Extremely long boot up time - 'Looking For Control Surface'

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Danny Field

Extremely long boot up time - 'Looking For Control Surface'

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 9:52 am

Hi there

I'm finding that it takes a really long time to boot. Stuck on the 'Looking for Control Surface' for a really long time. It's around 5 minutes to boot into Resolve. If I try to click out or something else, it'll crash. So I have to start it up and then go make a cup of coffee.

Running a 970 GTX GPU, and I've never had an issue with the previous Resolve versions. It used to always load pretty quick, like around 10 seconds. I don't have a control surface, but it's never been an issue before. BUT I do have a BM dongle, so I wonder if that is 'somehow' causing the issue.

Edit: I'm on PC as well. Windows 10

Todd Groves

Re: Extremely long boot up time - 'Looking For Control Surfa

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:02 pm

I don't have that issue. I work on an iMac Pro. And I too have a dongle. So, maybe its a system problem.

Tony Martin

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:29 pm

There has always been a delay while it looks for a control surface (but not as bad as that).

But I have always wondered why it is looking in the first place when I have told it that I do not have a control surface.

That's in Preferences\Control Panels\Select this panel for grading [None].

I am assuming that it has not read the Preferences at that stage.

Maybe then, the Control Panel setting should be saved in a separate preferences file so that it can be read earlier on in the boot-up sequence.

I am guessing that that the number of non-panel users is much greater than the number of panel users.

Dermot Shane

PostSat Apr 14, 2018 3:29 pm

not seeing that either,

mutiple machines, all w10, all with licenced software

but all have EUcon client installed so Resolve sees a surface... does not seem to matter if the physical surface is connected to a particular machine

on start up Resolve 15.b1 goes through the "looking for surfaces" page reasonably quickly on all machines

i'll boot up my machine at home and check that, it does not have EUcon on it, but it does have licenced software

Danny Field

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 12:46 am

Mmm. Thank you everyone for the responses.

I timed it today and it took 10 minutes just to get through the 'Looking for Control Surface' and then the rest such as 'Fairlight' and 'Color' loaded up in 3 seconds each.

I haven't done a lot of troubleshooting as yet. Heard some other people had the same issue and a reboot fixed it, but it hasn't worked for me.

Just seems really weird as it never took longer than 30 seconds with Resolve 14. And I've not added any device or anything to the system.

Todd Groves

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 1:24 am

I don't have a surface, either. Resolve launches fine for me. Maybe its in the preference settings. Just a guess.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Apr 16, 2018 2:58 pm

follow up, no issues on my machine at home either, it does not have EUcon installed, it is the studio version

Danny Field

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll have a solid look now. Looking through the logs now, as well as the preferences.

Just seems really odd. In the logs it shows

10:02:12 | Running Fairlight
10:02:12 | socket failed to connect to server, error: 10061

then ten minutes later in the log haha

10:12:47 | Creating shared OpenGl

Though interesting enough, it states 'The DaVinci Resolve Panels setup application is not compatible with this version of Resolve.

Anyhoo, I'll keep looking for the issue and hope it's possible fixed in the next version.... Or I'll just wait ten minutes for it to load each time.... At least it's working.

Godahfm

PostMon May 28, 2018 8:48 am

Hi,
I have the same issues as Danny, in my case the program stops booting even for a longer time, around 15 minutes.
So if there is a solution it would be nice to hear about it.
Thank you in advance.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed May 30, 2018 9:54 am

Can you provide a link to the logs?
We doubt its the panels.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Danny Field

PostSat Jun 09, 2018 3:30 am

No worries. I'll post a log now as every update has been doing the same thing. Never happened with Resolve 14, and I've changed nothing within my PC. Two logs there, one created within Resolve, and the other one from creating a zip file within the directory [just the txt file].

https://drive.google.com/open?id=101QJJ ... GL8i9a7ol6

The main issue is the delay as seen here:
[0x000050f0] | SyManager | ERROR | 2018-06-09 12:55:31,566 | DRIVER: panel connection failed
[0x000050f0] | SyManager | ERROR | 2018-06-09 12:55:32,567 | socket failed to connect to server, error: 10061
[0x00004ae4] | UI.GLContext | INFO | 2018-06-09 13:17:21,096 | Creating shared OpenGL context for this thread (2 total).

Hope this helps and we can 'resolve' this strange issue.

easycass

PostMon Jun 11, 2018 8:05 am

Hi, while I do not have the 10 or 15 minutes delay as the above users have reported, I do get about 10 to 15 seconds of delay while starting up. It is tolerable, but, like one user above, I cannot fathom why it is even looking for a control surface when I have 'None' selected in preferences. Be nice to have just a little bit sharper startup time... :)

Anyone know why it is even looking for control surfaces if I have that option deselected?
Cass Cassim
Photographer / World Traveller

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cassimages/

Win 10 Pro 64 Bit v 1803-17134.345 - DaVinci Studio v 15.1.2.008
i7-7700HQ 32 GB / GTX 1070 MaxQ 8 GB

quarryman

PostSun Aug 12, 2018 6:19 pm

I had the same problem.I ran CCleaner and found I had duplicate files.I deleted the duplicate files and now Resolve opens in a matter of a few seconds.

Danny Field

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:15 am

quarryman wrote:I had the same problem.I ran CCleaner and found I had duplicate files.I deleted the duplicate files and now Resolve opens in a matter of a few seconds.

Interesting. I'm gonna try that now. Maybe when I installed Resolve 15 over 15, it caused the issue there.

Thanks

EDIT : Nope. Didn't work at all. Didn't find any duplicated files. Ran the cleaner, and reg, but still sitting on the 'Looking for Control Surface'

easycass

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 am

Hi there, I had written previously that I see a small few seconds delay, but nothing long like what you are seeing.

Have you tried creating a new user account of Admin status, and running from that new account. It is a good way to test software with a fairly clean user-registry setup...

Just an idea ;)
Cass Cassim

Micha Clazing

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 9:09 am

You know, that delay would be a lot more tolerable if there were an openly documented interface for the Panel Daemons so we could devise our own hardware interfaces without resorting to AutoHotKey or ControllerMate. *hint* *hint*

Albert Hofmann

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 9:45 pm

See possible solution in this other thread: Re: 20 minute start up for Resolve Studio 15. (the control surface is innocent)

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 2:00 am

Thank you Albert

I replied to the other thread of mine. I actually don't have any network drives installed. Simple machine, all internal hard drives.

@ Micha Yeah, the delay is getting worse. Like I'd be ok with 15 seconds, but 20 minutes is a pain. 15 crashes more and freezes more than 14. I don't even have any panels installed, so it shouldn't be sitting on there for 10 minutes.

@ easycass - I'll tried that and didn't seem to work. Might try safe mode tonight and see if that somehow gets around it. It doesn't make any sense. All previous versions of Resolve worked without a single issue. I never even had a crash once. Install 15 beta 1 and long load up time. beta 1 was 10 minutes, and now it's 10 minutes stuck on splash screen, and then 10 minutes of sitting there [no splash] until the project window appears. Really strange.

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 am

UPDATE:

I uninstalled everything Blackmagic [Resolve, Fairlight, etc] based. Ran CCCleaner to clean everything.

Rebooted and installed Resolve Studio 14.3. Took 16 seconds to boot to the project window, compared to 20 minutes with 15.0

I had a look at the log and it still shows the Error 10061 relating to the 'socket failed to connect'. So I don't know. Guess I'll stay on Resolve 14.3 for a long while.

As a side note - for Resolve 14, I didn't install PostgreSQL 9.5.4-1, even though I had uninstalled it. Not sure if it is needed. Visual C++ 2013 and 2010 were still installed. I also installed the Panels even though I don't have any.

easycass

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 4:39 am

That is good news at least.

May I ask, have you tried the same process prior to installing v 15; as in, uninstalling, running your clean-up software, etc, then installing exactly the same items as you have now? I noted that also one may have to uninstall the panel application separately...

Just a thought, as it would be a shame to miss out on the v 15 update...

Bets of luck,
Cass.
Cass Cassim

Micha Clazing

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 am

Danny Field wrote:As a side note - for Resolve 14, I didn't install PostgreSQL 9.5.4-1, even though I had uninstalled it. Not sure if it is needed. Visual C++ 2013 and 2010 were still installed. I also installed the Panels even though I don't have any.

Postgres only needs to be installed if you intend to run a project database locally on your workstation, instead of using the standard disk DB or connecting to a remote database server.

Danny Field

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 1:33 pm

@ easycass - I kinda did. To a semi degree. I did uninstall one of the beta's along with the other BM stuff (Even Media Express) but didn't CCleaner. I semi started fresh, but with a backup of my projects and such. I could try again, but I found 14 to be fully what I needed. Maybe one day when I have time, I'll look into 15 again.

@ Micha Yeah, I had Postgres installed previously with 14. I didn't need it, but 14 still ran fine with it. So I wasn't completely sure. I just mentioned it, in case one of the dev's thought that it might be the cause of my Resolve 15 boot time. The more info they have, the better in solving this crazy load time. I even mentioned once about having a dongle. But turns out people were able to run it smoothly with one. Heck, even the firewall settings had a look through, in case it was being blocked.

Return to DaVinci Resolve