Media Offline Issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

willmckay

Media Offline Issue

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:40 pm

I recently purchased a Sony A7III & was testing out the 4K features & I've run into issues once in Davinci.

I uploaded the 4K .mov files into Final Cut X then exported my timelines via .xml file to my external hard drive (where the original files were located). I then went to create a new project & upload my .xml file to the project, however I was prompted with a message that said my clips were not found. I then tried to locate the original clips by selecting the folder where they are found, however a message came up that only half of the clips were found. When going to my media pool, the file names of the clips were there but only the audio showed up, no video.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

willmckay

Re: Media Offline Issue

PostThu Apr 19, 2018 6:49 pm

I've tried shooting with no picture profile, slog2, and slog3 & have had no success.

Files uploaded directly to Resolve work fine, just run into issues when importing a .xml file from FCPX.
Last edited by willmckay on Tue May 01, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Please detail your OS and if you are on free or studio version.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Marc Wielage

PostFri Apr 20, 2018 3:18 pm

willmckay wrote:...however I was prompted with a message that said my clips were not found. I then tried to locate the original clips by selecting the folder where they are found, however a message came up that only half of the clips were found. When going to my media pool, the file names of the clips were there but only the audio showed up, no video.

Generally, when this problem happens, it's because you have conflicting file names or duplicate timecodes. One huge flaw with cameras like the A7S is that every day you shoot, it renames new files as "C001, C002, C003" and so on. That means you could potentially have dozens or even hundreds of files with identical names. The best workflow is to have unique file names for every single clip, and one solution is to add a prefix at the end of the production day, like the date ("042018_C001" and so on) to help distinguish one clip from the other.

Another huge flaw is that the camera does not use external timecode and so cannot employ the usual time-of-day code used on professional shoots. Because of that, every clip begins with 00:00:00:00 timecode, which is problematic for a lot of reasons. If you can overcome at least the filename problem, the workflow can be dealt with.

One solution for the timecode issue is to transcode every clip prior to editing and convert it to ProRes422HQ or a similar codec and new timecode, and just arbitrarily start with Hour 1 for the first shot of the day and keep going linearally for the rest of the shots. This also helps avoid known issues with the overhead of H.264-based cameras like the A7S.

There's also the 8-bit problem of the camcorder, but that you can't overcome.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

willmckay

PostTue May 01, 2018 9:31 pm

OS is macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.14
Using the free software

Uli Plank

PostTue May 01, 2018 10:52 pm

If it's any similar to it's predecessors, the camera should be able to add TC, just no external source, but from it's own clock. Just needs to be activated, in my A7R II it's in the third menu under the 'suitcase' header.

Problem with XMLs from FCP can missing information in the reel/tape field too. You can add that with tools like EditReady.

The naming issue can be overcame by organizing clips in folders or with a tool like Renamer.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve