Transition to move person to left of screen

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

PeterBrown

Transition to move person to left of screen

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 3:23 am

Hi All,

I've Googled this and tried all of the transitions in 12.5 but can't find out how to do this.

I've produced a video of a person speaking against a black background.

Using the Inspector, I can position the clip at X = -165 to move the person over to the left a bit, so that I can add text or images on the right side of the screen.

However, I'd like to use a transition in which the person moves smoothly over to the left side of the screen, and then back again at the end of the clip.

None of the standard 12.5 transition accomplished that. I tried Slide, Push, etc, etc.

My work around was to fade to black and come back to the moved position, but I'd rather do a smooth movement. I have to do a lot of these, so I'm hoping there's something simple that I can do.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Peter
Windows 10-64-Pro
Dell Precision 7760 w/ i7 processor, 64 Gigs of Ram

John Paines

Re: Transition to move person to left of screen

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 am

If I understand you correctly, convert the shot to a compound clip. Then you can keyframe it's "x" position in the Inspector.

When positioned on the head frame (and x=0), click the keyframe "diamond" to the right of the controls, then move the timeline cursor to where you want the transition completed and set a new minus value for "x". Then reverse that process if you want to bring it back.

PeterBrown

[SOLVED] Re: Transition to move person to left of screen

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 am

Hi John,

That worked perfectly! Thank you very much!

As an added note, I had to figure out, from your comments and my wee brain, that at the end of the clip, I had to put the cursor 10 frames in from the end, and then click the diamond next to the x/y line, and then go to the end of the clip and set x to zero.

So, if I understood it correctly:

With clip selected, and viewing the Inspector:

Cursor at beginning of clip, with x at zero, click diamond next to x/y line.
Cursor in 10 frames (for example), don't click diamond - just set x to value, e.g. -165.

Move cursor to end of clip, come back 10 frames to the left, click diamond.
Move cursor to end of clip, set x to zero.

Is this explanation / operation in the manual? If so, is it under a specific heading?
i.e. what would you call this operation?

Thanks again!!!

Peter
Windows 10-64-Pro

PeterBrown

Re: Transition to move person to left of screen

PostMon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm

Hi John, and All,

As a followup, is there a way to control the speed of the movement in this transition?

Thanks,

Peter
Windows 10-64-Pro

Return to DaVinci Resolve