.WAVplayback question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Greyic

.WAVplayback question

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 5:44 pm

I'm using Resolve 14.2.1 on Windows 10. I imported a couple of .WAV music files into the media pool, and they playback in great quality in the media pool and farlight, but all of a sudden while I was color grading, they stopped playing back properly in the timeline. The sound is really bad, choppy, muffled and full of static. All the other externally recorded audio(dialogue and sound) plays fine on the timeline. The rate and bit depth of these music files are the same as the other audio, 16bit, 44100hz. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Thanks

Jean Claude

Re: .WAVplayback question

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi,
Hard to answer. Perhaps
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69837
:)
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Cary Knoop

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:00 pm

Greyic wrote:... all of a sudden while I was color grading, they stopped playing back properly in the timeline. The sound is really bad, choppy, muffled and full of static. All the other externally recorded audio(dialogue and sound) plays fine on the timeline. The rate and bit depth of these music files are the same as the other audio, 16bit, 44100hz. Is there anything I'm missing here?

I would only use (resampled) 48k audio for any video.

Jean Claude

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Simply and by default:
Edit page: audio is privileged
Color page: the video is privileged

You can do a test in Edit page: click on the small buttons at the top right of the timeline viewer and select "show all video frames." If you have a problem is that your (PC? Or MAC? Or LINUX? GPU? ) is not powerful enough, even if you are in EDIT page
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Greyic

PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:12 pm

Cary Knoop wrote:
Greyic wrote:... all of a sudden while I was color grading, they stopped playing back properly in the timeline. The sound is really bad, choppy, muffled and full of static. All the other externally recorded audio(dialogue and sound) plays fine on the timeline. The rate and bit depth of these music files are the same as the other audio, 16bit, 44100hz. Is there anything I'm missing here?

I would only use (resampled) 48k audio for any video.

I'm using a 48k resampled wav, and the problem persists. Is there another format I should use?
I'm using PC. It's a pretty powerful laptop.

Greyic

PostSun Feb 25, 2018 10:55 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Simply and by default:
Edit page: audio is privileged
Color page: the video is privileged

You can do a test in Edit page: click on the small buttons at the top right of the timeline viewer and select "show all video frames." If you have a problem is that your (PC? Or MAC? Or LINUX? GPU? ) is not powerful enough, even if you are in EDIT page

But if the audio is favored on edit page, wouldn't it sound good on the edit page? My audio sounds bad on the edit page, and good in fairlight.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Feb 26, 2018 12:47 am

George, please refer to

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69837
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Return to DaVinci Resolve