Resolve 15+15.1.1 crash at "Loading Waveform Monitor"

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

a_name_indeed

Resolve 15+15.1.1 crash at "Loading Waveform Monitor"

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 6:04 am

(If I have my forum topic in the wrong area, that is my bad!)

So I had recently upgraded my graphics card from a SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon RX 460 4GB to a Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 570 4GB, and ever since then, both Davinci Resolve 15 and 15.1.1 have not been able to load past "Loading Waveform Monitor" when starting up. (the program worked before installing the new GPU)

I was using the beta to Resolve 15 for a bit on my old GPU, didn't decide to upgrade it at the time til after I put my new GPU in, and I went to start it up, and it wouldn't load past Loading Waveform Monitor. At first I just let it sit there til it loaded up, but after it did, the program still didn't start. (If I clicked around, it would tell me that the program had crashed)

Decided to download and install Resolve 15.1.1 (after completely uninstalling and reinstalling Resolve 15 twice) to see if it would work, to no avail, so I thought I'd come to the forums to see if I could get any insight on the issue. Any help would be appreciated

I do have a ZIP of my Capture Logs on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vJQOA ... a-TW9zixzB

Specs

GPU: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 570 4GB
CPU: AMD FX(tm) 6300 Six-Core Processor 3.70 GHz
16GB of RAM
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 15+15.1.1 crash at "Loading Waveform Monitor"

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 6:27 am

Could you also provide a Windows System Information .NFO file?

What AMD driver package do you have installed?

Also, please try Resolve 15.1.2 which was just released.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

a_name_indeed

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

Here's the link to my .NHO file on my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T-q5R ... WoXJkZ1_81

I just tried 15.1.2 last night, same issue. Crashing exactly at Loading Waveform Monitor. I've been having a few issues with my new GPU recently, so I'm currently looking into that as well. (nothing major, I highly doubt it's causing the same issue with Resolve, but I guess you never know)

EDIT: Forgot to mention the driver I'm using is Radeon™ Software Adrenalin Edition 18.10.1

tobiasbeckett

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:37 pm

I'm having a very similar problem. Loaded the 15 beta onto my Windows 10 PC while using the built-in Vega 11 graphics, recently added an RX580 to the system and now Resolve 15.1.2 crashes at the waveform monitor. I've uninstalled but can reinstall if another crashlog will help fixing this problem. I am on Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.9.3.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:57 pm

Try Resolve 15.0.1. If that works, then the issue is probably related to your FX6300 AMD CPU.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

a_name_indeed

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 6:30 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Try Resolve 15.0.1. If that works, then the issue is probably related to your FX6300 AMD CPU.

Could you send me a link to download 15.0.1? I seemed to have deleted the installation ZIP by accident a few days ago. Searched my computer, and wasn't able to find it anywhere sadly.

marcus_st

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 9:37 am

You can find the last Resolve versions on the Blackmagic Design support page.

(I've tried to post the links here, but it seems I'm not allowed to do that)

I'm curious to see if it works for you. It doesn't seem to work for me.
Right now, I have no fix for Resolve not loading and it's a pain. I love the software and don't want to switch to something else.

Best regards

Marcus

BenSon

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm having the same issue, Resolve 15.1.2 and previous 15x versions stuck/crash at "Loading Waveform Monitor".

System: Windows 10 Pro 1809, Ryzen 1700, 16GB RAM, AMD Vega 64 GPU (Driver 18.10.1)
Last edited by BenSon on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Warren

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 3:21 am

a_name_indeed wrote:Could you send me a link to download 15.0.1? I seemed to have deleted the installation ZIP by accident a few days ago. Searched my computer, and wasn't able to find it anywhere sadly.

Free Version (Windows):
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... 49/Windows

Studio Version (Windows):
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/suppor ... b7/Windows

You can find all old versions back to V11 by scrolling through "Latest Downloads" on the left of this page:
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/
Resolve Studio 17.4.6 - Fusion Studio 17.2.2 - Windows 10
Gigabyte GTX1080ti 11GB - AMD 1950X - 64GB 2400
Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Intensity Pro 4k
Presonus 192 Audio Interface
Separate M.2 SSDs for OS and Resolve Cache

Sempai

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 3:14 am

Thought I'd create an account and hop on to see if anyone else was reporting this, as I just fixed it on one of my systems. I was able to reproduce it on every 15.x version of Resolve, but in my case I think the cause was my recent Windows 10 upgrade to 1809.

At the "Loading waveform monitor" section, I saw that DaVinci starts trying to load the fuscript.exe file in the DaVinci Resolve install folder. It would exit immediately after starting, repeatedly. I saw that fuscript could be run from the Command Prompt in a server mode, and when I tried it I got this:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve>fuscript -s
FusionScript Server [18052] failed to bind socket: Error 1

I then started watching the output of netstat.exe on my box, and saw that Resolve was trying to contact port 1144 on my own system. Watching fuscript closely, I found that it was trying to open a socket and listen on 1144, but it was being blocked. The weird thing was, nothing else was actively listening on port 1144 to cause fuscript to fail.

Some more troubleshooting found the root cause: my system's DynamicPortRange had somehow been moved way off of default:

netsh int ipv4 show dynamicportrange tcp

Protocol tcp Dynamic Port Range
---------------------------------
Start Port : 1024
Number of Ports : 13977

Fixing that to the normal default and a reboot finally let Resolve start! :)

netsh int ipv4 set dynamicportrange protocol=tcp startport=49152 numberofports=16384

Hope that helps anyone, as it was definitely maddening...

-Scott

BenSon

PostFri Oct 26, 2018 6:59 am

UPDATE: Radeon Software Version 18.10.2 has fixed the issue for me.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 4:36 pm

Sempai wrote:...I saw that DaVinci starts trying to load the fuscript.exe file in the DaVinci Resolve install folder. It would exit immediately after starting, repeatedly. I saw that fuscript could be run from the Command Prompt in a server mode, and when I tried it I got this:

C:\Program Files\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve>fuscript -s
FusionScript Server [18052] failed to bind socket: Error 1

I then started watching the output of netstat.exe on my box, and saw that Resolve was trying to contact port 1144 on my own system. Watching fuscript closely, I found that it was trying to open a socket and listen on 1144, but it was being blocked. The weird thing was, nothing else was actively listening on port 1144 to cause fuscript to fail.

Some more troubleshooting found the root cause: my system's DynamicPortRange had somehow been moved ...
Hope that helps anyone, as it was definitely maddening...

Is Resolve requiring the hard-coded port 1144? Is there any reason it's not just allocating a port in the configured available area? If it can't do that can it least notice what went wrong and tell the user? These sorts of problems are - as Scott has said - maddening to track down - especially for non-technical users.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve