Mini Panel 1.1 Gain auto inc with Resolve 14b1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael Sin

Mini Panel 1.1 Gain auto inc with Resolve 14b1

PostSat May 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Got the DaVinci Resolve Mini Panel for a while and it works fine with Resolve 12.5.5 (Panel firmware 1.0)

I am trying out the Resolve 14 Beta 1, it will automatically upgrade the Mini Panel firmware to 1.1

However, whenever I switch to color grading, the Gain (the right most wheel) is keeping on increasing (or sometimes decreasing) indefinitely.

If I press the "Öffset" button on Mini Panel, then the Gain stop increasing, but then the offsets are increasing as shown in the DaVinci Resolve offset value on its screen.

It seems to be a bug of 1.1 firmware, of Resolve software bug, since this Mini Panel (firmware 1.0) works fine with Resolve 12.5.5.

Any advises in how to fix this annoying problem?

Regards,

Michael

Michael Sin

Re: Mini Panel 1.1 Gain auto inc with Resolve 14b1

PostTue May 16, 2017 10:05 am

Hi,

Does anyone have similar problem of the Mini Panel? Any advises to solve this annoying problem?

Regards,

Michael

Jorge Camarena

PostSun Feb 18, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi, Michael I am having the exact same problem, did you ever find a way to fix it?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 1:31 am

Jorge, this thread is quite old.

Please detail what exact version of Resolve you are using if you see a problem.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jorge Camarena

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 4:01 pm

Hi Peter,

I am running DaVinci_Resolve_14.3 on Mac Os 10.13.3
I have the same problem michael described:

"However, whenever I switch to color grading, the Gain (the right most wheel) is keeping on increasing (or sometimes decreasing) indefinitely

Tried reinstalling resolve, bots USB-C and Ethernet, and nothing seems to fix it. Tried diferent coomputers as well.

If anyone found a solution to this it would be very helpful, I love the Mini Panel but at this point i cant use it because of that problem. I posted videos with the problem here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/82eabuw4tdr9 ... hQ4Ja?dl=0

Marc Wielage

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 1:18 am

Jorge Camarena wrote:However, whenever I switch to color grading, the Gain (the right most wheel) is keeping on increasing (or sometimes decreasing) indefinitely.

I have seen this happen a handful of times, but not very often.

A couple of suggestions:

1) sometimes, just turning the panel off and on will reset it and cause the problem to go away. (I have my panel on a dedicated AC switch for this purpose.) Resolve should instantly recognize the panel and then load the parameters back in, and it should be back up and running in a few moments.

2) I have seen cases where the trackball pots get dirty, resulting in unexpected malfunctions. It may help if you shut down the program, power down the panel, then lift out the magnetic rings and balls and use compressed air to blow out the dust and dirt that's gathered in there. A lint-free rag (like a Texwipe) and a few drops of isopropyl alcohol may help as well. You would be amazed at the gunk that can accumulate after only a few months.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:06 am

If cleaning the gain trackball housing doesn't work its likely to be a loose cable from the assembly to the board inside. You might need to return the panel to BMD support for them to open and check the cable.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jorge Camarena

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi Marc and Peter,

thank you for the response.

I have already tried everything you mentioned Marc with no succes, in fact the Panel is rather new and I had already sent it to BMD support and they told me they couldnt see the issue. So I have no idea what to do, i amg oing to try to call them again and send it.

Thank you.

Michael Sin

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 8:19 am

Hi,

Finally, I got a replacement unit from BMD and the new one works perfectly now. It was an intermediate hardware failure of the previous Mini Panel.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions from everyone.

Regards,

Michael

Marc Wielage

PostThu Aug 30, 2018 11:57 pm

Michael Sin wrote:Finally, I got a replacement unit from BMD and the new one works perfectly now. It was an intermediate hardware failure of the previous Mini Panel.

Glad this mystery was finally solved. I have seen this on several different control panels, but it's one of those "1 in a million" things that doesn't happen often. Usually, rebooting the hardware and the software will reset everything back to normal... usually.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve