HDR 10 PQ upload to Youtube issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Peter James

HDR 10 PQ upload to Youtube issues

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm

I have been working on test UHD HDR videos, editing in a Resolve HDR project and export out to QT 10bit MOV files. I then add extra HDR metadata for Youtube via MKVmerge and then upload the MKV file to YT. However in my YT video manager it only shows as HD not HDR and when played back with YT App on my LG OLED HDR TV it is not displayed as HDR. However someone else (Terry) had managed to playback/stream from YT as UHD resolution but the colours are not correctly displayed as HDR.

I am aware that YT does not accept HEVC codec and needs 10 bit to trigger HDR. I have checked the upload MKV file in both MediaInfo and MKVinfo and both show the HDR metadata as expected. The only thing not listed is the bit depth so I tried to import the file back into Resolve to check bit depth properties there but it will not load MKV coded files. Is there any other way to confirm bit depth of MKV files from MKVmerge?

Can anyone offer help with uploading HDR to YT as I have done numerous tests and getting nowhere? Uploading HDR to Vimeo is quite straight forward as my 10 bit HEVC encoded files used for TV playback are accepted with no problems.

HDR HLG videos are probably easier to upload to YT but as I have graded for HDR10 PQ I would like to upload this to YT rather than regrade in Resolve.

Here is a text link to the test file on YT, to playback you will need an HDR device/TV and correct software/App.
youtu.be/cWVowIjgXyQ or search for 'QTDNxHRHQX10' on YT

Thanks Peter

images from Media info and MKVinfo below of the source file uploaded to YT

and below is Mediainfo of video stream downloaded from YT (kindly provided by another user who tried to play it back- thanks to Terry)
i9-7900X OC, Asus TUF X299 Mk2 MB, 32GB Mem, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M,2 NVMe for OS, HDDs for work files, GTX1080Ti 11GB, Win10 Pro 1709, Resolve 14 Studio

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: HDR 10 PQ upload to Youtube issues

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am

Make sure your file is DNxHR HQX 10bit. Check bitdepth before wrapping to MKV.

It should work fine. If not try converting DNxHR to ProRes with ffmpeg and then using MKV tool.

Jouni Ohtamaa

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 7:40 am

Peter James wrote:I have been working on test UHD HDR videos, editing in a Resolve HDR project and export out to QT 10bit MOV files. I then add extra HDR metadata for Youtube via MKVmerge and then upload the MKV file to YT. However in my YT video manager it only shows as HD not HDR and when played back with YT App on my LG OLED HDR TV it is not displayed as HDR. However someone else (Terry) had managed to playback/stream from YT as UHD resolution but the colours are not correctly displayed as HDR.

I am aware that YT does not accept HEVC codec and needs 10 bit to trigger HDR. I have checked the upload MKV file in both MediaInfo and MKVinfo and both show the HDR metadata as expected. The only thing not listed is the bit depth so I tried to import the file back into Resolve to check bit depth properties there but it will not load MKV coded files. Is there any other way to confirm bit depth of MKV files from MKVmerge?

Can anyone offer help with uploading HDR to YT as I have done numerous tests and getting nowhere? Uploading HDR to Vimeo is quite straight forward as my 10 bit HEVC encoded files used for TV playback are accepted with no problems.

HDR HLG videos are probably easier to upload to YT but as I have graded for HDR10 PQ I would like to upload this to YT rather than regrade in Resolve.

Here is a text link to the test file on YT, to playback you will need an HDR device/TV and correct software/App.
youtu.be/cWVowIjgXyQ or search for 'QTDNxHRHQX10' on YT

Thanks Peter

images from Media info and MKVinfo below of the source file uploaded to YT

and below is Mediainfo of video stream downloaded from YT (kindly provided by another user who tried to play it back- thanks to Terry)
YouTube accepts hevc on mkv container.

Lähetetty minun SM-T810 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Cary Knoop

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 3:49 pm

YouTube does (unofficially) support HEVC however for HDR I can't get that to work in a mkv container so I use H.264 instead which does work.

Peter James

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Further to my original post I found a few days later when I retried to playback the test files that I uploaded to YT they played back correctly as HDR from YT so all I can assume is that for some reason there may have been a delay/problem at YT encoding the HDR versions.

I have since uploaded HEVC MKV to YT and these have been correctly encoded as HDR within a few hours. So I am pleased to report that there was nothing wrong with my initial uploads and just need to be patient and allow a day or 2 for YT to encode HDR before assuming there is a problem. Peter
i9-7900X OC, Asus TUF X299 Mk2 MB, 32GB Mem, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M,2 NVMe for OS, HDDs for work files, GTX1080Ti 11GB, Win10 Pro 1709, Resolve 14 Studio

Cary Knoop

PostFri Feb 16, 2018 10:15 pm

Peter James wrote:Further to my original post I found a few days later when I retried to playback the test files that I uploaded to YT they played back correctly as HDR from YT so all I can assume is that for some reason there may have been a delay/problem at YT encoding the HDR versions.

I have since uploaded HEVC MKV to YT and these have been correctly encoded as HDR within a few hours. So I am pleased to report that there was nothing wrong with my initial uploads and just need to be patient and allow a day or 2 for YT to encode HDR before assuming there is a problem. Peter

Interesting you got it to work with with hevc in an mkv container.

Do you tag the metadata in the mkv container and do you provide a custom LUT for fallback to SDR?

Peter James

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 12:29 pm

After export of either QT DNxHR or Cineform YUV10bit .mov (with PCM audio) files from Resolve I used ffmepg or MKVMerge to add metadata when creating the mkv (with aac audio) files. All encode permutations seemed to work for YT okay (eventually) if I remember correctly.

I did dozens of short 3 sec test files with allsorts of permutaions of encoding (including using Hybrid) and uploads in Mid January before it became apparent to me that there appeared to be a few days delay in YT processing/making available HDR versions for viewing.

I wasted a lot of time testing and uploading only to find that most of the files were okay. More recent uploads have been processed within a few hours. Peter

Edit
I also was able to upload direct to YT a QT DNxHR HQX 10bit .mov with PCM audio without the extra metadata and it was encoded as HDR by YT okay.

Cary Knoop

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 3:47 pm

That is my experience too, for 4K H.264 in an mkv container it takes a couple of hours for all resolutions and HDR to show up.

Return to DaVinci Resolve