card drivers.
Check your GPU settings inside Resolve. I've attached a copy of mine; you can also try CUDA or OpenCL instead of Auto.
Try making new projects and see if this always happens.
Run only one video card and be certain it is in the correct slot.
Physically remove the video cards and check their contacts (like Dean experienced).
Uninstall/reinstall Resolve.
Make a cell phone video of this happening and post it for the BMD team to see.
After a crash or out of memory error, post a file sharing link to a DaVincie Resolve log file. You create a diagnostic log by running the following program: C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\CaptureLogs.bat

Off the top of my head, these are the steps I would go through. And I've used some variety of them quite a few times when trying to figure out what's going with my setup.

Also, it's entirely possible that the paid version will fix your problem, just by virtue of doing a new install of the program. But I have to say that what you are reporting with the free version is not normal, IMHO.

Good luck!![/quote]Thank you very much. I will try what you suggested and see what happens.

Intel I7 7700k 5.1Ghz

Return to DaVinci Resolve