Da Vinci Resolve Advanced Panels: customisable pages needed!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jo Hermann

Da Vinci Resolve Advanced Panels: customisable pages needed!

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi all, to all BMD and all Advanced Panels Users:

How's about customisable Pages on (at least the) Advanced Panels?

I.e., in window-mode:
why are there soft-buttons for "Invert" and "Matte/Mask" on the 'left' panel
and again soft-buttons for "Invert" and "Matte/Mask" on the 'center' panel?

We are looking for the "Highlight" toggle to get the "Highlight"-mode - oh, we have to switch via soft-button on the middle panel to "Qualifier" to be able to toggle... ah yeah, one could use the mouse, also – but is that why I spent 30kUS$ to make all use... the mouse again?

Btw: why is the the 'right' panel always showing "Input Sizing"? That's constantly four knobs and eight soft-buttons for a thing where there is a whole page for...

This is not a "quick, one touch access to virtually every parameter and control in the software." At least not as long as it's not customisable – imho.

/Again, as before:
sry for rant if it came across like this
filter Media GmbH & Co. - Postproduction
Salzburg/Austria

Aaron_Hayden

Re: Da Vinci Resolve Advanced Panels: customisable pages nee

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 6:04 pm

We are looking for the "Highlight" toggle to get the "Highlight"-mode - oh, we have to switch via soft-button on the middle panel to "Qualifier" to be able to toggle... ah yeah, one could use the mouse, also – but is that why I spent 30kUS$ to make all use... the mouse again?

Bottom of left panel next to "Still" and "Offline" there's a dedicated "Highlight" hard button. There's also a dedicated "Highlight" hard button on the right console near the transport controls.

Not sure how I feel about user customization with the Advanced Panel. There's something to be said about walking into any color bay with the advanced panel and knowing exactly how it works.
SuperWorkstation 5014A-TT
Threadripper Pro 5975wx / 128GB DDR4-3200 / RTX 4090 MSI TRIO / DeckLink 8K
Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Nvidia Studio driver 552.22
Windows 10 Pro 22H2
2 x 4TB NVMe Raid-0
44 x 14tb Drive Raid-10 NAS

Jo Hermann

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Aaron_Hayden wrote:

Bottom of left panel next to "Still" and "Offline" there's a dedicated "Highlight" hard button. There's also a dedicated "Highlight" hard button on the right console near the transport controls.

Not sure how I feel about user customization with the Advanced Panel. There's something to be said about walking into any color bay with the advanced panel and knowing exactly how it works.

Thanks for this hint (beneath the wiper, "HILITE" - however, way out of the way) - user customisation on panels should be handled like XYZ (name any program here) User Settings, where you can store, download, transfer and bring up the next deal en suite with your individual settings.

Still: why are there more or less useless pages on the screen ("Input Sizing") when we are doing different things? Even in sight of a hard wired button I'd prefer to enable me & my artists to have their own mapping (aside a long going discussions already in the archives for shutting down the panels on quit, even maybe replace the BMD-clouds by the local company's logos etc).

As much as I admire the evolvement of DVR - some things on the basics need to get more 2019. Imho.

And: this alternative is ridiculous:
Last edited by Jo Hermann on Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salzburg/Austria

Dermot Shane

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 pm

2019:
product-arc-plan copy.jpg
product-arc-plan copy.jpg (177.79 KiB) Viewed 989 times

- mappable? check
- context sensitive OLED buttons? check
- low profile? check
- 1/2 the price of Advanced? check
- supported by Resolve? sorry..... stuck in a 1998 timewarp....

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 8:59 pm

I am for more customization of the resolve panel...
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jo Hermann

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 9:18 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:I am for more customization of the resolve panel...

+1
Salzburg/Austria

Marc Wielage

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:33 pm

I have some notes on undocumented features and some expanded manual pages on the Advanced Panels at this link:

https://spaces.hightail.com/space/Bi9fa

The file is "Resolve Advanced Control Panel Documents.zip", collecting a bunch of stuff from years past.

Me personally, I love the Advanced Panels and see the glass as half-full: compared to everything else, I save an awful lot of time using them. Once you get the muscle memory to memorize where all the buttons and menus are, you can whiz through sessions very quickly. I actually think they're worth $30K. We paid ours off in less than 6 months' of sessions, and they're rock-solid in terms of construction and reliability.

Having said that: I think it's fair to say BMD is aware of user concerns and I wouldn't be surprised to see some updates at some point.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

seanross67

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 pm

I really like the panels. It would be great to customize the keys. I use about 30% of these panels, and most of my keys don't do me any good. Also, they haven't been updated at all with the software. There are lots of keys that do nothing, and many of the new functionality of Resolve cannot be accessed by them.

One really frustrating thing is how I can't use the sizing knobs for edit sizing. This would make conforms so much easier...
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

Marc Wielage

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 am

seanross67 wrote:One really frustrating thing is how I can't use the sizing knobs for edit sizing. This would make conforms so much easier...

Yeah, I'm 100% for that. I'm jealous that the Mini Panels do have the ability to adjust Edit sizing, but the Advanced Panels can't do that. Also, you can only adjust Output sizing while in the Timeline node tree. I think Input Sizing, Edit Sizing, Node Sizing, and Output Sizing should all be available just cycling through a button. I'm not sure Node Sizing is there at all on the Advanced panels, come to think of it.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve