another video file inside a power window

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Dominik Kolendo

another video file inside a power window

PostThu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 pm

hi, i am relatively new to resolve, and i have gone over a few tutorials but i cannot figure out how to do a specific task:
i have a puppet with eyes that are static, and i want to layer a gif of them blinking on top.
i can successfully import a gif, and successfully track the power window over it's eyes, but i cannot figure out how to add the gif of the blinking eyes inside the power window so that it will track with the footage, and layer over the static eyes.
this is just a test shot, for the final version i will not have actual green eyes inside the robot, it will just be hollow with maybe a color to make tracking easier so that the eyes will be completely done in post.

in other words, you know how when shows have a tv in the background, but it wont display properly due to exposure or frame length, so they dub it over in post? it would essentially be that same principal

edit: added i already converted the gif to a mov file.
romekeyetest.jpg
romekeyetest.jpg (347.21 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

Marc Wielage

Re: another video file inside a power window

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:23 am

Read the section on "Compositing Using the Alpha Output" in the manual, starting on page 931. A lot is explained there.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Hector Berrebi

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 12:32 pm

You can also look into using the Match Move effect (OFX), Importing your "eyes" clip as a matte, and adding an OFX input to the MM node. (explained in detail from page 1028 in manual).

Alternatively, you can try the workflow I suggested in this thread:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68268
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Kerry Garrison

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Hector Berrebi wrote:You can also look into using the Match Move effect (OFX), Importing your "eyes" clip as a matte, and adding an OFX input to the MM node. (explained in detail from page 1028 in manual).

Alternatively, you can try the workflow I suggested in this thread:
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=68268

This only works with square or rectangle shapes. You can't use an odd shape or transparency.
2022 MacBook Pro M1 Max - 64gb RAM

Hector Berrebi

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 4:45 am

Kerry Garrison wrote:This only works with square or rectangle shapes. You can't use an odd shape or transparency.

Transparency is still an issue with MM...
The second workflow I gave him supports transparency too
H e c t o r _ B e r r e b i
---------------------------
Colorist ~ Consultant ~ Trainer
Da Vinci Resolve Certified Instructor

Dominik Kolendo

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:33 pm

i could make it work with a rectangle shape if need be... the robot eye socket is essentially a rectangle, at least in the area where i need to add pupils.
i appreciate the help but will need to reread the manual apparently as i cannot get this to work still. will report back if i can figure it out or get stumped after trying your suggestions and anyone would still be willing to help

Dominik Kolendo

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:51 pm

here's a better question: would it be easier if i built this robot with a greenscreen in its eyesocket instead?
or really any change i am willing to make in the practical fx so as to reduce complexity in the computer fx.
maybe would it be easier to use flat jpgs and just swap them out with a blink every coupe, seconds?
im open to any suggestions because maybe my original question was presented with the assumption i need to do something in a particular way, when really i just need as little computer time as possible for this project so that doing it on the computer would be easier than figuring out how to build a blinking robot practically.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 11:33 pm

fusion come for free, I will do it in fusion as comp and import in resolve.......
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Dominik Kolendo

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 1:29 am

waltervolpatto wrote:fusion come for free, I will do it in fusion as comp and import in resolve.......

i'm sorry, i don't understand what that means.
i have never used fusion but i understand it to be a more 3d fx oriented program. do you mean make the eyes in 3d and then import that into resolve?

Spencer_Meyer

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 3:43 am

You can create the eyes in fusion, and composite them in fusion as well. There's an easy roundtrip workflow called a fusion connect clip that can be created/initiated in Resolve, for this type of thing. However if you're in a rush, and don't have the time or energy to learn the basics of fusion, you can still do this comp in Resolve, it just takes a bit of work.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Dominik Kolendo

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 5:25 am

hmmm.
i have seen tutorials on how to do this with mocha or davinci studio with mm(aka page 1028), which make sense, but it seemed to me that this would be doable in the basic version of resolve, as the basic functionality of a power window is 90% there.
i have already comped to an alpha channel successfully prior to posting this, i just couldnt figure out if i could track the layer under the robot with that power window, as i can only figure out how to play a static movie clip under an alpha channel. connecting the 2 is where i am lost.
if this is something i need to step up to a pro vid editor for, that's ok, i dont need much beyond imovie except for this specific screen replacement fx and i have a backup plan:

being a traditionally practical fx and stop-mo director my idea to make a grid of 9 squares per eye in a 3x3 grid on the robot in real life, and then use the power window to desaturate and blacken out the squares i don't need for the particular expression the robot is making at the moment. like the principle behind an lcd watch. this is probably overly-complex but its the only way i can envision working so far.

thanks for the help, but this is clearly way over my head/budget.

Spencer_Meyer

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm

It's totally feasible in the free version, but I'm not sure how perfect the end result will turn out. Tracking the underlying layer is a slightly round-about process, but pretty easy.

Copy the track data from the power window, using the 3-dot menu in the tracker palette. Then go to the tracker palette for the underlying layer, and switch to the stabilizer, and again using the 3-dot menu switch to Classic Stabilizer, and paste the track data to the stabilizer. The final two steps are to change the stabilizer's strength parameter to -100 and click the stabilize button.

I think it might be a little tedious to get everything lined up into the robot's eyes properly.
DaVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Jean Claude

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm

You can also try one (old and other) method:

You position your 2 clips one on the other (an plane and pretty eyes)
plane+pretty eyes.jpg

You make a power windows + alpha output + tracking
Power Windows+alpha ouput+tracking.jpg

to finish: you play with Keyframes in sizing for the eyes..
(provided that it does not jump in all directions for the eyes ... :) )
sizing+pan+tilt+keyframe.jpg

(Ok, there is better ... ;) )
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Dominik Kolendo

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 1:55 am

Spencer_Meyer wrote:It's totally feasible in the free version, but I'm not sure how perfect the end result will turn out. Tracking the underlying layer is a slightly round-about process, but pretty easy.

Copy the track data from the power window, using the 3-dot menu in the tracker palette. Then go to the tracker palette for the underlying layer, and switch to the stabilizer, and again using the 3-dot menu switch to Classic Stabilizer, and paste the track data to the stabilizer. The final two steps are to change the stabilizer's strength parameter to -100 and click the stabilize button.

I think it might be a little tedious to get everything lined up into the robot's eyes properly.

omg thank you that worked so well. i was tearing my hair out with this, but i just needed to copy paste the track data!

also, thank you so much for the step by step data, that helped me make sure i was using the correct window. oh god so relieved! it looks great. ill post a vid once i finish.

Dominik Kolendo

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 8:50 am

i found that the easiest way to do this is probably to just avoid power tracking entirely, lol.
i copied and pasted the track data and it gave me a very usable result, but it warped over time i guess becasue the clips were not the exact size?
anyways, i shot a quick test shot of the robot after taking out the physical eyes and painting everything black in the eyehole.
then i tracked it, copied and pasted the power window track data from the live shot into stabilization data for the eye layer.
then i manually added some keyframes, but for this proof of concept i didnt do it very well, plus this is hella shakey cam footage.
for the final, i will probably just manually keyframe as that is much smoother and i know exactly how much work it entails up front, in addition to use a power window as a mask to maybe keep fx in the eyes.
i made the eye blinking layer with "add" mode so the black bg disapears and the green eyes show through:

Return to DaVinci Resolve