Help Bringing in Timelapse (5K) Into 4K Video Timeline!?!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

bokehraton

Help Bringing in Timelapse (5K) Into 4K Video Timeline!?!

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi there,

I am running Resolve Studio 14.

I need some help bringing in a timelapse video (5184x3888) into my main timeline (3840x2160)

So, I made some timelapses by using a Syrp Genie to pan and fire my camera every few seconds. I ended up with hundreds of individual photos per time lapse, usually taking 30+ minutes in real life to capture each one.

I dragged all of those many photos into the media pool, and Resolve seemed to recognize them and only showed a single item (not hundreds of photos).

When I drag that single item into a new timeline, it creates a nice short time lapse video about 10 seconds long. I can preview it just fine and it looks great. If I only wanted to Deliver a single time lapse video, I'd be all set!

My problem is I don't know how to bring this timelapse 'video' into my main timeline. My main timeline is set up to be 3840x2160. The main timeline has all of my work in it (an interview, 4 audio channels, B-Roll, etc.)

When I try to drag the timelapse into the main timeline, I just get the red circle with a line through it, and Resolve won't let me drag and drop it.

My first guess is that it's because the resolutions are different. I have the project settings set to 'scale entire image to fit'.

- Should I be making the timelapse 'video' in a completely different project?
- Am I missing something basic on how to scale/resize different footage?
- I have done something similar before, but it was with bringing in video footage of a different
resolution into a timeline. This is slightly different because it is a 'timelapse', created from hundreds of
still images that Resolve has used to create a new timeline.

I checked the manual, especially Chapters 19 and 22, but.. well, the manual is incredibly long, and the answer is either not there or I missed it.

Any and all help and advise is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason

Uli Plank

Re: Help Bringing in Timelapse (5K) Into 4K Video Timeline!?

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 3:59 am

I'm puzzled, since it works for me. But one thing you might try is setting your time-lapse clip's speed to the same as your timeline under it's "Clip Attributes".

Another thing to try would be making it a compound clip in it's own timeline and copy that one over into the main project.

Worst case, a simple workaround is rendering it out in a high quality codec, like ProRes or DNxHR 444 and use that.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

bokehraton

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm

Hey there! Thank you for your reply! In a forum where it seems a lot of posts go unanswered, I'm fortunate to get a reply!

Ok, so I did a lot of experimenting in the past day, trying to get it to work. I WAS ABLE to bring in the timelapse into my working timeline (but it's still the wrong size, I think it's called pillar-boxed?) (5184 x 3888 RAW images vs. 3840 x 2160 Video)

I converted the RAW images of the timelapse to .DNG files, grabbed all 700 of them, and dropped them into their own Bin in the Media Pool for my main working project. Resolve seemed to recognize them as being 700 images that are part of a timelapse, because it only added a single item into the media pool. Cool!

I was then able to drag it down into a new Video track on my main timeline.

I still can't figure out how to fit/scale the timelapse down to the 4K resolution of the main video. :cry: :?:

Disclaimer: This probably seems simple to many people, but we are not a professional video company. We work in some unique industries, and when we want to make a marketing video, it often takes weeks or MONTHS just to get all of the raw footage. Add in a few interviews with VP/Executive types, and this particular project I am working on has been 6 months in the making! I couldn't find ANYONE willing to take on this project for us, and I don't blame them. I don't know any professional videographers who would be willing to travel to multiple states, sometimes across the country, hang out at a site for 36 hours just to get a few minutes of video footage for one small part of the final video (We don't always know the schedules since the work site is dynamic and the schedule isn't known until it's literally happening right NOW!)

So, in short, we make our own in-house videos, hence we would consider ourselves to be very much amateurs in creating videos. Thanks for your help and patience!

Jack Fairley

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 5:49 pm

On the edit tab, select the clip and look at "Retime And Scaling" controls under the inspector. "Fill" will scale to fill the timeline aspect ratio, crop will punch all the way in to the timeline resolution on the source clip.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to DaVinci Resolve