3D Video Monitor Lookup Table question

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Michael_Barbero

3D Video Monitor Lookup Table question

PostSat Jun 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi,

This may sound a dumb question... I never used monitor calibration IN DaVinci Resolve. I was wondering what is the use case/ benefit when you have a monitor (primary or external) already well calibrated.

My monitor is calibrated using DisplayCAL/ Color Munki (83.5% sRGB). When applying the 3D VMLT it seems as if the calibrations are stacking. Footage results faded/ washed. I am missing something?
Once again forgive me if my question is dumb (I'm a former Premiere Pro user)

Thank you all for enlightening me!

My setup:
DVR 15 beta 4
Laptop MSI GS63VR 16Go Core i7 6700 GTX 1060 6Go.
Attachments
Resolve_2018-with-3d-lut-color-management.jpg
Resolve_2018-with-3d-lut-color-management.jpg (402.18 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
Resolve_2018-with-3d-lut.jpg
Resolve_2018-with-3d-lut.jpg (365.89 KiB) Viewed 1920 times
Resolve_2018-only-icm.jpg
Resolve_2018-only-icm.jpg (403.27 KiB) Viewed 1920 times

Michael_Barbero

Re: 3D Video Monitor Lookup Table question

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 9:20 am

More (detailed) questions... about not being sure how resolve interact with OS color management ->
Laptop Default Gamma 2.2 vs Lut Video 3D for Resolve (D65, Rec. 709/ Rec. 1886)

What I'm supposed to do? Deactivate my icc profile when using the 3D Lut... but is there any sense to use Davinci calibration without decklink ? Should ICC calibration not be used for film/tv work? ...

I understand Resolve is intended to work with an output card and a standard conform monitoring, but in the perspective to build a "cheap/ quick" grading suite... can I rely on the Internal player for color accurate monitoring? if so, what about the relation between the 3D Video Monitor Lut and the Internal player ?

Thanks for your help, I checked the user manual but didn't find the answers I'm looking for.

Michael_Barbero

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 9:58 am

I may have found part of my answers in this thread ->
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=75330

Code: Select all
Vcgt means video card gamma table - it's what provides the "calibration" for your monitor in the ICC profile (loaded by DisplayCAL's profile loader). [b]If you include it in your 3DLUT (it's a checkbox in DisplayCAL's 3DLUT maker), the calibration correction will be applied twice[/b], which is incorrect. You could choose to blacklist Resolve in DisplayCAL's profile loader, so that it will unload the gamma LUT whenever you start Resolve, and apply it again once you quit Resolve, but if you alt+tab out of Resolve while it is running, colours in other applications will be incorrect.

Long story short it is the most intuitive to not include the vcgt in any 3DLUTs you make for Resolve
Last edited by Michael_Barbero on Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tero Ahlfors

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 am

The 3D video monitor lookup table only goes to the I/O device. If you don't have one then it really doesn't matter. You can set up LUTs for the viewers so you could measure your patches from that and make a calibration LUT from there. You should also set the scope LUTs to no LUT selected because by default they are using the same LUT as the video monitor selection.

Also read page 667-668 in the latest Resolve 14 manual.

Michael_Barbero

PostSun Jun 24, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks for your answer Tero :)

I am aware of setting the scope LUTs to no LUT selected.... page 667-668 didn't bring me enough detailed information, that's why my question here. I found (part of) my answer in the previous mentioned thread (If you include it in your 3DLUT (it's a checkbox in DisplayCAL's 3DLUT maker), the calibration correction will be applied twice)

Thanks again!

Return to DaVinci Resolve