Some bugs, mostly with Fairlight

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mike Halper

Some bugs, mostly with Fairlight

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 12:05 am

Here are some bugs I've come across, mostly just this week. Some are backed with descriptions/experiences I've had previously, but the issues still exist.

1. Occasionally Resolve will stop playing anything. The rest of the GUI works, but playback in any way does not. Can’t use JKL, space bar, control surface playback controls, or the on-screen transport. The only way to fix it is to save and restart the app. Has happened with 2 different projects.

2. If you start Resolve and go to the Finder while it’s loading the project, after the project loads Resolve will not function. Clicking on the GUI gives an error beep sound from the computer. Must Force Quit and restart the app. I’ve experienced this several times loading different projects.

3. Audio plays from tracks that are muted or not soloed and even from parts of audio clips that are not actually on any track. Usually happens with audio clips that have been cut up. For example, cut up some dialogue, move some clips of that dialog to different tracks. Later go back and play with one or more tracks muted or soloed. You might hear audio from a track playing even though it has been muted or is not soloed.

Sometimes I’ll hear audio from an audio clip that isn’t on any track. For example, you trim a clip back to remove a sound effect or words you don’t want to hear anymore. Later you find that it still plays that part of the clip even though it’s no longer on the track. I’ve found most of the time I can fix that be extending the clip and then using the razor blade to cut it, then select and delete the part I don’t want. At least one time that method didn't work though and I couldn’t find a way to fix it besides deleting the Clio and editing it in fresh from the media pool.

With both of these issues, I’ve heard the errant audio at the normal level the clip is set to and also at a very reduced and difficult to hear level, but could still hear it. I’ve also heard it coming from speakers that it shouldn’t have come through. For example, an effect coming from the right front and right rear speakers, even though it should have been in the center. One instance, the sound was an sound effect on a center channel track, but was playing as if it was on a track I had panned 60% front/40% rear. I didn’t have any automation set and verified my patching and panning was correct.

This doesn’t happen every time. Maybe 5% of edits at the most, but it’s happened on three projects. Q shirt and 2 features. Projects are each in a different database. Experienced at least since beta 8.

4. Another example of playing the wrong audio: I cut some audio from a center dialog track and moved it to an fx track. Then all of a sudden Resolve is playing the dialogue track through the center and left rear channel. I didn't change anything, no settings, nothing, other than moving a single clip to a different track. Restarted and back to normal.

5. Yet another example of playing the wrong audio: A clip that I had disabled still played back audio, even when the track was set to Mute. I had to restart Resolve to get it to recognize that the clip was disabled and the track was Muted.

6. Frequently, when beginning playback there will be a short very loud feedback sound through the speakers. Very annoying.

7. The new effects cache does not work reliably. I’ve had many issues with caching of effects. Usually the audio is distorted in some way. Other times the new audio layer is blank. Turn off the caching for those clips and it works fine. Cache again, and same result. Sometimes I’ve gotten the cache to play well at first, and then when I go back to it later it’s distorted again. By distorted I mean there could be scrambled audio, something strange with the EQ happening, frequencies cut off, etc. A lot of different things happen.

8. I have my audio set up in the control room to allow me to playback through the Decklink card or the computer’s built-in output. I call the first one for the Decklink “5.1” and the other one I can “Computer Speakers”. When I switch to the setting for Computer Speakers in the Fairlight page I get audio through the speakers I have connected to the computer, but I also still get audio playback through the Decklink.

9. When delivering a Quicktime ProRes file with multiple tracks of audio and the option to output 1 track per channel checked (though it grayed out after adding the 2nd track), the resulting file does not have 1 track per channel. For example, if I want to export with 5.1, 2.0, and 2.0 M&E, I get a file that has a 5.1 stream, a stereo stream, and another stereo stream, instead of 10 separate tracks of audio.

10. Plugin effects work at first, but then as they are continuously adjusted, they no longer work. I’ve tried deactivating the plugin and reactivating it, changing settings for the plugin, switching pages in Resolve, and even removing the plugins and adding them again, and none of that works. Usually I have to quit Resolve and open it again to get the plugins to work, but one time that still didn’t work. I just ended up leaving the plugins removed from that particular clip for now. This has happened with at least 2 different projects that are in 2 different databases. This happened with Fairlight Noise Reduction, Fairlight Reverb, RX6 De-Reverb, and RX6 Voice Denoise, so it is not limited to just third party AU or VST plugins. It’s a Resolve issue.

11. When quitting Resolve and reopening it, the monitoring setting keeps defaulting back to Main 1. It should stay on the last setting it was set to, or at least give us the option. It’s annoying to have to set it to what is desired every time the project is opened.

12. Bug with GUI in the Edit page: Frequently I'll use the handle on the ends of audio and video clips to create a simple fade in or fade out, and I can't see the fade in or fade out. The bar for the clip just looks the same solid color. If I move the mouse over the start or end point of the fade I see the handle and can even still move it to adjust the fade, but visually I can't see the length or shape of the fade. Fixing it requires a restart.

13. Color page bug: With the Tangent Element control surface, with the Bt panel if you select menu B, then Window, then any of the window types (CPW, LPW, PPW, PCW), and then On/Off, it does not always turn on that window. Sometimes it will work a couple times in a session, but after that it stops working. Instead it goes to the first frame of the shot. I don't know what the difference is when it's working and not working. I reported this all the way back with Resolve 14 betas and it still hasn't been addressed.

14. Rendering MP4 or Quicktime files from the Deliver page gives a file with the file extension hidden, even when the option to hide the extension is NOT checked. This is annoying. This was reported at at least twice going back to an earlier 15 beta, and it still hasn't been addressed. This is not an OS issue as I’m on the same version of MacOS as I was with Resolve 14 and that didn’t have this issue.

Not a bug, but we really need to be able to edit audio at the sample level.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Peter Benson

Re: Some bugs, mostly with Fairlight

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 5:15 am

Mike, hello.
While you've not yet provided detailed specs of your system, amd and uploaded a Resolve Log Report (from Resolve's Help Menu), I can't help wondering about the overall health of your system -- including disk drive integrity (file fragmentation is but 1 example of "not healthy", as you're likely aware.

Hopefully, you *rarely* expose your system to the Internet, which might wreak havoc with your system.

As well. I surely hope you've made sure *no* anti-virus program or similar program/operation is running as a background task while running Resolve.

Also your OS drive hopefully is *not* populated with media files you're editing, right?

[Re]Pete
DTV 10.9.7 > Kingston SD5000T > MiniMonitor > Bravia | Samsung U28D590 | DRS 14.3.0.014 | Win8.1 x64 | ASUS G751JL, i7-4720HQ, 24GB | GTX965M | 1TB HDD, 500GB EVO 850 SSD | MCU Pro | Softube Console 1 Mkii | Shuttle Pro 2

Mike Halper

Re: Some bugs, mostly with Fairlight

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 5:22 am

Peter Benson wrote:Mike, hello.
While you've not yet provided detailed specs of your system, amd and uploaded a Resolve Log Report (from Resolve's Help Menu), I can't help wondering about the overall health of your system -- including disk drive integrity (file fragmentation is but 1 example of "not healthy", as you're likely aware.

Hopefully, you *rarely* expose your system to the Internet, which might wreak havoc with your system.

As well. I surely hope you've made sure *no* anti-virus program or similar program/operation is running as a background task while running Resolve.

Also your OS drive hopefully is *not* populated with media files you're editing, right?

[Re]Pete

You're assumptions are wrong. I've been doing this for nearly 20 years, using computers longer than that, and know how to run these systems and their software. It's not a "fragmentation" issue, a system "health" issue, viruses, virus detection software, and of course I don't have the media files on the system drive. And logs aren't going to show these issues either. I'm not listing crashes that the logs would be helpful for. And when I do experience crashes (and I have) I submit the crash report to BMD using the window that pops up. And yes, my system is satisfactorily listed in my signature.

Don't go assuming someone is an amateur when they post bugs that they're hoping BMD can fix to the benefit of the rest of the user base. I'm not the only one having some of these issues either, and others have reported some of them as well. I'm reporting these because there's a ton of potential with Resolve/Fairlight with all the work that BMD has been doing with it and I'd like to see it improve to a more usable state as quickly as possible.
IMac Pro Hackintosh, 10 core i9, 64GB RAM, Radeon VII, Decklink 4K Mini Monitor, macOS 10.14.5, DaVinci Resolve Studio license

Return to DaVinci Resolve