[help] How to know the clip in bin was in timeline?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Son Cao

[help] How to know the clip in bin was in timeline?

PostWed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 am

Hi. (sorry about my English)

I'm using Edius & Premiere, and trying to use Resolve. I was looking in menu & setting but i can't see anything to know a clip in bin was insert to timline or not.
Ex below Edius & Premiere (picture):

And Resolve here

Please help. Thanks. :)

Son Cao

Re: [help] How to know the clip in bin was in timeline?

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 7:33 am

Help please!

ejpontius

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:14 pm

I don't think such a feature exists in Resolve. Keep in mind that Resolve was primarily for color correction and grading so the ability to really edit within in it is relatively new. So you'll most likely find that a lot of features that are pretty common within NLE's like Premiere Pro will be missing.
The good thing is that Blackmagic is pretty good about adding features in future versions that users want.

Igor Riđanović

PostThu Jul 19, 2018 8:17 pm

I would note the clip name. Then I'd open sequences that I suspect may contain this clip, one at a time. On the edit page there is Edit Index where you can search the timeline looking for a specific clip name.
www.metafide.com - DaVinci Resolve™ Apps

Peter Cave

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 1:55 am

Hi Son,

In the Media Pool you can set the 'usage' column to be visible in list view and then right click in the Media Pool and choose “Update usage” to refresh the information shown in the Usage column to reflect how many times each clip is used in the project. Info is in the manual.
Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 11.56.54 am.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 11.56.54 am.png (71.69 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

You can also use 'match frame' when the source clip is loaded into the source viewer and the viewer is the active window. This will reveal the clip in the timeline if it has been used. You need to use a section of the clip that may have been used, as only actual frames in the timeline can be matched.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

ejpontius

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm

That gets him part way.
I think what he was looking for was a feature that is in many Adobe products that by selecting an asset in the project folder, it will tell you how many times that asset has been used and give you a drop down that shows which timelines it is in.

Jean Claude

PostFri Jul 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Personally I like SmartBin to treat the USAGE flag and the EDIT INDEX in the EDIT tab.
Also "Assist using reel names from the" in Settings.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

Return to DaVinci Resolve