Restoring Retrieved Project Files.

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Joseph Barnes

Restoring Retrieved Project Files.

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you so much to the dev team who created the software. It's fantastic and really lets me create all the videos I've been meaning to do for years. :)

Unfortunately I recently had my main SSD HDD die which included my OS (Windows 7) and Da Vinci projects. There's about 20 of them so I'm going to have it checked out by a data restore company. If it's possible, I think I will pay as there's over a hundred hours of work involved in them.

So I'm up and running now on Windows 10 (a friend suggested I take the time to finallly upgrade...) with a separate HDD.

1. If I do get my old files back then where are the project database files? In the Davinci folder?

2. Is it as simple as installing Davinci Resolve again then copying these over to the respective location?

3. Anything else I need to know, such as going from Win 7 to 10 for the files?

Thanks.

- Joe

Joseph Barnes

Re: Restoring Retrieved Project Files.

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Resolve database file location?

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\Username\Projects

Or:
C:\Users\Username\Videos

David Franzo

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 pm

The Disk Database folder is the one. Then you can select it in Resolve by opening the sidebar in project manager and clicking New Database > Connect. I have a feeling the stills are going to be lost without doing an actual database backup, but it's worth a shot at copying the hidden ".gallery" folder that is placed in your first media storage location. I really hate that it's hidden since I once formatted the RAID that was being used for caching, since the only folder I saw on it was CacheClip.

Igor Riđanović

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 12:44 am

[quote="Joseph Barnes"]Resolve database file location?

C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Resolve Disk Database\Resolve Projects\Users\Username\Projects]

I'm not in front of a Windows system, but that seems correct for the Disk Database. If you were using a Disk Database you should be able to recursively copy the contents of this path to the same location on the new drive.

If you were using a PostgreSQL database you will need to dump the database to a "C" type file and restore that file on the new drive. You can probably dump the database with the GUI based admin tool that's installed with PostgreSQL. I have only done it from the command line.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Joseph Barnes

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Thanks all. I sent the HDD away today so we'll see what the company comes back with.

So what's the best and easiest method to keeping backups in future?

Dermot Shane

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:48 am

make DRP's
make them often
save them to a raided drive
sync the raided drive to a cloud service or offsite server

anything less (includeing backing up databases) is vunerable to failure

David Franzo

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm

On a semi-related note, does backing up the database include the stills? Or is the only way to save the project as .drp and check the box for including stills?

Return to DaVinci Resolve