Confused / frustrated working with mixed frame rates (bug?)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kye Leslie

Confused / frustrated working with mixed frame rates (bug?)

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 am

I do a lot of work with clips with a different frame rate to the timeline and the controls for doing so are confusing and frustrating.

In a recent project, I have a 24fps timeline and clips shot in 24, 50, 60, and 240 fps.

Current experience:
I pull the selected shots to the timeline and they're all in there at 100% speed, which is a good default. I then select the shots I want to have in slow motion. Right clicking and using the Change Clip Speed dialog, it tells me that the clip frames per second is 24fps, which is not correct. If I choose a 50fps clip and change the percentage to 48% (to make it 24fps), this dialog will update the clip frames per second to 11.52, which is also not correct. Despite highlighting multiple clips it has only changed the speed of one of them, so I have to manually do this for every clip.

This approach has the following disadvantages:
1) It's confusing (11.52fps implies it will stutter - the very opposite of why you film in higher frame rates)
2) I have to calculate the percentages for each clip manually

Desired experience:
The Change Clip Speed dialog should tell me the correct clip frames per second, or if I've selected multiples it should be blank, I should be able to change that to be 24fps to match the timeline fps and it should then update all selected clips with that setting.

This would save a whole lot of time, frustration and confusion.

I don't have a film industry background so I can't understand the rationale of why it is currently setup to give the timeline frame rate when I'm adjusting the speed of a clip. Maybe there's some rationale?

Thanks.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: Confused / frustrated working with mixed frame rates (bu

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 am

Use the Clip Attributes in Media Pool to over-ride the frame-rate if you want slow-mo. You might need to do this before you edit the clip in to the timeline.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Kye Leslie

Re: Confused / frustrated working with mixed frame rates (bu

PostTue Jan 23, 2018 3:56 am

Thanks Rohit, I'll try that and see if I can adjust multiple clips at once.

I still don't understand why the Change Clip Speed dialog says 24fps. I'm assuming there's some film industry technical context that I'm missing - otherwise it's just wrong and a bug.

Return to DaVinci Resolve